Front Brakes

dadofthree

Seasoned Beef
Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys, replaced front and rear tire today. When finished both front and rear brakes were soft. Pumped the brakes. Rear brake working fine. Front brakes will pump up, but go soft again. When the bike is stationary they pump up and maintain. As soon as I roll the bike no front brakes. Neither brake system was ever opened.

Any suggestions
rock.gif

I've researched brakes and haven't found this situation. Do I need to bleed the front brales eventhough the system was never opened
rock.gif

rock.gif

Did you look for leakage around the calipers? I would start at the calipers because they have to be removed from their mounts to get the front wheel off in order to replace the tire. Check the banjo bolt tightness. There could have been damage to the lines if the calipers were not supported while the wheel was off.

Just bleed them it only takes 10 mins front and rear. Hows the pads?

(05BusaLe @ Mar. 30 2007,21:27) Just bleed them it only takes 10 mins front and rear. Hows the pads?
Pads on front are great and the rear ones are new.

Is this the procedure, open bleeder on clutch side caliper, pump until you have fluid, repeat brake side caliper.

Anything else. Don't understand why I would have gotten air and don't understand why they pump up and you move the bike and it's gone.
rock.gif

Before you bleed them (shouldn't need bleeding)...pump up the front brake lever and put a zip tie over the grip and the lever.

Pump the lever till it firms up, then set the zip tie to hold the lever (not too tight) medium to light pressure is fine. Leave the zip tie on over night.
This forces any air in the system back up into the master...since you only need medium to LIGHT pressure on the lever it won't hurt anything in the system
biggrin.gif

Alright tried burping the brakes today. No go. Still have the problem. Just pumped the front brakes up again and tied them. You better not be Bullshidding me Ba.

(dadofthree @ Mar. 31 2007,17:47) Alright tried burping the brakes today. No go. Still have the problem. Just pumped the front brakes up again and tied them. You better not be Bullshidding me Ba.
Who ME
laugh.gif

That's what I usually do after replacing the lines and bleeding them, I'll let it set over night with the lever zip tied to the bar.

(dadofthree @ Apr. 01 2007,10:08) No good. This is sooooooooo frustrating.  
guns.gif
OK

Let's start from the begining...what year and how many miles
rock.gif

When you bled the fronts...did you open a bleeder screw THEN pump the brakes
rock.gif

I hope not
wow.gif

'06, six months off the floor, 11+K. Just changed the front and rear tires. Had to pump the front and rear brakes up after work was complete. I let the calipers hang while changing the front tire. Probably 10 to 15 minutes. Front brakes will pump up and maintain over night, but as soon as you move the bike; I mean a half inch the lever goes to the grip. I am truly puzzled.

(BA BUSA @ Apr. 01 2007,10:15) When you bled the fronts...did you open a bleeder screw THEN pump the brakes
rock.gif

I hope not  
wow.gif
Did you bleed the fronts ?

Yes, I would pump the brakes up and hold pressure on the lever; two friends would barely open the bleed valves. The lever would go to the grip. They closed the bleed valves. This process was probably repeated a dozen times. No air. No brakes.
rock.gif

(dadofthree @ Apr. 01 2007,10:25) Yes, I would pump the brakes up and hold pressure on the lever; two friends would barely open the bleed valves. The lever would go to the grip. They closed the bleed valves. This process was probably repeated a dozen times. No air. No brakes.
rock.gif
You need to close the bleeders while the fluid is still coming out, BEFORE the lever gets all the
way to the grip.

(BA BUSA @ Apr. 01 2007,13:31) Did you check to see that the Master Cylinder is full
rock.gif
I'll do that today. It was completely full. It's just a little lower now. I purchased the DOT 4 poly glycol whatever stuff yesterday.

Back