Front Wheel Install - Help Needed

GSX1R

Registered
Hey all I'm in need of some assistance. I needed to replace the rubber on the 2Gen for the first time; I've done this job before on my gixxer 1000 (k5) both front and rear wheels with no trouble at all. I changed the rear tire of the 2Gen which was challenging getting the rear back on with the rear brake by myself but I got it. Now I'm having issue getting the front tire back on. After a couple of hours trying to get the axle back in through the wheel, I took the wheel off and tried putting the axle on just to see if there was an issue with the forks lining up or something. Bingo, I was able to get the axle through the left side fork (clutch side) but when it tried to go through the inside of the right fork side (throttle side) it doesn't seem to be lined up evenly. Seems to be 2 or 3 mm lower. I've added pics.

Question, is this normal and how do I correct this so I can get this wheel on? I don't remember having this issue with my K5 and I replaced the tires several times. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

20150531_110451 (1).jpg

20150531_110456.jpg

20150531_110504.jpg

Thanks for the responses, I did tighten the bolts and I was able to get it on with the assistance of my 16/17 yr old son and a rubber hammer!!! And then the rain came....have to wait until another day to get the film off my tires. Thanks guys.

That axle can be a biotch. Just changed mine before the Bash and had a little trouble. They don't fall together.

I have no facts to back this up, but could a bent fork tube cause the one to hang up (not give you full range of motion) and give you the height issue?

I have no facts to back this up, but could a bent fork tube cause the one to hang up (not give you full range of motion) and give you the height issue?

Or maybe forks not put back evenly in the clamps at some stage after being out for a service ?

Back