front tire wear question

b4thenite

Donating Member
Registered
I agree a picture would explain whole lot, but as you can see I'm on a mobilr device which makes it bit difficult. So I will try to picture the situation w words, and I'd welcome all inputs.

So I noticed this crazy front tire wear where both sides ( both sides middle part if you will ) are completely flattened out w white threads showing. The center part of the tire has minimal wear, and I have about 1/4 " of chiken stripes. The tire only has 2000 miles.

Here are some facts.

I do mostly twisties.
About a month ago, I got front folks spring done .95 rate.
I myself set the suspension ( Not perfect of course, borderline half ass )
I got a cheap ass Shinko 009. I know turfbusa's gonna yell at me. But it's been gripping aiight.

So I concluded following.

Suspension needs proper work, by professionals.
It's a normal wear for the cheap ass tire, since I ride more aggresively after the new spring.
Defective tire, get a replacement. ( like bt 21 front a yrar ago )
Or combination of such..

What do you think?

Thank you for your inputs.
Posted via Mobile Device

No suspension will effect tire wear. The rotation is like a bunch of mmmmm's. Take a paper plate. Make a mark on the edge. Now, roll the plate and you will see it does not really go in a circle but more like an "m" or a "U" where the mark never really makes a circle like but that mark makes the step in the tire.

You know that step if you look to the side? Or the direction of rotation is the higher side and the lower side of the step? So, the wear in one direction is one. The low pressure is two. The tire compound is three.

Your best bet is to stop riding it so it does not step :whistle::laugh:

No suspension will effect tire wear. The rotation is like a bunch of mmmmm's. Take a paper plate. Make a mark on the edge. Now, roll the plate and you will see it does not really go in a circle but more like an "m" or a "U" where the mark never really makes a circle like but that mark makes the step in the tire.

You know that step if you look to the side? Or the direction of rotation is the higher side and the lower side of the step? So, the wear in one direction is one. The low pressure is two. The tire compound is three.

Your best bet is to stop riding it so it does not step :whistle::laugh:

So to avoid steps, I gotta quit favoring a certain lean angle?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounded like air to me, but 38/38 should be great.

Check with the tire manufacturer, might have a recall.

Just change the tire. That one is worn out. Run a more trusted tire and play with the rebound.

Basically there's an imbalance front to rear and the front tire is taking too much load at a lean. Too much pressure it will slide, too little and it will slide. The suspension balances that so the proper amount of force hits the contact patch. Instead of gripping and holding it's sliding some. The front probably feels disconnected from the road. You need to have a shop setup your suspension, the locals here are about $50.

You can test this by getting a helper and setting the sag at 30MM. Unload the bike, measure from the front axle to the fork seal. Then you sit on it with both feet on the pegs, do this near a wall to hold your self up. Bounce the front to get the stick out of it, and remeasure to the same places. Adjust until you have 30MM of sag with you on it.

Measure static every time, as you adjust the tension the bike will raise and lower under it's own weight, you want a 30MM drop from the bikes own weight.

Repeat for the rear.

Get your manual out and reset the damping to stock, then ride it.

That will get you by and probably help the wear issue, but a shop tune is best.

Oh, and Shinkos are crap (IMHO) so get some better tires first chance.

Last edited:
Really too soft for street use and no real sidewall stiffness to give good handling manners, least that's from talking to people and riding a couple of Shinko equipped bikes. Great straight liners though, they hook hard.

Tires will always split a room like a fart. Why I put the IMHO on there.

Back