front brake advice/problems

Queamore

Registered
Rode the bike yesterday. it was the first time its been driven in 3 years. i noticed i have to pump the front brake a couple times before it catches. there is no leaks the bike only has 1293 miles on it the bike is practically brand new.

My theory is that the o rings in the master cylinder dried out and r going bad so either replace the master cylinder or rebuild it. I'm leaning towards rebuilding it $15 in parts replacing it $50 im a really good mechanic some call me a pro. so rebuilding would be pretty easy for me. but i would like ur thoughts/opinons or maybe other possibilities that it could be. or while im at it any custom things i can do. thanks in advance.

I would rebuild the MC and flush the brake fluid for front and rear. Also, take a look at the pads and rotors for signs of wear. If issues still persist, I would look at replacing braking components.

sounds like a good flushing and service may be the way to go . welcome back for what ever the reason you didnt ride her . enjoy

Sitting for 3 years.
The inside of the hoses can corrode. Good time to get stainless steel lines, and they'll improve the brake feel anyway.
The MC rebuild is cheap enough to do, and may need it also.
Otherwise I'de just change the fluid and bleed the brakes. Pump the lever and tape/strap it to the bar overnight when you're done, and bleed again the next day. That'll get all the air out.
Brakes are somewhat important though:laugh:, so MC rebuild and ss lines are a really good idea.
Tires likely have flat spots after 3 years too, if it hasn't been up on a stand.
Tires tend to crack, split or dry rot. 3 years sitting new on a shelf, they're good and I'de ride them. 3 years sitting on the bike on the ground, I'de change them. They're the only thing between you and the road!
Check the chain for tight links and change the oil.
Set the suspension sag for your weight, the bike will then handle as it should.

Sitting for 3 years.
The inside of the hoses can corrode. Good time to get stainless steel lines, and they'll improve the brake feel anyway.
The MC rebuild is cheap enough to do, and may need it also.
Otherwise I'de just change the fluid and bleed the brakes. Pump the lever and tape/strap it to the bar overnight when you're done, and bleed again the next day. That'll get all the air out.
Brakes are somewhat important though:laugh:, so MC rebuild and ss lines are a really good idea.
Tires likely have flat spots after 3 years too, if it hasn't been up on a stand.
Tires tend to crack, split or dry rot. 3 years sitting new on a shelf, they're good and I'de ride them. 3 years sitting on the bike on the ground, I'de change them. They're the only thing between you and the road!
Check the chain for tight links and change the oil.
Set the suspension sag for your weight, the bike will then handle as it should.

great advice thanks. imma do all that. i might wait until next season for the tires though cause its gonna sit all winter. im not really riding right now anyway

I've never heard of the "Core" brand before, they may be great, they may not.
Either way, they cost a lot.
You can get Galfer's for cheaper than that, and have piece of mind that you should have a quality part. Site sponsor Pashnit sells them and is excellent to deal with.
Spiegler makes great lines too, and the banjos/line ends swivel. Being able to turn the end on a ss line is usually a non issue, but there are times that it makes a big difference on installation.
Like when you try to install a "Friday" line, that the banjos aren't oriented/rotated correctly on the line ends, to install without trying to twist or bind. Uncommon, but I've seen it happen.

Back