Front end vibration at high speeds?

brandonj23

Registered
Ok I need a little help and advice. I've had my Busa for a year. It's a 2008 with 4,200 miles on it. I recently moved from Kansas City, Missouri, to Montana. I have been riding it a lot since the move. In Kansas City I rarely took the bike past 120 mph due to traffic congestion and line of sight issues. Montana is a much different story, hardly any traffic and visibility for miles in certain places. As such I've been traveling at higher speeds on a consistent basis. The question I have is the bike is smooth as butter up to 115 mph. Above that a pretty decent vibration sets in on the front end. It starts around 115 mph but doesn't get any worse as I pick up speed. Last week I took it to 153 mph and I did not notice it getting worse as I went faster. It just sets in a 115 mph and stays consistent till I drop down below that. When this happens I also notice my windscreen moving up and down quite a bit. I would say it probably has about an inch and a half of play in it up and down once I reach high speeds. I have Pirelli Diablo Corsa III tires with about 2,500 miles on them. They still look like they are in great shape and have plenty of tread left. I also have a GPS IV steering stabilizer. I have checked everything to make sure nothing is loose, checked the tires for flat spots, checked the tire pressure and generally looked the front end over and can't find anything.

My question is, is this normal at high speeds? I've never owned a Busa before and never had a bike that could go this fast. Is this vibration and play in the windscreen just the product of driving at high speeds or should the bike stay very smooth even at speeds this high? The bike still feels safe and solid at high speed but the vibration and windscreen play is pretty apparent. I haven't had time to take it in to have it looked at yet, any input would be appreciated. I'm not real familiar with what a Busa should feel like at speeds like this. Thanks in advance.

Ok I need a little help and advice. I've had my Busa for a year. It's a 2008 with 4,200 miles on it. I recently moved from Kansas City, Missouri, to Montana. I have been riding it a lot since the move. In Kansas City I rarely took the bike past 120 mph due to traffic congestion and line of sight issues. Montana is a much different story, hardly any traffic and visibility for miles in certain places. As such I've been traveling at higher speeds on a consistent basis. The question I have is the bike is smooth as butter up to 115 mph. Above that a pretty decent vibration sets in on the front end. It starts around 115 mph but doesn't get any worse as I pick up speed. Last week I took it to 153 mph and I did not notice it getting worse as I went faster. It just sets in a 115 mph and stays consistent till I drop down below that. When this happens I also notice my windscreen moving up and down quite a bit. I would say it probably has about an inch and a half of play in it up and down once I reach high speeds. I have Pirelli Diablo Corsa III tires with about 2,500 miles on them. They still look like they are in great shape and have plenty of tread left. I also have a GPS IV steering stabilizer. I have checked everything to make sure nothing is loose, checked the tires for flat spots, checked the tire pressure and generally looked the front end over and can't find anything.

My question is, is this normal at high speeds? I've never owned a Busa before and never had a bike that could go this fast. Is this vibration and play in the windscreen just the product of driving at high speeds or should the bike stay very smooth even at speeds this high? The bike still feels safe and solid at high speed but the vibration and windscreen play is pretty apparent. I haven't had time to take it in to have it looked at yet, any input would be appreciated. I'm not real familiar with what a Busa should feel like at speeds like this. Thanks in advance.

Never had mine over 1?? :whistle:
But it could be a multitude of things, tire pressure, fork difference, body position, road conditions - note on this- I ride on a road that has groves and humps and the bike feels like I am riding on Ice sometimes.

You may want to check the steering dampener and look into a after market dampener GPR check these guys.

GPR Stabilizer creates world class steering dampers for sportbikes, dirtbikes & ATVs, GPR Stabilizer

Bubba

My 06 has never done that all the up to 165. my best bet is the tire. perhaps cupped tread, tire inflation, or maybe not quite balanced.

my gen 1 is smooth and solid at 150. over that it starts feeling "fast." i suppose that fast is a subjective variable specific to each rider. perhaps your bike is feeling fast to you at 120+?
the condition that you are describing is not changing? no better/ worse...

i would have the tires balanced just for piece of mind. and if its better great. if not, you know its not balance.

I would start with the tire even though it may look great balance would be first but I have had two fronts with plenty of tread out of round due to wear :beerchug:

I had the same problem and I replaced the front tire and it fixed the problem and the old tire wasn't out of balance. Now it rides like its on glass all the way up to 180.

Its your front tire- the tread is worn unevenly, Ive seen it many times. Looks good but upon closer inspection is effed up.

Check the air pressure. If it's too high it can cause tight virbations as well. I have BT016's with 1500 miles on them and we did a spirited ride Saturday and I noticed mine was vibrating slightly at 120+ mph. I also just took the pressure up from 32 to 38 (both cold setting) that morning to test and see the difference. I put it back to 32 cold and it went away. Smooth as butter again.
I run Dynabeads instead of weights so I knew it couldn't be out of balance all the sudden.

Least worth a quick check.. If that's not it then I'm with everyone else on the balance being the issue. Another pro to running dynabeads:whistle:

Not sure if he'll check back in or not.... Only 12 posts.

A tire would not cause a vibration at 115 and stay constant up to higher speeds, if it was out of balance it would start to shimmy at some point and get by God worse as the velocity increased eh?

Maybe those Gen IIs just cant handle that speed:laugh:

Back