Front Axle 'Tool' failure

THE MENACE

Registered
Hi Folks!!

So I tried to remove the front wheel on my 2006 busa, and fashioned the 5/8 bolt tool like many of you have done before for the front axle. However I could not get enough torque on it to move the axle before moving the nuts themselves on the bolt. How do you guys get around this? It would seem this is a difficult process, as loosening the axle puts the same loosening forces on the nuts on the bolt. I tried a lock washer, and have the 'tool' setting up with JB Weld right now, but even then I am dubious that it wont crack under the torque of the breaker bar.

Is it normal to require a ton of torque to get these front axles off? How do you guys keep the nuts from moving? I do not have access to welding stuffs, just JB :lol:

-THE MENACE

You did loosen the pinch bolts, right? Should be able to dang near turn that by hand!

Cycle Gear sells an axle tool for around 20 Bucks. I have a Gen 2 and have never had a problem. Insert tool in hollow axle and hold with a breaker bar. Loosen axle nut on the other side, Loosen pinch bolts, remove axle bolt and remove the axle.

You can leave the pinch bolts on the hollow side of the axle tight and just loosen the ones on the side with the axle bolt. Once you break the bolt loosen the other side and she'll slide right out.

Not trying to be cynical (which is a huge step for me LOL ) but I think you're doing something wrong. It shouldn't be that tight..

Are you certain you are removing the correct side pinch bolts, and leaving the correct side tight?

I have the correct pinch bolts loosened, but someone, no clue who, MAY have thought it was reverse threaded.....

-THE MENACE

:laugh:

Hope you get it all sorted out. I actually made a front tool, but instead of double nutting it, I had the nut welded on.
Know anyone with a welder?

Only Mr. James B. Weld. We will see how strong he is tonight. I will either try to find an odd size 15/16th spark plug socket or a piece of bar stock or a 5/8 union.

I still dont get how some of your guy's tools work unless the bolt is reverse threaded....you guys must have some secret you arent sharing :poke: :)

-THE MENACE

Take yer homemade nut and bolt deal and drill a decent sized hole thru nut and bolt.Insert steel pin of some sort(smaller bolt,etc,but something bigger and stronger than a peice of coat hanger,split pin perhaps from local hardware store) grind flush,if nessecary and yer done.

If that doesnt work,add the force of an impact gun. Sounds like a paranoid back-yard-bob used a gallon of loctite and 500 ft pounds of torque.

Unless of course its you..."Lefty Loosey-Righty Tighty" :poke:

RSD.

i only lossen the brake side (the side with the nut) i had work just hit a bead on it so its welded. never had a issue

The pin idea is fantastic, I will use that in the next version of the Official Suzuki Front Axle Tool (knockoff edition). Lefty Locked in, Righty Removed, got it.:laugh:

Sounds like I need to find a welder

-THE MENACE

Take it to your local muffler shop. They'll prolly do it for free... :beerchug:

My 04 had the same problem. I ended up welding the nuts. Even then I had to stand on the breaker bar to get it to come loose. I bought the bike brand new.

Measure the hole and go to lowes and get a threaded rod coupler from blue hardware drawers. I couldn't find the right one for a buddies 600, so we got the bigger size and used a bench grinder to widdle it down. Use an adjustable wrench or socket to turn it. Works great!

ForumRunner_20130514_211126.png

ForumRunner_20130514_211126.png

Cycle Gear sells an axle tool for around 20 Bucks. I have a Gen 2 and have never had a problem. Insert tool in hollow axle and hold with a breaker bar. Loosen axle nut on the other side, Loosen pinch bolts, remove axle bolt and remove the axle.

That tool has four different size hexes that work on all hollow axles. No welding required.

The coupler idea was next on my list, but I stopped by my favorite ma and pa auto parts store, found a socket for an oil sending unit. That + breaker bar + years of cheeseburgers got the axle off. In hindsight, that's probably the fastest way to do it. But the coupler bench grinder idea probably would have worked best.....

THANKS for your help guys!! Q2 mounted in the front, twisties here I come!! :thumbsup:

-THE MENACE

Back