Front fuel tank bolts

Kgrey91

Registered
Hey guys and gals,

recently got a new gen 2 and most of the bike is totally stock, I’ve swapped a few things here and there for my own taste but the previous owner put one of those aluminium covers that goes on the two bolts at the front of the fuel tank, looks like it’s made of Chinesium and has rotted and bubbled and the bolts that came with the kit are ripe with orange rust so I’m trying to get rid but can’t find a straight answer as to what the bolts are so I can order them or drop by a local pro bolt dealer, looks like a need new rubber washers aswell but that’s easy enough I’m sure I bought a big pack of them somewhere
Much appreciated for the answers!

Hey guys and gals,

recently got a new gen 2 and most of the bike is totally stock, I’ve swapped a few things here and there for my own taste but the previous owner put one of those aluminium covers that goes on the two bolts at the front of the fuel tank, looks like it’s made of Chinesium and has rotted and bubbled and the bolts that came with the kit are ripe with orange rust so I’m trying to get rid but can’t find a straight answer as to what the bolts are so I can order them or drop by a local pro bolt dealer, looks like a need new rubber washers aswell but that’s easy enough I’m sure I bought a big pack of them somewhere
You could pull the old bolts out and take one to the Pro Bolt dealer and they can size them pretty quickly

Hey guys and gals,

Check out Parts # 8 thru 11.
This is from a '14 Gen 2
pic.png

Sourced from:

You could pull the old bolts out and take one to the Pro Bolt dealer and they can size them pretty quickly
I'm pretty sure the only Pro-Bolt outlet in the US is in Florida. That's where you order from in the US. They come from Britain though. I believe that's why it takes so long to receive Pro-Bolt orders. I still order from them. You can find cheaper bolts but Pro-Bolt is the only one I know of that has everything especially if you're looking for Ti.

I just ordered a set of front fuel tank mount bolts for my 08. I went with two M6 x 23 mm od Aluminum drilled washers and two M6 x 1.00 x 25 mm dome head bolts. I haven't put them on yet but I always measure twice or check a parts fiche for stock bolt length. I remember the washers I ordered will be about a mm larger in od than the stock washers. You might find about the perfect size if you check the od of an M5 aluminum washer and rat tail the hole to M6. I probably considered that before I ordered though.

If you don't want aluminum, they have Ti and stainless. I think regular steel too. Aluminum is my favorite for non stress areas that don't require much torque. The finish on PB's Ti is transparent and I think it looks cheap.

I go about 2/3 specced torque on aluminum bolts. Check the spec Pro-Bolt recomends for their bolts too. I'd suggest not going to their max spec. I might have felt them stretch a bit when using PB's max torque spec...but those were shorter bolts. Like always, use judgment when tightening aluminum and your best to go on the light side. I don't think the front tank mounts need torque. I go about a half turn or so past finger tight on those...just so they're not loose and the rubber grommet starts to compress.

I'm pretty sure the only Pro-Bolt outlet in the US is in Florida. That's where you order from in the US. They come from Britain though. I believe that's why it takes so long to receive Pro-Bolt orders. I still order from them. You can find cheaper bolts but Pro-Bolt is the only one I know of that has everything especially if you're looking for Ti.

I just ordered a set of front fuel tank mount bolts for my 08. I went with two M6 x 23 mm od Aluminum drilled washers and two M6 x 1.00 x 25 mm dome head bolts. I haven't put them on yet but I always measure twice or check a parts fiche for stock bolt length. I remember the washers I ordered will be about a mm larger in od than the stock washers. You might find about the perfect size if you check the od of an M5 aluminum washer and rat tail the hole to M6. I probably considered that before I ordered though.

If you don't want aluminum, they have Ti and stainless. I think regular steel too. Aluminum is my favorite for non stress areas that don't require much torque. The finish on PB's Ti is transparent and I think it looks cheap.

I go about 2/3 specced torque on aluminum bolts. Check the spec Pro-Bolt recomends for their bolts too. I'd suggest not going to their max spec. I might have felt them stretch a bit when using PB's max torque spec...but those were shorter bolts. Like always, use judgment when tightening aluminum and your best to go on the light side. I don't think the front tank mounts need torque. I go about a half turn or so past finger tight on those...just so they're not loose and the rubber grommet starts to compress.
Cheers for the advice, I am from England so there’s quite a few places that stock around here luckily

Hey guys and gals,

M6 X 30MM x 1.00mm is what I run there , with big washer .

In the UK but also worldwide shipper , Racebolt | Motorcycle Bolts & Kits is another great bolt company . They have less of a range than Probolt , but the titanium race hex reduced head line up is the best , a bolt designed for tight locations normally not found to fit a hex bolt . Also , you can get free anodizing on all orders , and green for my Zed14R is wild .
Both Racebolt and Probolt are great suppliers of some of the best available fasteners .
There is also TitanClassic , who has some fantastic old school model bike ti fitments as well as modern bikes . You can get stuff from them , than no one else makes .
Pics of some of my ti
IMG_20180802_112707.jpg
IMG_20180831_113122.jpg
and fastener addiction .
DSCF1814.JPG

I tend to get nervous with threads that get alot of use. Esp if going into alloy or another soft metal. (the seat bolts are another one)
Anyways, have just ordered this from webike. Not ultra lightweight, but will give it a go.
View attachment 1638587
I'm sure that would work just fine without the plate. Just throw an aluminum washer on each side if you need to tighten up the fit or file down that plate and make it into washers.

One thing I've learned about aluminum bolts, they tend to break off pretty easy if you crash. That might be good or bad depeding on where the parts fly.

I'm sure that would work just fine without the plate. Just throw an aluminum washer on each side if you need to tighten up the fit or file down that plate and make it into washers.

One thing I've learned about aluminum bolts, they tend to break off pretty easy if you crash. That might be good or bad depeding on where the parts fly.
Ha . you read my mind... have a selection of Ti and ali washers on order :)

Hi.I am a Pro Bolt dealer through Windmill cycles.

I tend to get nervous with threads that get alot of use. Esp if going into alloy or another soft metal. (the seat bolts are another one)
Anyways, have just ordered this from webike. Not ultra lightweight, but will give it a go.
View attachment 1638587
I was looking at this but do you think it's more of a race item? On the street with a full tank of gas, I can see the tank shearing off those cotter pins and coming right off in a crash. Also looks like a source of rattling. Am I overthinking it?

I was looking at this but do you think it's more of a race item? On the street with a full tank of gas, I can see the tank shearing off those cotter pins and coming right off in a crash. Also looks like a source of rattling. Am I overthinking it?
There was a little voice in the back of my head saying the same thing but it looks so cool, I was ignoring it. I don't think the cotter pins would rattle and if they did, just put another aluminum washer under them so the grommets compress.

I have M6 aluminum bolts that fasten the front of the fuel tank down on the ZX-14 I just crashed. The fuel tank took a massive blow to each side/top of the fuel tank but there's no obvious signs the bolts were damaged. Of course, that might not have been the case if the tank hit at an angle that offered more leverage. Excellent point though. The aluminum bolts that fastened the ZX-14's fairing stay busted right off. Possibly others nearby as well, I'll have to look.

Back