From one speed king to another

Kroeb

Registered
Howdy all :)

New to the Bussa forum and I am hoping that I will get heaps of advice and opinions on the new Gen 3 for when I purchase mine in the new few months :)

I have been the very proud owner of a 2006 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird for near 16 years now and she is finally starting to cost me a great deal of money to maintain and service. In all, it's been a combination of Honda not doing new OEM parts for Birds anymore, shortage of available OEM Honda parts, a dry-up of decent after-market parts, and stupid bloody COVID lol

So after a very long and painful thought process, I have decided to get a new bike :) And there is really nothing out there to compare to the Bird - other than a Bussa. So Saturday I test rode the new Gen 3 Bussa and loved it. So similar to my Bird in power and ride position and feel and friggin heaps of tech wow. It's been 15 years since I have looked at new bikes and I have been blown away with the Bussa. If only Honda had refined the Bird like Suzuki has with the Bussa - oh well :(

My dislikes of the new Gen 3 (picky stuff I know):
1. Mirrors are very small (compared to my Bird) - may need to go aftermarket down the track
2. No rear hugger
3. No Radiator Grille WTF (just the oil cooler has one OEM)
4. Bike decals are just stuck on WTF (the Bird has all decals lacquered over)
5. No centre stand

So, I have a list of "extras" I am going to want and would love some advice on availability and/or where to get stuff or additional stuff I should be considering :)

Ventura Bike L Bracket S091/B $360.00 kit $489.00 with bag, L bracket, and rack kit not available yet
Ventura Bike Sports rack SR16/B $90.00 not available yet
Ventura Bike Grag rail GH14/16/B $44.00 not available yet

Headlight protector $65.00 (www.whereszed.com)

Oil and Radiator grille $140.00 (rg-racing.com)
Kickstand shoe $60.00 (rg-racing.com)
Top bridge protector $40.00 (rg-racing.com)

Pazzo levers $350.00 (pazzoracing.com)

Tank protector $120.00 Carbon (Arashi brand)

Rear hugger $250.00 (pyramid-plastics.co.uk) - Pyramid hugger gloss black (a carbon one would be good)
Fender extender - front $50.00 (pyramid-plastics.co.uk)
Fender extender - rear $60.00 (pyramid-plastics.co.uk)

Paddock stand $350.00
Stand bobbins rear $50.00

Frame sliders/crash protectors $250.00

Sheepskin seat cover $265.00 (goodwool.com) TS 2 piece seat regular and CSD rain protector $35.00

Hel Braided ABS lines$360.00 HBF7786 pp $16.00
Hel Braided clutch lines $75.00 HBC7768

K & N air filter $120.00 SU-1308
K & N oil filter $20.00 KN-138

ProBolt Stainless Screen bolts $12.00
ProBolt Stainless Fairing Bolts $100.00
ProBolt Titanium Sprocket nuts $50.00
ProBolt Stainless sprocket nuts $35.00
ProBolt Oil filler cap $34.00
ProBolt Stainless Fuel Tank bolts $15.00
ProBolt Stainless Engine $100.00

At this stage, I will not bother with after-market pipes or exhausts or Power Commanders - that was a very expensive and drawn-out process with my Bird. The end result was awesome but I do not think it is really needed on a new Bussa......at this stage :)

Hope to get some good feedback from you all :)

Cheers - Paul

Welcome, Paul! I don't have personal hands-on experience with the Gen3, but based on what others have said it is going to make you quite happy. Your wallet on the other hand might not be so, but based on your list and the intimations you made about the Bird I guess you already know that! :D

Welcome, Paul! I don't have personal hands-on experience with the Gen3, but based on what others have said it is going to make you quite happy. Your wallet on the other hand might not be so, but based on your list and the intimations you made about the Bird I guess you already know that! :D
Yea the old Bird continues to tack up the $$$$ - but this is what we do right lol - I am darn sure there will be heaps of extras I will eventually get for the Bussa lol

At this stage, I will not bother with after-market pipes or exhausts or Power Commanders - that was a very expensive and drawn-out process with my Bird. The end result was awesome but I do not think it is really needed on a new Bussa......at this stage :)

If you get to the feeling where you want to drop some weight, either to match the CBR or perhaps get even lighter then the exhaust is a quick change. The ECU could possibly be flashed with a stock map as well. Coming from a VFR I was astounded at the ease with which these Busa owners make some of these changes.

I have not ridden a gen 3 but the throttle response of the gen 2 is like driving a Lexus. From that respect yes it requires no correction. The Deceleration Fuel Cutoff can make transitions from slowing to on-throttle extremely rough. FYI that is a software switch in the ECU.

