Front end problems

LABusa04

Registered
Hi guys,

I'm the rookie here, so go ahead, clown
smile.gif

After riding bikes for more than 15 years, I recently purchased my dream bike, a Busa. It is a 2004 with low mileage (2750), but laid down! The guy supposedly laid it down at 25mph, but the upper fairing and the right side fairing are both scratched, along with the rear fairing on the right, the right handle bar ends, the front brake lever, and the exhaust...huh, that's all...In other words, he laid it at more than 25 mph.

I looked at the rest of the bike and it appeared fine. I looked under the fairings, and the engine and its components are fine. Frame has no cracks, no scratches...

Now comes the problem: Riding the bike, I noticed that the steering is cocked to the right. Handling is terrible. You have to lean a bit to the right when riding straight. In the curves, I have to slow down to a bare minimum. It's scary, even for a nut case like myself...

So, I take all the fairings out, naked bike basically. Then I straighten the steering and get in front of the bike. The wheel is pointing to my right and not straight.

I bought a brand new upper and lower tree with the hope that is all. Oh, yeah, I also got the steering damper, it's on it's way.

But before I further dissasamble the bike and start working on the front end, I have the following questions hoping some of the experts here may be able with:

1) Should I be suspicious that the frame is bent? How do I find out if it is?
2) Could it be that the forks are bent? they don't look bent, but they could be a bit off...
3) Could it be something with the front wheel?
4) Is Ohlins steering damper MUCH better than the OEM? In other words, is it a wothry upgrade? Also, when the steering damper is installed, should there be any play at all?
5) What about the Ohlins forks, or other aftermarket forks? MUCH, MUCH, better?

Whoa, that's it. Sorry for this long post. It is my first one, I'll be better in the future, I promise. That's if everything else is fine with the bike
smile.gif

smile.gif

welcome! Check the rim first. It could very well be bent. Put the bike up on some stands and spin the tires and see if it wobbles.

I had a Harley that used to be scary when taking corners as you describe.Turned out that the steering nut was not tight enough on the bearings.Check the torque on it.

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
aboard!

Sorry to hear about your problem, but there's a great bunch of folks here that can definitely help getting her fixed!

PS - Post up some pics - we love those around here!
smile.gif

the forks got binded up in the sliders. i think theres 4 bolts above your fender,and a couple up top that clamp your forks , also loosen where the 4 bolts hold your front axle . get someone to hold the front tire and straiten it back out . it might take a time or two to get it perfect , but that will fix that

Crazy you mention that, I tried that last night. I did not loosen up the bolts at the bottom by the wheel. I did loosen up the lower and the upper tree, I held the wheel tight between my knees, and I turned the steering. To my biggest surprise, it did work and the wheel is much straighter now, but the handling still needs work. I am thinking of giving it another try to fix it myself (now since you suggested). If it still doesn't work, I guess I may need a new set of forks. By the way, the wheel seems fine and it does not wobble when turned with the front end up.

Sounds like it was a 25 MPH crash and the forks moved in the trees...pics would help in determining the speed of the crash
rock.gif

well , definently loosen up the axle pinch bolts , the axle can bind up just as much as the forks do , let me know how it turns out. this should fix your handling problem. its not likely that you need forks

Back