Front axle install question

Chaney3000

Registered
I searched and couldn't find any info on this so I posted this thread. I got my wheel back on and the axle installed. However, I had to hammer it back in place. Its my first time taking the wheel off solo and wasn't sure if this is correct.

Here's what I did:

Lined wheel up. lifted wheel. Slide in greased axle through until it stopped. Made sure wheel was aligned. I tried tightening but it wouldn't tight so then I hammered it down then tightened it down. It went flush on the brake side but the clutch slide looks like it slide out some.

So, I putting up some pics so you guys can check this out and let me know if it looks ok.

Hard to say without seeing. I assume you are talking about the rear wheel. I took mine off and put back on many times (Gen 1). I always had to use mallet (rubber hammer) to bang on the axle lightly to get it in. When you put the axle in, before you start hammering, or right after you start hammering, make sure the axle head is lined up so that it can fit insid the ridges on the left side of the swingarm. If you don't line it up properly, you won't be able to push the axle all the way in. Also, don't forget the spacer under the sprocket, also lube with grease the rubber cushions where the sprocket goes so it seats in nice and tight.

You're all set, go ride!

I'll usually give mine a tap or 2 to be sure its ready to engage the threads before ill get on it with the wrench. The clutch side does stick out a bit and brake side should be flush, just as your pics show.

Hard to say without seeing. I assume you are talking about the rear wheel. I took mine off and put back on many times (Gen 1). I always had to use mallet (rubber hammer) to bang on the axle lightly to get it in. When you put the axle in, before you start hammering, or right after you start hammering, make sure the axle head is lined up so that it can fit insid the ridges on the left side of the swingarm. If you don't line it up properly, you won't be able to push the axle all the way in. Also, don't forget the spacer under the sprocket, also lube with grease the rubber cushions where the sprocket goes so it seats in nice and tight.

Sorry man, its the front wheel. Pics would have shown that but unfortunately, they aren't up yet.

Hmmm if you are using a hammer to install an axle something isnt aligned properly or all the proper hardware isnt loose enough.

Hmmm if you are using a hammer to install an axle something isnt aligned properly or all the proper hardware isnt loose enough.

I was thinking that but was unsure.

Anyway, I loosened the pinch bolts and used tapped the clutch side flush and then tightened the axle down more until the brake side was flush as well. Tightened up the pinch bolts on the clutch side and left the brake side loose so when I put it back on the ground I can bounce the front end some before tightening the brake side pinch bolts.

you need to losen the pinch bolts on stator side and get the "nut" flush with the fork,,,no gap,,,their might me something funky with your stand,may me forcing the forks together.
that gap is not acceptable.

2013-06-01202733_zpse9c0a9fc.jpg

you need to losen the pinch bolts on stator side and get the "nut" flush with the fork,,,no gap,,,their might me something funky with your stand,may me forcing the forks together.
that gap is not acceptable.

2013-06-01202733_zpse9c0a9fc.jpg

I tightened it up. Loosened the bolts and got that side flush then tightened the axle down. I thought that looked wrong.

Back