Front wheel removal without stand?

crankinaway

Registered
Is there any other way to lift the bike to remove the front wheel? Good jacking points? I got a very nice redline rear stand but without spending anymore cake would like to remove the front wheel to get it polished.

You could use an engine lift with some straps under the front end...just support it from flopping over to the left or right side. Having the rear stand supporting the back may be a good idea.

If you have a way to support the bike so it doesn't tip, you can us a jack and peice of wood under the header pipes.

Strap around the frame neck, not the tripe tree and hang it from something secure with the rear on the stand. Ratchet it up slow and carefull, the ratchet straps take up slack on one side and the frame isnt smooth enough for it to even itself out.

If you have a way to support the bike so it doesn't tip, you can us a jack and peice of wood under the header pipes.

Isn't the bike too heavy for this method, my friend did his 750 like this.

I like the strap idea, but I got nothing to strap to overhead.

Isn't the bike too heavy for this method, my friend did his 750 like this.

I like the strap idea, but I got nothing to strap to overhead.

The stock header is plenty strong enough to do this. Aftermarket systems may be strong enough as well, but I wouldn't try it.

I don't own a front stand and have changed a zillion front tires (3 since March).

Put bike up on the rear stand.

Once the bike is up on the rear stand, I simply use a hydraulic floor jack (one with 4 wheels) to lift up the bike at the oil drain plug. There's an aluminum lip around it that is central on the bike and a good lift point.

I have tie down straps hanging from the rafters in my garage and attach those to the bars which have Canyon Dancer straps on them. As bike goes up, just cinch up the straps as you go for safety.

Easy, cheap, works.

Last edited:
I don't own a front stand and have changed a zillion front tires (3 since March).

Once the bike is up on the rear stand, I simply use a hydraulic floor jack (one with 4 wheels) to lift up the bike at the oil drain plug. There's an aluminum lip around it that is central on the bike and a good lift point.

I have tie down straps hanging from the rafters in my garage and attach those to the bars which have Canyon Dancer straps on them. As bike goes up, just cinch up the straps as you go for safety.

Easy, cheap, works.

:rofl: I know that works, but it's funny that the man that sells everything doesn't have it...and because you don't actually need it. Resourceful and practical, don't see that much any more.:beerchug:

Quick and easy with a piece of mind is a good Pitbull front stand @ $125 initial investment. Drop the bike once and add it up.

All you need is a good sturdy milk crate and a friend. Remove the front fender and loosen the axle and pinch bolts first. Then lean the bike over on the side stand. The front tire will lift before the rear. Take the axle out, twist the brake calipers out to clear the wheel and then drop the wheel. Slide the crate under the fork tube ends and lower the bike carefully onto the crate. Reverse the process to reinstal.

Easy, cheap, works.

A friend of mine does the same thing, however he puts a hockey puck in the cup on the jack. If your in Connecticut you can borrow my Pitbull front stand.

Believe it or not the jack point is the oil pan, if I remember correctly it's referenced as such in the shop / service manual.

I've done it before on my '06 with just the bike on the center stand (accessory) and a floor jack with a piece of 2X4 to distribute the load more evenly.

If you haven't removed the front wheel before, a couple of key points:
- Loosen all 4 fender bolts
- Remove both front calipers (wheel won't come off if you don't) and support by tying or bungee to triple tree
- Loosen the axle cinch bolts on the rider's right side
- Loosen the axle
- Loosening of the cinch bolts on the rider's left side and removal of axle nut isn't necessary but it helps
- Support the wheel while twisting and pulling out the axle
- Once the axle is removed lift the fender to clear the wheel and roll the wheel out.

Believe it or not the jack point is the oil pan, if I remember correctly it's referenced as such in the shop / service manual.

I've done it before on my '06 with just the bike on the center stand (accessory) and a floor jack with a piece of 2X4 to distribute the load more evenly.

If you haven't removed the front wheel before, a couple of key points:
- Loosen all 4 fender bolts
- Remove both front calipers (wheel won't come off if you don't) and support by tying or bungee to triple tree
- Loosen the axle cinch bolts on the rider's right side
- Loosen the axle
- Loosening of the cinch bolts on the rider's left side and removal of axle nut isn't necessary but it helps
- Support the wheel while twisting and pulling out the axle
- Once the axle is removed lift the fender to clear the wheel and roll the wheel out.

Good you can come by and do mine :)

Automotive lift works great too!! 4 straps,.......and up,..up,...UP and AWAY you go!!! Oh.......forgot,........if you don't have a $100 front stand,.....you probably do not own a $3000 auto lift! :banghead:

:laugh:

I used my deer hoist once, (boat winch) and lifted with a nylon strap on the bars with a two by four spanner and "V" notches cut in the ends, the rear was sitting on my pit-bull. After that I got the Pit-bull for the front too because it was way heavier than the Strom and I was afraid that I would hose up the throttle. Somebody made a neat "hook" that fit down through the hollow steering head that appeared to do nice lift by using an overhead hoist. Pics are somewhere on this board.

Got my engine lift at PepBoys for $160 or so. Best tool in the garage. Since I figured this out I never even use my $600 Kendon bike lift.

FSCN1254.jpg

Busa on crane - small.jpg

Back