Front end swap

nigelm

Registered
I need to replace one of the fork legs on my K3, (Chrome as got scratched and the seals wont hold oil now).

I can however get hold og an 08 busa front end at a good price, (Forks, tripple clamps, calipers, damper and spindle). I am pretty sure it will fit the K3 but dont know if the frond wheel and brake disks will be ok. The front mudguard may also be a problem.

Anyone got any experience of this swap, and would it be worthwhile.

If the triple tree fits the steering head, it should work. What will you do about plastics? Making the fairings fit, may be your biggest problem?

Thanks for the responses.

It sounds like there are a few issues to resolve, the plastics not fitting would be the biggest problem. I think I will just replace the fork leg.

It would be nice to hear from someone who had meade the mod though to see what is actually involved.

JUST completed this. Heres the scoop. I will get pics up sometime in the next few days.

I'm writing this as it comes to me. The swap should be able to be done in a day or so. Mine took a lot longer due to waiting on some parts, traveling, laziness, work, researching ways around problems etc... My time lost riding will be your gain. :) If I remember anything else, I'll post it back here.

1. Make sure you have an 08 lower triple. the 99-07 will not fit around the 2008 fork. It would appear that you could have your 99-07 lower bored out at machine shop, but I didn't go that route. Someone else on the board did, he gives the spec in one of my previous topics.

2. Your upper should be fine, mine is a trac dynamics upper and I had no issues.

3. Wheels are a different width, if you search my posts, I had someone measure the distance between brake rotors on an 08 and then I spaced my rotors to match with high quality washers. So far no issues. This was done on a performance machine rim. I wanted PM to make me a 2008 hub that I could bolt on to my existing wheel, but they couldn't, or wouldn't because my rim style was discontinued. So I spaced the rotors to fit.

4. Fender is different, I got a 2008 fender from catalyst racing composites. $80-100 or so plus paint iirc

5. Rotors are different size as mentioned above. 2006 Honda CBR1000R has a spacer between the caliper and the fork mount. My mechanic pulled that one out of his butt, just so happened when I went in to talk to him he said, "come look, I've got a cbr on the rack, I think it's got what you need." You will need 4 from a honda shop to space your calipers from the rotors. They are $5.00 each at Honda, or you could probably find something cheaper, I just happen to know they work perfectly.

6. I replaced my axle for a 2008 axle, not sure if it's necessary, but i did it cause it was all together in the parts i bought on Ebay. The 2008 axle is way better 'cause you can put a wrench on either side.

7. A 99-2007 damper will not fit the 2008 lower. I drilled my 2008 lower out to fit my 99-2007 damper.

Ideally get a 2008 front rim and brake rotors too, then you won't have any of these problems. In that case it should bolt right in. Because I bastardized the PM rim and braking wave rotors from my 99-07 setup, I caused myself a lot of headache. I SHOULD have bought a new rim and rotors, but since I had already spent so much money on my PM/wave rotors, I cheaped out and adapted all this crap.

If you decide to do it good luck. The more I think about it, if you gather up the parts, make note of the measurements and hit the hardware store before starting, you should be able to swap the whole thing in a good solid couple of hours. Don't forget bearing grease since the headstock will be apart. FYI, when I did this I had already stripped the bike down to clean and service it, so most of my bodywork was off. Not sure what body work will get in the way of this swap if you choose to do it.

Good luck, any more questions post up, PM or email me at johnkendrick2@gmail.com

I will post pics soon. none on the computer since I swapped it.

one more thing, the forks done fit the older lower, but they fit the old upper, because they are wider just in the middle, but come to the same diameter/circumference by the time they hit the upper clamp.

OH and in theory you could blow some holes in your old fender to reuse it, but that might look kinda crappy.
hope this all helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.

I will be picking up some forks, calipers and top yoke tommorow, I managed to get an 08 front mudguard with the correct colour as well.

The plan is to get the rest of the bits together and do the swap over in the next few weeks. If you do find any pictures that would be great.

Which spacer did you get from the CBR? The fiche shows two differenet ones. Part 13 or 16?
CBR1000Brakes.jpg

SOrry guys, I don't frequent the this forum. Yes, part 13. Worked perfect for me. Sorry no pics yet, I've been a lame duck lately. Too many other things going on.

Any other questions email me, johnkendrick2@gmail.com I check that religiously. hope the swap went/goes well!

I just started the swap and came across a couple of issues. I bought a Gen2 fender, forks, lower triple clamp, calipers c/w bolts, 4 spacers (item 13 above) and steering damper.
- The Gen1 axle doesn't fit the Gen2 forks. I need the axle, spacer and bolt from a Gen2.
- The spacers (item 13 above) are stock on a Gen2. There was one on the forks that I bought. Do I need to double them up to get the correct spacing or should I install item 16? One doesn't appear to be enough.

I could have been done in a little over 2 hours if I hadn't ran into the snag with the axle.

Sorry to hear about the issues. Didn't know the axles didn't swap over. My axle was ****ered so it was part of the parts I bought. Also my forks did not come with spacers, one part 13 per bolt was enough for me.

I've progressed to 310mm rotors now, next on the list is an 08 front wheel. :D hope the rest of yoru swap went well.

Back