Front Tire Cupping

Mac Daddy

Registered
<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='font-family:times'></span><span style='color:darkblue'></span>

I'm on my second front tire in less than a year.  The new front tire has been on only since the end of January and I can see some cupping starting on the left side.  The last one wore down in a matter of five months, and was worn excessively on the left side.  I noticed some cupping on that one too.  I had some "mechanics" at the local dealership look at the front forks.  They said they didn't find anything wrong, and that it's probably the crowning of the road I travel on.  Its possible since I commute on the same freeways, but doubtful.  I am wondering if anyone out there has had similar problems with their 'Busa.  I use the original factory tire to save on wear, the Bridgestone Battlax BT012F.  Any input would be greaty appreciated.  Thx.

Jim

First time I heard of that one....

I'm guessing it could be the road, but it may also be the kind of driving you do. Many sharp leans can do that....I think....

Then again, the BT12's are kinda crappy tires.

Hmm, that is weird - are you fatter on the left side ??
laugh.gif
seriously though, maybe you inadvertently "lean" to one side and it gives you uneven wear ?? Weird. How does the back tire look ?

Must turn left alot. I dunno the only time I expierenced cupping on a tire was a result of alot of wheelies. But that was in the middle not the side.

Check the alignment of the rear. Perhaps that could have a noticeable effect on the front. To say that the roads you ride cause this seems a little fishy unless you ride nowhere else and ride exactly the same all the time. Perhaps you have a riding quirk that puts your weight off center and you actually ride with a slight lean all the time. I have seen this before but not to the point that it causes uneven wear.

Also seems funny that this has happened before on the same Busa. Interesting to know if this is the first time this has happened to you, if it has happeneed on other bikes and/or on other tires.

<!--EDIT|EAKbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081184995 -->

Most tires DO wear more on the left than the right. This is due to the crown of the road. On free ways & interstates there is no crown per say.
However the entire road is banked with the left side usually being higher than the right. This is of course looking at it from the travel direction. So even on your return trip down the same interstate the left will be higher and thus wear your tire more.

Most tires DO wear more on the left than the right. This is due to the crown of the road. On free ways & interstates there is no crown per say.
However the entire road is banked with the left side usually being higher than the right. This is of course looking at it from the travel direction. So even on your return trip down the same interstate the left will be higher and thus wear your tire more.
Ok, I checked around with a few people and one wise young woman told me that she believes it could be a bent or damaged fork tube. If this is the problem it must be slight because I'm still riding and the only thing I'm experiencing is the cupping. I forgot to mention that the handlebars and head set are slightly off-center, favoring the left side. This is getting to sound like it could cost me some bucks. Has anyone experienced their forks being bent? I don't do wheelies or stoppies (just one). I have had to break hard to avoid several collisions with cagers and haulers. I have good mechanical skills but this is new territory. Would I be able to do this repair or does it require special tools? How much does a fork tube cost? Let's hear it folks!

Ok, I checked around with a few people and one wise young woman told me that she believes it could be a bent or damaged fork tube.  If this is the problem it must be slight because I'm still riding and the only thing I'm experiencing is the cupping.  I forgot to mention that the handlebars and head set are slightly off-center, favoring the left side.  This is getting to sound like it could cost me some bucks.  Has anyone experienced their forks being bent?  I don't do wheelies or stoppies (just one).  I have had to break hard to avoid several collisions with cagers and haulers.  I have good mechanical skills but this is new territory.  Would I be able to do this repair or does it require special tools?  How much does a fork tube cost?  Let's hear it folks!
BullSh#t! Your forks are probably not bent. Mine cups badly on the left. Crown of the road. Told to by one of the winningest Harley Drag bike builder. Said it is very common. He told me to run 46psi up front. I do and it is a little harsh, but does the trick. I would get a very trusted mechanic before I looked into replacing forks.

I also use the same tires, but went 6k on first set. All my bike tires have cupped quickly, like 2-3k. It is the nature of the beast. Tires don't last long on these bikes, too powerful, tires soft. I still ride them cupped for a while. Hell I ride with plugs in them too, rear only. It is up to you, but you should be able to feel your bike and when things are wrong. Make your own BEST judgement.???

I also use the same tires, but went 6k on first set. All my bike tires have cupped quickly, like 2-3k. It is the nature of the beast. Tires don't last long on these bikes, too powerful, tires soft. I still ride them cupped for a while. Hell I ride with plugs in them too, rear only. It is up to you, but you should be able to feel your bike and when things are wrong. Make your own BEST judgement.???
Thanks for the reply - I really appreciate it.

Yes, many people have told me about the crown of the road. For many reasons, I am more inclined (no pun) to go with that instead of the fork tube thing, since there is no oil leaking from the forks and no major steering problem. One thing still confounds me - the off-set of the headset and handlebars. Its very slight but of course I see it. No handling problems though. Even a couple of mechanics were at a loss as to how to correct it. Like I said, I didn't wreck and don't wheelie or stoppie. I purchased it brand new with zero miles. Is it related to the crown thing? What's your recommendation? As for the tires, I'll try the 46psi in the front and see what happens. And yes, I plug my rear tire too. I live in a brand new community and you can only imagine how many nails I've ridden over on bike and cager. I can't buy a new F#$*n tire every time I pop a new blowhole. 2002 and 2003 were good years for the rubber industry.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thx,

Jimmy Mac

Back