front intermittent rattle noise over bumps

greensleeves

Registered
dealer service said they could not duplicate noise and there was no problem with forks, steer damp ,wheel or brakes....it is intermittent at times and now when I use front brake over bumps ect.. it seems to dampen noise

soft and not a metal rattle, as an example....it sounds like if the front fender or fairing would be loose and have a soft hollow type of sound

Last edited:
Check the bolts holding the front fender. And you are kind of describing rattle from a windscreen. Did you replace it recently?

I have checked all bolts and I thought steer damper seemed loose like a mounting bushing was bad but dealer said it all checked out OK, if it was a fender or windshield it wouldn't quiet or stop rattle when using front brake

Is your bike lowered? Might been the nose hitting the fender if it is.

Have you tried holding the fro t brake and compressing the forks while stationary? That may help pin point the noise.

i would grab the wind screen when it starts doin it and make sure, very common for them to rattle. applying the brakes may change the vibration enough to shut it up.

please check the rotor joints. hold the brake and rock back and forth while someone is up front looking. the rotors are 2 piece and ive ran in to a few sets that get sloppy and rattle

When you hit the brakes you are off the gas(normally).
Could be rpms/engine vibration causing anything in and around the nose and side panels to vibrate.
Wire connectors, brackets, ect.
Every guess in this thread is a good one too.

yes it is lowered but no clearance issues, thanks everyone for your input on what to look for.. I will look at the rotor suggestion to see if this resolves problem!

When you hit the brakes you are off the gas(normally).
Could be rpms/engine vibration causing anything in and around the nose and side panels to vibrate.
Wire connectors, brackets, ect.
Every guess in this thread is a good one too.

it is more noticeable at low speeds/in gear or just coasting over bumps ect....

it is more noticeable at low speeds/in gear or just coasting over bumps ect....

Low speeds equals less noise, may be there all the time too.
Pull the side panels by the tank and go for a ride.
Might hear or even see something coasting at low speed.
Good luck.

It's probably one of your front brake rotors coming loose...you see where the rotor attaches to the star...that circular ring or clip (don't know what they're called) tend to get loose and cause noise, you can recrimp them on a bench press, but you might bend the rotor....just get new rotors...check them for looseness....

My guess is the floating rotor buttons on one or both rotors becoming loose.

I've had that same issue on a number of suzuki's.

I like this idea, it seems like it'd help narrow it down quite a bit

Try getting up to speed and then shutting the engine off and coasting, see if it helps you isolate the noise

Floating brake rotors is another great tip. If they get loose, they tend to get sloppy fast.

It's probably one of your front brake rotors coming loose...you see where the rotor attaches to the star...that circular ring or clip (don't know what they're called) tend to get loose and cause noise, you can recrimp them on a bench press, but you might bend the rotor....just get new rotors...check them for looseness....

My guess is the floating rotor buttons on one or both rotors becoming loose.

I've had that same issue on a number of suzuki's.

Back