Hi there mate , great to welcome another Aussie to the org. , and congrats on your excellent next choice of motorcycle . I have heard the blackbird was a great bike too , it really got the top speed wars going for Kawasaki and Suzuki to reply . We got to thank Honda for that , and beloved Suzuki for the Gen 1 Busa being the fastest bike of last century .
Anyway , looks like you got plenty of advice on your plans for the mighty Gen 3 , looking forward to seeing and reading about your new machine and ride journey .Cheers mate .

Paul, good day,

You are embarking on a whole new direction in performance bike riding experience. Your list is long, your plans are good, your heritage on the Blackbird is remarkable. 16 strong adventurous years becomes, well, a journey with a good friend. I hope you make your new Hayabusa your new good friend, but never forget what brought you to this point. Great machines. Both.

This is a very good community of enthusiasts, with resources for repairs, improvements, and just extremely good historical knowledge. Quite the group.

Welcome, I do hope you can make it home here for all your needs in regards to your new machine. Enjoy it.

Thanks for the kinds words Spudley - and yea you put it very well - my Bird is like an old friend :) People don't understand the love and joy my Bird gives me.....and I hope to continue that with the new Busa.

The funny thing now is, Black or Silver for the Bussa lol - I am so undecided as I have ridden the black and seen the silver in the flesh - both appeal to me - ahhhh decision decisions lol

After a lot of research the list of "must get now" stuff is as follows:

1. Venture-Bike rack for my bags - I reached out to them and they have not been able to secure a Gen 3 to measure up what fitments they need....soon I hope.

2. Carbon fibre tank protector - anyone found one that is for the Gen 3

3. Pazzo levers - I think I read that the Gixxer 1000 07/08 levers fit the new Gen3, anyone done Pazzos for their Gen3 yet?

4. Rear hugger - I read Pyramid Plastics do one that will fit with a slight enlargement of the holes for fitting. They also do a front fender extender which I would be after too and again not sure if it fits a Gen 3

5. Radiator grille - R&G Racing do them but I am not sure if they will fit the Gen 3

6. Headlight protector - No idea where to get but did find one on whereszed.com but not sure if it will suit a Gen 3

The aftermarket parts items are a little hard to come by as the Gen 3 is so new I suppose :)

Down the track I would also like to do a Delkevic full exhaust system (dual pipes) - by the time I get to this hopefully they will have developed a system for the Gen 3 :)

I am finding the advice and info here is just like the two Blackbird forums I live on for my Bird, good info and great people - so a BIG HUGE thanks to this forum community - it's been a real help :)

I will keep folks updated on this new Gen 3 Bussa journey I have started lol

Cheers - Paul

Thanks for the kinds words Spudley - and yea you put it very well - my Bird is like an old friend :) People don't understand the love and joy my Bird gives me.....and I hope to continue that with the new Busa.

The funny thing now is, Black or Silver for the Bussa lol - I am so undecided as I have ridden the black and seen the silver in the flesh - both appeal to me - ahhhh decision decisions lol

After a lot of research the list of "must get now" stuff is as follows:

1. Venture-Bike rack for my bags - I reached out to them and they have not been able to secure a Gen 3 to measure up what fitments they need....soon I hope.

2. Carbon fibre tank protector - anyone found one that is for the Gen 3

3. Pazzo levers - I think I read that the Gixxer 1000 07/08 levers fit the new Gen3, anyone done Pazzos for their Gen3 yet?

4. Rear hugger - I read Pyramid Plastics do one that will fit with a slight enlargement of the holes for fitting. They also do a front fender extender which I would be after too and again not sure if it fits a Gen 3

5. Radiator grille - R&G Racing do them but I am not sure if they will fit the Gen 3

6. Headlight protector - No idea where to get but did find one on whereszed.com but not sure if it will suit a Gen 3

The aftermarket parts items are a little hard to come by as the Gen 3 is so new I suppose :)

Down the track I would also like to do a Delkevic full exhaust system (dual pipes) - by the time I get to this hopefully they will have developed a system for the Gen 3 :)

I am finding the advice and info here is just like the two Blackbird forums I live on for my Bird, good info and great people - so a BIG HUGE thanks to this forum community - it's been a real help :)

I will keep folks updated on this new Gen 3 Bussa journey I have started lol

Cheers - Paul
Have a look on Webike for available parts, Japan generally are the first to start pumping out parts due to country of origin and I see a handful of what you’re chasing already available.

Back