Front or rear sprocket

If you want to gear taller seems to me there is a lot less advantage to changing the front only. A) way more work B) fewer options in exact gearing C) less weight reduction.

I have heard of LSRers going with taller gearing front and rear so there must be some advantage. Maybe it's to offer a greater variety of options on the rear sprocket gearing.

If you want to gear taller seems to me there is a lot less advantage to changing the front only. A) way more work B) fewer options in exact gearing C) less weight reduction.

I have heard of LSRers going with taller gearing front and rear so there must be some advantage. Maybe it's to offer a greater variety of options on the rear sprocket gearing.
Hi. I use a 20 tooth front for LSR land speed racing. A 19 tooth for drag racing. More teeth on the front sprocket makes it easier on the chain, it does not have to turn so tight. I use different rears like a 36 for LSR AND A 43 TO 45 for drag. I am not telling you to use these because my bike will be making over 600 RWHP.

I went from stock 18/43 to 17-45 then after is when I went 16 up front, kept 43 on the rear. Very snappy, but as you probably know kills the top speed. Some say the 16 can be hard on a chain as well. With your 16, what are you running on the rear?

I've heard of chain jumping because of too tight radius caused by small sprocket . Also heard it shows up on dyno as lost power when you run small front compared to a bigger radius when tested consecutively . I have a 122 link EK chain , already for my 47t rear ( due this week ) and standard 18t front . This is fairly short gearing for Gen 2 but evens out a little less because I am running a tall 200/55 tire . Looking for extra punch everywhere , and overall reduced top speed , but much more serious urgency pulling to top of any gear . Got a week of crap weather to get it fitted and done !!

I’m running 16-44 Dragbike @ 67” .I’m using a hand slider and it’s wanting to wheelie a lil bit top of first.i thought about the gearing , but I’m also thinking changing weights on the clutch.
Been riding this bike for 13 years, finally got the motor done and everything has to be readjusted

Back