Front end chatter when downshifting (6 in over)

dnstommy

Registered
My 08 is 6 inches over and when I downshift into 2nd or 3rd the front end will chatter into my arms. I doesn't really cause any issues, but I am wondering how to fix it. When my extension was put on the rear spring was tightened up, that might be the cause. But has anyone dealt with this before? Less preload on the forks, or more dampener?

I have something similar. When I downshift into 3rd, 2nd, or 1st the whloe bike will chatter. Happens while engaging the clutch after the downshift. I have taken it to the shop for them to look at it. There is something up with these 2nd gen bikes that I do not like at all. My chatter comes from the transmission area and resonates throughout the whole bike. Just started doing this at 2500m. Reminds me of the chatter effect caused by locking up the rear tire on some bikes.
My busa also clunks while already in gear when taking off from a stop or on off throttle transitions in gears 1-3.

My busa also clunks while already in gear when taking off from a stop or on off throttle transitions in gears 1-3.

mine does that too. for me it sounds like its the chain and i just lubed it up after getting to work and on the way home, no issues.

Lol, its your rear wheel locking up. Since you have extended the bike it no longer has the same amount of weight over the rear wheel. So when you let off especially at high rpms or downshift it will lock up the rear wheel.

The chatter you hear from your bike when taking off from a light is the clutch pack. Busa are known for their weak clutch when launching them from a stop. The chatter you hear, while down shifting is the back torque in the clutch. Brock sell a part that will remove the back torque, but you can also lock up the rear wheel when down shifting at higher RPM. I hope I was able to help you with this little problem.

:thumbsup:

Check the freeplay of the rear wheel when it's off the ground, in gear. Mine did that before I replaced the cush drive bushings. The clutch had nothing to do with it.

Thanks everyone.

I did some investigating and it is more of a surge over and over then a chatter. I think it might be a little excess slack in the chain causing a harmonic when I drop into 3rd and 2nd gear.

I am starting to agree with you that there might be nothing I can do.

There are a lot of things you can do to improve your Busa. Any bike for that matter.

+1 on the welded clutch hub from "anyone". You can find them in the parts section from time to time.

You can run a poly cush-drive set up that will help eliminate slop.

Check your chain for proper slack. Keep it on the loose side for proper horsepower readings.

Rebuild your front and rear suspension with upgraded innards & fluids per your weight.

And for a sidebar - Never ride outside of your own riding skills. A lot of times this chatter can come from hurried down-shifts to high engine revs. ??? I don't know you or your skills,,, but just a thought.

Back