Front/rear sprocket replace

Speedo works great. Calibrated as per a radar gun and has worked for over 4 years now. But again I barely ride anymore so that isn't hard. Drastic gear ratio changes messes up the mileage too much for me so I got Speedo Healer to keep the miles real. Put on an extra 1k miles that I can't get back....

Go to their website. From memory there's a calculation and then you set dipswitches on the device to correct the error.

FWIW..... I changed my sprockets to 18/38, and my speedo is right on now. I didn't change the sprockets to make the speedo accurate, but it was a nice unintended bonus.

FWIW..... I changed my sprockets to 18/38, and my speedo is right on now. I didn't change the sprockets to make the speedo accurate, but it was a nice unintended bonus.

Can I assume a Gen I ?

Also you didn't mention what brand of sprockets you went with. Or the cost?
Was it an easy job? Any problems you ran across while doing it?

I had been thinking about going with that combo too.

Changing out sprockets is pretty easy. Although without an impact driver the front one might be a PITA to get off. I changed the cush drives at the same time. Feels brand new now.

Changing out sprockets is pretty easy. Although without an impact driver the front one might be a PITA to get off. I changed the cush drives at the same time. Feels brand new now.

I changed my tires in June and the cush drives looked like new.
I have an impact so I'm sure I could change them. I also have long pipes if needed.

My chain is pretty much like new although I know you are "supposed" to change the chain when you change sprockets.

Might be a good winter project.

Just looking for ideas on which sprockets (and chain?) are a good match for a Busa.

@ RedBusarider-

I want to say that I went with JT Sprockets- steel on the rear. I don't remember the exact cost- I want to say around $50 for both sprockets.

I wouldn't say that it is a VERY easy job, but if you have the proper tools and a little patience, it is a doable job. The most difficult part of the job is getting the front sprocket removed. I've heard people say to use an impact wrench, but I didn't have one available. I watched a couple Youtube videos, but this one was the most helpful (actually, I love this guy and his wife- great people!):

BTW- I used a breaker bar to loosen the allen head bolt. I used a 20" breaker bar. Be careful when tightening it, though... it is possible to break the head off while the bolt is partially tightened. That will not be a fun "bunny trail" job. I know this from experience.... broke that bolt right off, and fixed with a bolt extraction kit from Lowe's.

FWIW, the longer I have my busa and work on it myself, the more I see places where the previous owner really cut corners. I was planning to change both sprockets and the chain at the same time (which I did), and found out that the previous owner put a chain on my bike that was rated at most for 600cc. We fixed that, though. ;)

I wanted to go to an 18/36, but I think my 18/38 works for me. While you are changing the rear sprocket, I would definitely take the extra time to check the cush drive as well. Mine didn't need to be replaced, but I replaced it anyway. That job took me about 3 minutes- took me longer to clean my rear wheel before I put everything back together.

There are tons of guys on this site who know LOTS more than I do about these types of things, but if I can do anything to help, let me know. The Youtube video was my teacher on this one, and "Mr. B" does a great job of talking through the process. You could even push play at the beginning of the video and change it out while watching it. The video is over an hour long.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
My chain is pretty much like new although I know you are "supposed" to change the chain when you change sprockets.

I've always heard that same thing too. My question is that always the case?? Say you bought a new chain & sprocket combo 4 your busa. You put maybe @ best a couple hundred miles on it. Just regular street miles no drag racing or hard riding just the usual and decide that you don't like the sprocket combo you have on there and want to go say +2 on the rear sprocket. So are you supposed 2 change your front sprocket as well as a new chain even though neither have seen much use just because you changed the rear sprocket?? I'm just curious and hope the experts can chime in as 2 why or why not this would be a necessity or not.

I've always heard that same thing too. My question is that always the case?? Say you bought a new chain & sprocket combo 4 your busa. You put maybe @ best a couple hundred miles on it. Just regular street miles no drag racing or hard riding just the usual and decide that you don't like the sprocket combo you have on there and want to go say +2 on the rear sprocket. So are you supposed 2 change your front sprocket as well as a new chain even though neither have seen much use just because you changed the rear sprocket?? I'm just curious and hope the experts can chime in as 2 why or why not this would be a necessity or not.

I wouldn't change a chain if there were only a few hundred (maybe even a thousand) miles on a sprocket.

They say you should always change a gasket too but I have reused gaskets if they looked OK and never had a problem.

I guess it all depends on how something looks.
Lets face it there are a lot of things that manufacturers say we should replace which makes them a lot of money if we do.
But there are a lot of things that can last longer then what the manufacturers say they can, especially if they are taken care of.

A Moto GP racer would never start a race with used tires even though a race is only around 75-100 miles.
Yet for the average rider 100 miles on tires is almost nothing.

Some sprockets can last a bit longer than the chain it started life with. This is one of those decisions I make with a magnifying glass. The contour of the inner most portion and the shape of the teeths point can indicate how worn they are with a close inspection. If very little wear is seen... barely discernable... then your probably ok to run a bit longer. Also place the sprocket in the chain and look closely at how seated the rollers look in the sprocket. If the last chain didn't get stretched much then your probably good for a while.

However... if your like most power freaks here... you simply want new parts where its critical to performance and longevity. :laugh:

Contact Pashnit and get a speedo healer (my post Fallenarch has gotten up" on the home page shows how to install this). You changed the gearing so the speedo is off. I have a 17/45 and it was off a little less than 10%. I don't use the speedo (I use GPS) but this will change the odometer too.

Rookie mistake: Didn't notice this was an old thread :banghead:

Contact Pashnit and get a speedo healer (my post Fallenarch has gotten up" on the home page shows how to install this). You changed the gearing so the speedo is off. I have a 17/45 and it was off a little less than 10%. I don't use the speedo (I use GPS) but this will change the odometer too.

Rookie mistake: Didn't notice this was an old thread :banghead:

Good threads never die. :laugh:

And the offer still stands.

http://www.pashnit.com/product/speedohealer.html

Dsc03023_1024.jpg

Img_2929_speedohealers_800.jpg

Dsc03023_1024.jpg

Img_2929_speedohealers_800.jpg

Back