Front sprocket nut !

C_Henry

Registered
What is up wit that ? Tried to remove it with a impact wrench at 115psi and it would'nt move ! What kind of tourqe is that ?
Just gonna take it to tha dealer tomm morning. Dam, this sucks having to pay them to do something i could've done myself.
mad.gif

I did it with breaker bar and ya its a tuff one    wraped a towel around a metal bar and put it thru the rear wheel (watch out for your valve stem) and gave the breaker bar all I could   she came off but it is defenitly on there...

(ozz @ Nov. 20 2006,10:34) I did it with breaker bar and ya its a tuff one    wraped a towel around a metal bar and put it thru the rear wheel (watch out for your valve stem) and gave the breaker bar all I could   she came off but it is defenitly on there...
Did you do it pulling up , and to tha left ? I thought about that but, my cover and stuff was in tha way on my left hand side. Also, i did'nt want to use a extension on tha socket and breaker bar.

(C_Henry @ Nov. 20 2006,16:38)
(ozz @ Nov. 20 2006,10:34) I did it with breaker bar and ya its a tuff one    wraped a towel around a metal bar and put it thru the rear wheel (watch out for your valve stem) and gave the breaker bar all I could   she came off but it is defenitly on there...
Did you do it pulling up , and to tha left ? I thought about that but, my cover and stuff was in tha way on my left hand side. Also, i did'nt want to use a extension on tha socket and breaker bar.
I took the panel off and also placed a towel over the fuel tank just in case once the wheel was blocked I used a hollow metal bar and slid it over my breaker bar and turned counter clockwise or up until she poped lose

it took some doing but she came loose
I also used some liquid wrench on it

i used a breaker bar and a malet to wack it. i had a 2x4 in the rim. worked for me.
good luck

(C_Henry @ Nov. 20 2006,17:40) How long of a ext did you use ?
it was a about 2ft. long with the breaker bar and the metal pipe i slid over the breaker bar

wrap a rag around the breaker bar and then slide the pipe over the bar...the rag will help keep the them from slip'in apart

make sure to use a little liquid wrench on C.S. and she should go
wink.gif

when she breaks loose you will hear a loud poping noise

I actually used a post from a bicycle seat for my ext.

had it laying aroumd worked good

changed out another members C.S. the same way

(heavybusa @ Nov. 20 2006,17:54) +1 on the breaker bar, make sure the bike is stable.
Thats for sure when you start torq'in that nut if the bike isent on a stand or stable over she will go
crazy.gif

My buddies Bandit required us to break out the flame wrench!!!!

(Pipefighter248 @ Nov. 20 2006,12:29) Not trying to be stupid, but did you take out the allen bolt in the center of the big nut?
Yea, it was out . I'm gonna try a long breaker bar, with some liquid wrench.

What is the ft/lbs torque rating for the front sprocket nut re-installation? And the ft/lbs torque rating for the smaller allen-head bolt re-installation?

I changed to a 16t front sprocket last night too. I used the above suggestion of a 2x4 to stop the rear wheel from spinning and a breaker bar on the front sprocket nut. Worked well, popped right off.

(Djv108 @ Nov. 21 2006,05:25) What is the ft/lbs torque rating for the front sprocket nut re-installation?  And the ft/lbs torque rating for the smaller allen-head bolt re-installation?

I changed to a 16t front sprocket last night too.  I used the above suggestion of a 2x4 to stop the rear wheel from spinning and a breaker bar on the front sprocket nut.  Worked well, popped right off.
Right click and download the manual.

Thank you for the link, I found it in section 3-16

Engine sprocket nut: 145N.m (105 lb-ft)
Apply THREAD LOCK

Speed sensor rotor bolt: 18 N.m (13.0 lb-ft)
Apply THREAD LOCK

(Djv108 @ Nov. 21 2006,06:00) Thank you for the link, I found it in section 3-16

Engine sprocket nut: 145N.m (105 lb-ft)
Apply THREAD LOCK

Speed sensor rotor bolt: 18 N.m (13.0 lb-ft)
Apply THREAD LOCK
Anytime!
cool.gif

I got it new Rhythm . I've got a 16 on it now, but I'm going back to a 17 for tha street. 16-42 is just too much with a 1397 on tha street. I think 17-42 will be perfect for me.
Also , thanks for those tourqe specs !
beerchug.gif

Back