Front end puzzle.

ShotgunMcgee

Registered
Took the gen 1 busa to the shop for fork seals. They come back and say, don't ride your bike. You've got a gen 2 front end, on a gen 1 wheel.. your forks are pinching together, causing the wear and leak, and the break calipers have spacers pushing them back to fit the rotor. Which could get you killed.

So, I'm looking for the best solution here. gen 2 front wheel? but I'm assuming I'd need to buy one with a rotor also, and I'm assuming a new axle?
or go back to the gen 1 front end? hoping it all goes back together perfect?

I don't know of all the size differences, between gen 1 and gen 2 front ends. And, I've never taken off the front wheel / front end, so I don't know the hardware such as spacers, or what not, I might run into, if I put a gen 2 wheen on it.

I'm in the desert right now, so I can't just call the suzuki shop. Any advice or knowledge would be helpful,
Thank you.

FaceBook Links Do Not Work

I tried linking two images I have on the net, I hope it works.. sorry, I'm not near the bike right now. It's in HI, and I'm in Afghan.
In the photos, if you look at the caliper, pointing to the front, you can see the two silver shims that are making room for the rotor. Those are the shims that the shop told me would get me killed if they broke or moved. Those are the best pics I have at moment, sorry if it's not a lot of help.

I got on bike bandit and it seems the 2000 and the 2008 front wheel setups are different, with different part numbers.. I have no idea what they've done to her.

That looks like it is definitely a GenII calipers and mounting. Not sure why it is on there, wrecked bike? You might be money ahead to purchase used GenI front forks. Send a PM to Goldenchild and see what he has.

Might be cheaper to just buy a Gen2 front rim and rotors though. :dunno:

Was looking into buying a the gen1 forks, and trying to work my way back to original. However, *not positive* but the calibers would have to be purchased, and based of staring at the axles of gen 1 and gen 2, Mine appears to be the hardware for a gen 2. That's what I'm gathering anyway. Gen 1 looks to have a very large hole for a axle tool, and the gen 2 looks like mine. So, I jumped on ebay and bought a gen 2 wheel with rotors. Hopefully it will be be a clean install.

The shop I took the busa to, jerked me around for 5 weeks, and didn't fix half of what I wanted done.. so I just bought some stands to avoid fighting over another thousand dollar bill from a shop. I'm taking my wrenching to the next level, and hopefully not die for it. 150+ mph is going to have be tighting to spec...

Anyway the point is, I needed stands, I jumped on ebay and found some cheap ones.. was worried, so googled a review for them, and found a cbr forum blowing up about how amazing they are... the members were buying and loving them, so I thought I'd share incase someone needed some.

GSXR 600 750 1000 Hayabusa Front Rear Motorcycle Stands | eBay

Back