Front end vibration...

same intensity both lowered and stock.
K.  I'm going to call a local dealership mechanic...see what he thinks.

I feel your frustration.
K, bro...I have a think-tank launched here in SD for you. They'll call me back shortly with a list of items you might consider.

I wish I could be of more help.
banghead.gif

Thanks scar!

Bike is in the trailer and bout to head out to the hotel to get setup for track day tomorrow..

I'll be back in internet contact around 7:30pm CST!

Thanks again guys! Hopefully i can get this licked!

I'm thinking it's still in the front end since it all started while working on the frontend (new tires, etc)...

I would try to find someone to swap a front wheel out with you.

Thanks scar!

Bike is in the trailer and bout to head out to the hotel to get setup for track day tomorrow..

I'll be back in internet contact around 7:30pm CST!

Thanks again guys!  Hopefully i can get this licked!
I will do everything I can.

Even if it's a list of recommendations from the shop I phoned.  

Safe travel, bro.

PM me your schnell phone number...

Two questions arose for the thinkers...

1. Has the bike ever been wrecked/traumatized?

2. What were you doing just before this started occurring?

I want to know...

1. How many miles on the bike?
2. How long has this been an issue?

Don't forget to PM me your #; I'm in a different time-zone and will still try to help even after I leave work...

Hey, you are not far from me, shoot me a PM if you want to try my front wheel some time. I would be happy to take a ride up to your area.

Two questions arose for the thinkers...

1.  Has the bike ever been wrecked/traumatized?

2.  What were you doing just before this started occurring?

I want to know...

1.  How many miles on the bike?
2.  How long has this been an issue?

Don't forget to PM me your #; I'm in a different time-zone and will still try to help even after I leave work...
Answers....  
laugh.gif

1.  The bike has not been wrecked.  I dont do wheelies or anything like that either.  I pretty much baby it.

2.  I had just pulled it out of the garage from being up for the winter.  Rode it for approx 200-300 miles before i just decided it was time for a new front tire.  Thats when i took it to the shop, and well, thats when it started (see the above post)

-Bike has 11,XXX miles on it. I bought it with 6,000 on it
-This has been an issue for approx 3 months now.  Like i said, as soon as that new front tire went on, well, the SECOND new tire went on, it began.

Ive got a bunch of guys gonna be out at the track tomorrow, Adam will be there with his BUSA so we might go ahead and try swappin out fronts and see if that does anything...

Scar,
gotpm.gif

I'm thinking it's still in the front end since it all started while working on the frontend (new tires, etc)...

I would try to find someone to swap a front wheel out with you.
I've got to second this. It just seems logical to go back to when it started. Something got bent I think when they did the tire the second time.

Gonna try and swap out the front wheel first with someone and see if that will do it.

Track day went great today though, well, the vibration was very noticeable, but i dealt with it as best as possible.

I WILL have this problem diagnosed and fixed before next track day!

I think you have a 95% chance that the front swap will cure it.
If not, while you have a willing friend, swap out the back and that will eliminate 90% of the possibilities.

Mike A

It sounds like you have a front rim problem. I had a bud who had his tire bent by a shop during a tire change. The bend was so minor it was almost invisible...but it had the exact same symptoms yours does. He changed tires, rotors ect before I suggested he check his rim edges real good. Sure enough he found the bend, and went ahead and just fixed it himself. Bike rides perfect now.

Thanks Mike & 2Wheels...

2Wheels, i too am inclined to think it is something that was "bent" when that newbie tech swapped the front tire out.

This MIGHT be a CRAZY idea, but I was considering getting on a very long stretch of deserted road, pulling the front brake pads and getting the bike up to speed and seeing if the problem is still there. I can downshift and use rear brake to slow bike, and im thinking that this might indicate/eliminate the rotors as the problem
What ya think? I know it sounds drastic, but desperate times call for desperate measures!
thumb_up.gif

Thanks Mike & 2Wheels...

2Wheels, i too am inclined to think it is something that was "bent" when that newbie tech swapped the front tire out.  

