Front Brake Isssue on a 99.

IL_Bow_Man

Registered
So I am trying to run down my issue. I started with a constant shimmy/vibration from the front end ever since I got her. I got her from my uncle and he said he thought the rim was bent. So I finally got a front wheel, swapped it out and now she rides smooth as can be. Well the front brakes always seems to feel bouncy (dunno what to call it). I just assumed it was from the wheel being bent. So now that it rides smooth, the brakes are still the same. Best way to describe it is when I pull the front brakes lightly, it will grab, let go, grab, let go. If I pull them hard, I can feel the feed back of that motion up through the lever.

So my thought was bent rotors. So tonight, I jack the front up, throw an indicator on each side, and I have .010" of movement as the wheel spins around. Is this really enough to throw that much vibration and feed back up to the lever? I mean, it is bad enough that I rarely use the front brake. We have so much loose gravel in some areas in corners that a light use might lock it up when it grabs light.

If you can think of any thing else to check, please give a brother an idea. I definitely can't afford any rotors right now. If that is what seems to be the root cause, I will have to save up over winter to get some.

In addition to checking the rotors, check out the brake pads... they may have been damaged by the vibration caused by the bent rim. Also check to make sure the pistons in the calipers are not binding or stuck.

I took a quick peek at the pads when I had the brakes off, and I didn't notice anything looking off about them. But I don't know for sure. I am not sure how a pad can make it feel like it is feeling though.

I had warped rotors on my 07. I didn't measure how much out they were but I could see them move when I rotated the wheel. .01 is not enough in my mind to cause what you are describing. Mine would mostly shake it did not grab and let go grab and let go. My opinion would be (if you are mechanical, if you know how to measure .01 you are mechanical) take off the calipers, split them apart and clean everything. My guess is you may have a piston stuck or too tight because of build up gunk. Don't use any harsh cleaners because it will damage the rubbers.

With the rotors warped you still need to have them replaced, however I think you are feeling a different issue.

My advice on rotors is go with the cheap ebay ones. I was talked into the expensive EBC contour rotors, they are great but for the price tag of just under $500 I would expect them to last longer. After the first 4 months of use they were already half way through their life and I was on my second set of pads. Since then I went back with the factory front pads and it has been silk ever since. The rotors have slowed down in the wear process but the look terrible because of all the grooves in them where they wore down so quick

I may try cleaning the calipers this weekend and see if it helps any. Anything that is short of buying rotors at this point is what I am hoping for. A used set is still pushing 200 bucks...

Any gen I Bro's near by? Swap front wheels out,go for a ride,you'll get a fast answer to your rotors question.

I have sometimes taken off one caliper,stick an' old brake pad in there so the pistons dont travel to far,zip tie the caliper up out of the way and go for a ride.If the feeling is gone,you have narrowed it down to one side,if the feeling is still there,try the other side. These types of tests will cost you zero dollars.

I would not go tearing into the calipers without a rebuild kit sitting next to them on the bench.:thumbsup:

Same for the master.

Apparantly old hoses can collapse and produce the feeling you are descibing.

RSD.

hmmm...rsd. I can easily take one off and test it and then do it again...good thinking there man.

Unfortunately I do not know any body around with a busa...not too many smart people around. lol I have 1 set of pads so I could easily remove one set of pads and try too. that only takes time.

hmmm...rsd. I can easily take one off and test it and then do it again...good thinking there man.

Unfortunately I do not know any body around with a busa...not too many smart people around. lol I have 1 set of pads so I could easily remove one set of pads and try too. that only takes time.

Time is better than cash right now.... right.:thumbsup:

As a long time wrencher...I always go for the least expensive fix first,it only makes sense.

RSD.

Back