Front tire tool ???

With only having my 'Busa to get me around, I take it to my mechanic to get the tires changed out. He gives me pretty good prices on the tires and does a lot of the little things when it comes to my bike.

Here's a pic of the coupler nut. About $2 at the hardware store.

couplernut.jpg

This is exactly what I got @ the local hardware store. they had the 24mm and it fits perfectly. This is what the org is all about. I probably would have spent more on ordering a tool on line and paying shiping if it werent for this. Read my caveat below! that says it all. Thanks team:cheerleader:

i just bought two 24mm nuts and a 5/8 bolt cuz thats all the hardware store had and some JB weld. I'll just fill the nuts full of JB & tighten em against each other, let it cure & i'll be in business
Posted via Mobile Device

I just leave the pinch bolts on the fork tight and break free the bolt on the other side of the axle first and all is well.???

well apprently the hardware store was full of it cuz i got what was labelled as 24mm and its wayyyyy too big for front axle so as we speak i'm on my way back to scope around.......
Posted via Mobile Device

I used the nut and bolt, but went through a few grade 2 bolts before tripling up a few grade 8's to get it off.

its likes $3.99/lb instead of 1.99/lb

the cheap bolts SNAPPED. Go America.

by the tape measure the 16mm coupling nut is the size. 24mm.....wayyyy too big
Posted via Mobile Device

yep.....DEFINITIVELY 16mm coupling nut, snug & perfect
Posted via Mobile Device

:thumbsup: Looking good redkat, the thread sizes for the coupler nuts are for the inside diameters, 16mm coupler. 5/8" may work as well, I don't have one to check 16mm is 0.630" id & 24mm hex 0.945. 5/8 is 0.625" ID & prolly 1" outside.

Redkat05 it's a19mm tool! I'm trying to get mine off for the first time and it's hell. I'm worry I'm going to snap something off. I'm getting back to it this weekend...Pray for me!

just welded 6 beads to a socket that fit in it, then ground down to the right size, squared it up, and pretty custom tool for it

I had a old 5/8 spark plug socket that had cracked, the hex end fit the axle perfect so i welded a cheap 1/2" socket inside of that one, works like a charm, of course i have a welder and the crap laying around to use...Freebie

Is the gen 2 like that to

The Gen II is not the same. You have have take off the nut off the brake side holding the axle and slide the axle towards the clutch side to remove. On the Gen I, you need the axle tool or home made tool to unscrew the axle itself and slide it out towards the brake side to remove. I hope that made sense.

yup spark plug socket works
Yep you just reverse the spark plug socket, stick the hex end in the axle and stick your socket extension through the spark plug and you're good to go if I remember right. I also bought a threaded coupler for a couple bucks from Lowes or Home Depot, works awesome, I forget what size it was and what socket size fits it tho, sorry :banghead: Multiple bikes and its been a while since I had the busa front tire off.

Back