front axle

DCar

Registered
im not new to cars or bikes what so ever, and i even called my dad over to help and he doesnt know either. how do you get the fonr axle out of the bike? the brake calipers are off and the 4 bolts that hold the axle in tight are loss. when i turn the axle counter clock wise it push out the left side and wont losen. i know we are missing something but i cant figure out what. please help......

put the two pinch bolts back in and tighten to hold the axle sleeve so that the axle can be unscrewed from it.

put the two pinch bolts back in and tighten to hold the axle sleeve so that the axle can be unscrewed from it.

There ya go... :thumbsup:

PS:::you can put the sledge hammer back down now, it's all ok :laugh:

Last edited:
okay it wouldnt brake lose with a 1/2 drive rachet or impack. its right handed threads right?

okay it wouldnt brake lose with a 1/2 drive rachet or impack. its right handed threads right?

Did you tighted up the two nuts on the side you are attempting to brake loose~?~

I'm trying to think...you only need the two pinch nuts tight on the opposite side if I remember correctly...you can test this by loosening them all and see if the entire sleeve turns, then tighten the two on the far side and try again.

Last edited:
yea the sleeve is tight only right now and the axle "nut side, so to say" is loose

Some further detail.

Looking at the front of the bike, loosen the pinch bolts on the LEFT (brake) side and re-tighten the pinch bolts on the RIGHT (clutch) side. In other words, tighten the two pinch bolts on the side opposite your wrench and loosen the two pinch bolts on the side your wrench is on.

It is not reverse threaded so set your ratchet to loosen mode!

Opposite the wrench is a threaded sleeve into which the axle bolts up. The pinch bolts for this sleeve will keep it from spinning while you turn the wrench.

Keep us updated.

--Wag--

i did all that. dad just said he broke it loose with a braker bar. i didnt think they would be that tight. thanks guys a ton, and damn you guys are fast at responding.

I went to take a pic of an extra axle and nut to show you what it looks like out of the bike, but couldn't locate it right off hand...

Make sure you use a torque wrench when reassembling it and don't over torque it!

--Wag--

i just didnt think it would be that damn tight. i didnt wanna brake anything. since it was so tight i thought i was doing something wrong or had misssed a step.

They are pretty tight. 72.5 ft lbs if I remember right.

--Wag--

They are pretty tight. 72.5 ft lbs if I remember right.

--Wag--
For oem wheels......if they're aftermarket rims you need to consult the manufacturer. Some are drastically different, mine are 1/2 the original torque specs.

Back