Front Brake Pad Slaps.

Machete81

Registered
I have an 06 with 40xxxx miles on it .changed the front brakes and was a slight knock then got some new tires and now the knock is way loud. I know its the pad slapping is that going to cause catastrophic failure or im ok to ride untill i get better pads.?

I guess the question is..are brakes important to you? I personally wouldn't have the key anywhere near it until fixed. Failure dosnt have to be catastrophic to be deadly. I'm sure someone has some pads they would be willing to mail ya. "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

Point taken sir . maybe i should rephrase the question. Is a loose brake pad cause for alarm. ? Brakes work fine,they stop on a dime. Is the caliper piston to blame.?

Do you have a caliper bolt backing out? Broken pad? Find the source. Yes, both can and will be an issue you will not want to deal with at speed.

Thank you! This might be the issue.
20161019_201413.jpg

Yep when i changed the brakes i put the cotter pin on the wrong side and it worked its way out.thank u.

Glad you found the issue. I've made similar mistakes and it could have easily cost me my life.

My first bike was an r6. I rode the tires off it, and had them replaced. In ignorance, I was un aware of the slight variance in width of the two rear axel spacers. I installed them incorrectly on opposite sides. And didn't know it until I had severe tire wobble at 80 mph 3ft from a semi on I-435 here in KC. The chain popped and flew off into the nearby guardrail, as I coast to a shaking stop. After a sober prayer, I vowed to never wrench on another bike without vastly researching the procedure prior.

Yes. Sir she rides a lot different now,i had a 95 cbr 900 that i bought and two or three weeks on it and i was on the freeway when i noticed a wobble in the rear and looked down to see the rear swing arm pin had worked its way out of the onaside of the frame. The previous owner had lost the lock nut so he put the pin in backwards and that was when i realized i dont trust any one but my self to work on my own stuff.

Back