This MIGHT be a CRAZY idea, but I was considering getting on a very long stretch of deserted road, pulling the front brake pads and getting the bike up to speed and seeing if the problem is still there.  I can downshift and use rear brake to slow bike, and im thinking that this might indicate/eliminate the rotors as the problem
What ya think?  I know it sounds drastic, but desperate times call for desperate measures!  
thumb_up.gif
If you have a good eye, you can get your front end up and rotate the wheel and sight along the rim edges..if there's any bends in it you should be able to see them. Some light reflection off the rim will help, so make sure you have good lighting
winkold.gif
Also do the same for both rotors..just sight straight down them and look for any warping. If a tech dropped your front wheel, knocked it over, hit a disc on something ect, you could have a bent rotor. Does your brake lever ever pulsate under braking?
Your experiment might work with pulling the pads but there's other safer ways to check rotors for warping. One is the eye check. You can also get a known straight edge and check your rotors that way. Shouldn't be any gaps between the straightedge and rotor. You can also mount a marker to your forks in a way so that its held just close enough to almost touch your rotors but not quite...then spin your wheel and see where the marker actually marks your rotors. If it touches anywhere then you have a slightly warped rotor. The bigger the mark the worse the warp. We used to use that trick to true spoked rims.....I hated truing rims lol
If you pull the pads remember the pads tend to creep out slowly putting slight pressure on the rotors at all times...if the pistons creep out too far, or you accidentally squeeze the lever you can kiss off 2 rotors and possibly a bike if you go down
wowold.gif
If you try that pull your front brake lever off and make it a quick trip
winkold.gif

winkold.gif

Jerry take it to a GOOD Shop and have them put a dial indicator on the rims and rotor I really do not think it is you rotor though or you would be feeling it in the brake level.

I agree that they probably bent the front rim.
The only way to really check it is with a dial indicator, or rotate the wheel with a stationary object (rod or screwdriver) next to the rim and bring it ever so close as to see the gap between the rotating wheel and that object. When you get the stationary object very close to the rotating wheel, you can see a very small warp that way.
I still am not discounting that they bounced the rear end off a curb or something, when they did their test drive?
Good luck!

Mike A
Mike A

They didnt test ride the bike until AFTER i noticed the vibration. First time i thought it was merely a out of balance front wheel, but they assured me it was ok cause they used DYNABEEDS.

2nd time i took it in, the more seasoned tech asked me to stand it up straight, roll it forward 3 ft, roll it back 5 ft and was just watching the front of the bike from a distance of approx 1.5ft and told me it was not the wheel, had to be a "steering" problem. His exact words... "probably a bad steering damper, those things are known to go bad on these bikes"

I have been riding for "¦.40 years"¦.(gulp)
I am a repairman (troubleshooter) by trade.
You have to get to a point that you know is good.
Replacing stuff willy nilly will not do it"¦it will cost you to death.
It can be only 3 things:
Front wheel, rear wheel, or something else.
Heaven forbid you get into something else, but you have to bite the bullet and eliminate the first 2.
The only way is to swap with someone to prove it.
Swap the front wheel. If it is still there swap the rear wheel, if it is still there let me know and we can start with the something else.
I have had 25 bikes and I can speak with authority that you have missed something, and the good news is we can find it.
In my group this would be a "good trouble"￾ and warrant excitement as to a "not normal"￾ solution.
I don't like to "wade in"￾ but as a professional trouble shooter, I advise that you will get to the point I am recommending, and hopefully that is before you change out the whole bike in an attempt to fix this.
Swap the front wheel. 90% chance you prove it to your front wheel. If not swap the rear wheel.
That is 99% going to tell you where you are. If not lets work through the other "something else"￾ in a logical trouble shooting manner.
This seems complicated, but you have got off track several times due to inexperienced troubleshooters and if you want this fixed you have to work outside a different box.
The most unique troubles are like this and are the most interesting,
When we fix it, it will be so obvious"¦.until next time.
I am 56 years old and cannot fathom riding a bike like one of these in this condition.
Fix this or it will fix you!
I am her until the end as long as you take my advice.
The others are only guessing.
Work through it, and don't just change/replace stuff.
That can leave you worse off, as you inject other troubles into the mix with wheel bearings, forks, steering stabilizers etc. that you do not know to be good.
Some or most of these were good on your bike and now you have a whole new set of stuff"¦ good or not??
Let me know how you make out and I will try and help, with my limited expertise.

Mike A

Back