Front brake pressure issue...

Jacobs

OEM Parts/Accessory guy
Donating Member
Registered
I've noticed over the last month that my front brakes are taking a lot more "pull" to slow down from what they use to. My bike has roughly 14-15k on it(sprocket change w/ no speedohealer) so I figured I was in need of some new pads. Well we pulled the calipers off here at HE and the pads still had TONS of life left. I down shift a lot, nearly every stop light or braking situation so I can understand if I have more pad left than the average rider, but I figured these stockers would be wasted by now.

The lever has pressure and the fluid still has nice color to it. My only thinking is that maybe my OEM brake lines are starting to expand from the high speed braking while at the drag strip or open road. Professional and experienced thoughts welcomed.....

You have probably just boiled up your fluid with the hard braking at the track or let's say "open road" riding:laugh:. Just like say motor oil it breaks down. Or say oil in a deep fryer, after it get's heated up and used so many times it loses it's oomph so to speak. It'll still function but just not the same as good/fresh stuff.

Flush them out with new and I'm sure you'll see a big difference even with the stock rubber lines.

Stock pads could be glazed or the rotors or both. Also got to be careful if you wash your bike with soap and water. The soap drying on spots of the rotor will cause the brakes to not work very well. I spray a rag with brake cleaner and wipr the rotors down while on a front stand.I have had the brakes feel funny after a good cleaning I would go to ebc extreme pads and ss lines Justin. Better bite and feel. Also help you slow down better at the 1/4 mile.

Throw some stainless lines on there while your at it and 2 maybe 3 fingers will get jealous cause you won't even need to use them anymore.

You have probably just boiled up your fluid with the hard braking at the track or let's say "open road" riding:laugh:. Just like say motor oil it breaks down. Or say oil in a deep fryer, after it get's heated up and used so many times it loses it's oomph so to speak. It'll still function but just not the same as good/fresh stuff.

Flush them out with new and I'm sure you'll see a big difference even with the stock rubber lines.

And that's what I think I'm going to try after talking with my boss. The only problem I'm seeing(or not seeing) is that fact that the fluid still "looks" good. I thought that once the fluid gets "used" or old that it discolors or darkens....

Stock pads could be glazed or the rotors or both. Also got to be careful if you wash your bike with soap and water. The soap drying on spots of the rotor will cause the brakes to not work very well. I spray a rag with brake cleaner and wipr the rotors down while on a front stand.I have had the brakes feel funny after a good cleaning I would go to ebc extreme pads and ss lines Justin. Better bite and feel. Also help you slow down better at the 1/4 mile.

That's also a suggestion I got from the tech after he yanked my caliper and saw that the pads still showed good life on them as far material still there. Soap/water isn't an issue because since I've owned it, it has never seen either, only use aerosol spray polish/cleaner.

In addition to the great idea above you should try, my professional opinion is your brake hand grip has gotten weaker.... and you should probably go work out! :laugh:

Don't raise parts prices on me... :hide:

Seeing that I'm single and also happened to be right handed, I don't believe that's the issue :laugh:

I am surprised you don't already have SS lines on your bike.... I suspect you could procure a set at a very good price! :whistle: :laugh:
As set of new SS lines, couple with the fresh brake fluid, will likely eliminate the issue altogether. :beerchug:

I am surprised you don't already have SS lines on your bike.... I suspect you could procure a set at a very good price! :whistle: :laugh:
As set of new SS lines, couple with the fresh brake fluid, will likely eliminate the issue altogether. :beerchug:

One would think, but I've never really had much of an issue with the braking on my bike considering the only really hard braking I do is slowing down at the end of the 1/4 mile. The only reason I have a Spiegler SS rear line is that the rear tire is a little further back than stock.

I'm going to run with the fluid change first considering it cost literally nothing in comparison to buying new rotors and lines. Hoping to get it flushed out today. If anything changes, I'll be sure to post good or bad

No update yet. We're hosting a free dyno shoot out today so I'm going to be to tied up to screw with it at work til Monday

In addition to the great idea above you should try, my professional opinion is your brake hand grip has gotten weaker.... and you should probably go work out! :laugh:

Don't raise parts prices on me... :hide:

Funny you should say this. I recently realized that the weak break performance i have been feeling on long rides is probably my hand not the brakes. I have some nerve damage that has reduced my strength even rested by 25% (how they know what it was is beyond me). May have to get it chopped up in the fall. I don't know if this would help Justin on the thing he's doing with the right hand :laugh:, but just though I would mention this as I really had no idea there was a problem with the wrist. I went to have it checked because i was waking up at night with them throbing.

When we check our eqment the last thing we check is ourselves and that may be the most important thing to monitor (eyes, hearing, heart, etc.)!

Please excuse minor thread jack.........

i agree with above your fluid has most likely suffered breakdown from pressure especially at the drag strip and you could have glazed the pads. Personally i would do pads fluid and lines and check your seals in your calipers. I was amazed to see that in one of my front calipers my seals were blown out and 4 of the 6 pistons were frozen and it took over an hour to get them out. I was wondering why my braking sucked and well that would be the reason.

I also put brake grease on the caliper pistons and back of pads after cleaning with a good military issue nylon gun brush. I was amazed that my bike was already fouled up with brake dust when I changed lines, pads, and fluid, bike only 3 months old with 2k miles on it at the time, now only 3 months old and brakes are awesome. The brakes are so good now I have switched all 4 of my bikes over to this fluid and cleaned the calipers, the other bikes already have performance pads and ss lines.

Back