Front Brakes Grabbing... again

XLCC

Registered
I have an 06 Busa, almost 30,000 miles, and havent had a lick of trouble with the bike until this past sring. The bike started warping rotors. The brakes were not releasing all the way. I have replaced the forks (maybe bent?)... I have replaced the rotors (warped 3 sets)... I have replaced the caliper seals... I have bled the system numerous times. All has been well for the past 4 months, and BAM!!! This week my rotors are beginning to warp again. I am mad enough to take this bike out into the desert, and shoot the darn thing. I have spent well over $1K so far. Short of replacing the entire braking system, I dont know what to do... any advice would be greatly appreciated...!?!?!?

just a thought but it could be the relief port in the master is not releasing fully... also, on some of the caliper seals, there were some that had outward facing side vs the flat all the way across ones..

if you have after market levers (or stock ones for that matter) make sure the handle is returning fully after application, ideally there should be a small amount of clearance between the lever and the piston plunger (important to allow relief port to open)

Also, the plunger may not be fully returning on its own.. (master cyl)

Last edited:
just a thought but it could be the relief port in the master is not releasing fully... also, on some of the caliper seals, there were some that had outward facing side vs the flat all the way across ones..

if you have after market levers (or stock ones for that matter) make sure the handle is returning fully after application, ideally there should be a small amount of clearance between the lever and the piston plunger (important to allow relief port to open)

Also, the plunger may not be fully returning on its own.. (master cyl)

yep what he said:bowdown:

yep what he said:bowdown:

When you rebuilt the calipers, did measure the pistons while you hade them out?
I have 2 sets of calipers, with similar problems, and found some with out of round pistons, in the calipers!

When you rebuilt the calipers, did measure the pistons while you hade them out?
I have 2 sets of calipers, with similar problems, and found some with out of round pistons, in the calipers!
wow, that bites... how far OOR?

hmmm.... if it were me i would have replaced the entire brake system after the first 300 or so put into it

hmmm.... if it were me i would have replaced the entire brake system after the first 300 or so put into it

I did! LOL

This is the best fix!

Sexs%20on%20wheels%20081.jpg

you might pump the brakes up, let it sit for a minute and then crack a bleeder.. see if fluid "pops" out or just dribbles at the start.. could indicate a return flow issue if it pops out..

Awesome advice... I will check return pressure (shoulda thought of that before)... Thanks...!!!

So, why would a dragging brake cause the rotor to wrap. I guess if it was hanging the heat would build up, but wouldn't be noticable prior to the rotor warping?

The reason I ask, is because I am having a similar problem.

Well, my bike is my only transportation... so I cannot take it down for maint just yet. I will in a month or so. For now, I will just take it back and forth to work. If I brake real easy and slow the bike witrh the engine, its not too bad. I'm just gonna purchase new calipers, rotors, master cylinder. I'll do the whole darn front end while she's down, from fork seals to steering stabilizer. WTF?!?!?! If that dont fix it... then I'll just put some dirt bike tires on it and give it run for its money... this problem is really getting on my nerves.

there is probably dirt in the pistons of brake caliper. You need to remove the pads, press on the brake lever lightly, till a little of the piston comes out...then clean them.

I use WD40 to clean them.

I had the same problem on one of my cars. It took 3 sets of pads & rotors before a reputable shop told me that it was a stuck caliper. A new part for $110 and I havent had a problem since! If I were you I'd do what I did and just replace the caliper(s) in question.

good luck, i know fred flinston brakes dont work very well either, and its hard on your shoes

Back