Front Nosepiece Keeps Cracking&Breaking!

jeremy_283

Registered
On a Gen1: where the 3 bolts go to attach the side fairings to the nosepiece the 3 bolt holes keep developing cracks... I just replaced it with a brand new one this winter and made sure when I tightened down the bolts that I screwed them in until they just barely make contact with nosepiece. Why does it keep cracking? any aftermarket options?

and when I say I tighten the bolts down... they are not even tight.... just holding everything in place essentially

Maybe not tightening them is doing that. I tightly snug up all my body bolts every week or so. I've lost a couple before.
So maybe you are creating movement and thus allowing for the cracks.

Just a thought.

They do not actually tighten up on the plastic but a little bit. The shoulder of the bolt tightens up on the clips. Maybe you have something bent that is putting a strain on them.

Had my 04 apart a million times in the 6 years I had it and never had a crack in that area

never heard of such a problem, can ya put up some pics? I'd tend to think Ace is right without some pics. Ate you sure the are the original fairings?

Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

Sounds like your upper brace may be bent a little, thus putting too much stress on the screws!

well like my side fairings almost seem to pull back on the nose piece just a little bit possibly :dunno: the bike has never been wrecked though before and they are the original fairings... and it does not tighten up on the clip... it tighten on the plastic.. I remember over tightening one day and seeing the clear coat crack

well like my side fairings almost seem to pull back on the nose piece just a little bit possibly :dunno: the bike has never been wrecked though before and they are the original fairings... and it does not tighten up on the clip... it tighten on the plastic.. I remember over tightening one day and seeing the clear coat crack

Are they OEM fasteners?

Had my 04 apart a million times in the 6 years I had it and never had a crack in that area

I agree. i had the screws out of my 06 almost every other weekend doing something to it and i never had any problems with cracking there. id say its not a problem with how tight the bolt are but a problem with some kind of alignment of the fairings

Back