front rotors seem to be contacting brake pads without braking??

busa clubslinger

Registered
Hey speed freaks!! I have a question for the informed. I changed my brake pads to galfer pads and I developed a slight pulsation while braking after a long few hundred mile ride directly after. I checked it and it seems the pads are ever so slightly contacting the rotors without pulling in the brake lever, I can tell because when I roll it with it off I can here it a little. I think I may have warped my rotors!! Or maybe just something glazed up?? :dunno: Can anyone shed any light on what may have happened? I've never had this happen and it doesn't quite make sense! Thanks in advance!

I would suspect rotors or caliber pistons not retracting all the way

Disk brakes always have a slight drag on the routes. If the pulsing started right after you changed to pads, its because you did not bed the brake pads properly

Disk brakes always have a slight drag on the routes. If the pulsing started right after you changed to pads, its because you did not bed the brake pads properly

No I bedded them properly. And I just changed the pads again to see if the other pads were glazed maybe but even the new ones are slightly pulsating which means the rotors are warped I suppose. Does anyone know if any glazing/brake pad residue can cling to the rotors making them do this and the rotors just need to be cleaned?

No I bedded them properly. And I just changed the pads again to see if the other pads were glazed maybe but even the new ones are slightly pulsating which means the rotors are warped I suppose. Does anyone know if any glazing/brake pad residue can cling to the rotors making them do this and the rotors just need to be cleaned?

Yes, you will have residual pad material on the rotors from the old pads. This must be cleaned from the rotors before installing the new pads or problems can occur. This should be done every time you change pads.
Give all the braking area of the rotors a thorough scrub with a scotchbrite scouring pad or the like to remove all the old pad material. Once done give them a wipe over with some brake cleaner.

You wouldn't normally need to do this bit for the pads, but you will have transferred some old pad material onto the new pads, so give the pads a quick rub off with some emery cloth to remove that material and any sign of glaze.

While you have the pads out, not a bad idea to get an old toothbrush and with some liquids detergent and a little water give the caliper pistons a clean then wipe all the muck out and make sure they are retracting freely and evenly. Important for any caliper but especially for 6 pots. Also while you are there make sure your pad pins are clean and smooth.
Put it all back together and now you are ready to go and repeat the bedding in process and all should be good.
Never come to a complete stop while bedding in the new pads as this will leave an uneven distribution of pad material and can cause pulsing or shuddering.

Hope that solves the issue for you. If not you will need to check run out on your rotors.

Yes, you will have residual pad material on the rotors from the old pads. This must be cleaned from the rotors before installing the new pads or problems can occur. This should be done every time you change pads.
Give all the braking area of the rotors a thorough scrub with a scotchbrite scouring pad or the like to remove all the old pad material. Once done give them a wipe over with some brake cleaner.

You wouldn't normally need to do this bit for the pads, but you will have transferred some old pad material onto the new pads, so give the pads a quick rub off with some emery cloth to remove that material and any sign of glaze.

While you have the pads out, not a bad idea to get an old toothbrush and with some liquids detergent and a little water give the caliper pistons a clean then wipe all the muck out and make sure they are retracting freely and evenly. Important for any caliper but especially for 6 pots. Also while you are there make sure your pad pins are clean and smooth.
Put it all back together and now you are ready to go and repeat the bedding in process and all should be good.
Never come to a complete stop while bedding in the new pads as this will leave an uneven distribution of pad material and can cause pulsing or shuddering.

Hope that solves the issue for you. If not you will need to check run out on your rotors.

I'll give this all a shot, thanks for the information!! :beerchug:

I just did had my shop install Galfer Pads and steel braided brake lines. I am not getting any pulsing but I do get an interesting hum while riding. I called the shop just this morning and the guy I deal with who is a racer and bike builder said the pads will make contact with rotors and with the high performance Galfers you may hear some noise. He also said it will settle down after they have some time to break in. He told me to bring it in if I am concerned and they will take a look at it.

So from what I gathered some noise from very light contact is normal. Hope the cleaning of the rotors gets rid of the pulsing for you.

I just did had my shop install Galfer Pads and steel braided brake lines. I am not getting any pulsing but I do get an interesting hum while riding. I called the shop just this morning and the guy I deal with who is a racer and bike builder said the pads will make contact with rotors and with the high performance Galfers you may hear some noise. He also said it will settle down after they have some time to break in. He told me to bring it in if I am concerned and they will take a look at it.

So from what I gathered some noise from very light contact is normal. Hope the cleaning of the rotors gets rid of the pulsing for you.

OK, just keep an eye on it, that's how mine started, with a small hum from a little drag with galfers.

Be careful not to pop a piston right out, you don't want to do that.
Just take the caliper off and with the pads still in give the lever a few little squeezes to pump the pistons out a little. The pads, if you have your new ones in with a full thickness of material should stop you accidentally popping any pistons right out. But watch the pistons to make sure each side are moving evenly.
Or use a small bit of soft wood thick enough to do the same.
One you have done this, remove the pads or block of wood depending on which you used and you can now clean around the pistons and caliper.
Check this video. It gives a good explaination of the whole job.
And part 2

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, just keep an eye on it, that's how mine started, with a small hum from a little drag with galfers.

I definitely will. Taking it for a long ride this morning and if it is still making a lot of noise I will run it into the shop to have the guys take a look at it.

Back