From bone stock to 225 RWHP

gsxr1k

Registered
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, currently looking for a used busa to build to a twisty road friendly 225 rwhp minimum. No nos or turbo. Supercharger kit versus just building a NA motor (big bore kit, etc.).
Which is more cost effective?
Reliable ?
What hp numbers can I expect from each of these builds?
Sounds like the Supercharger kit (claimed 240 rwhp) is a min of $4500 so that's the price I'm starting from..

Any help you can send my way is greatly appreciated.

-Chad

Just a little question for you: why no turbos? You can lower the boost to get down to 225
smile.gif

Me thinks Big bore will get you to where you want to be, only cheaper then the super charger.

Besides a super charger is what I want to do and your not allowed to copy me LOL
cool.gif

If you want the bike for twisties why not spend the money on wheels, brakes, and suspension. You will probably only go slower with 225rwhp and none of the mods just listed!

To answer your question though, all motor 225rwhp would not be a great street bike. A well tuned turbo would be your best bet as boost can come on low enough to keep from having to deal with the lag in corners and at ~6lbs you wouldn't have to even touch the inside of the motor. Supercharge would be fine too, but the knowledge of turbos on busas is far greater. If you are really serious one of the better turbo system designers might be able to help build you a customized kit that will fit your needs best.

but really dude, go with some BST's, brakes, suspension, and all the basic bolt on power additives and you'll be happy! Trust me
beerchug.gif

It takes a ton of skill to run a stock Busa through the twisties and utilize the available power as it is... In fact, I bet that the number of guys here that can do it can be counted without taking your shoes off.... (and they are probably smart enough not to try it in the first place..)

I think you need 2 bikes....

It takes a ton of skill to run a stock Busa through the twisties and utilize the available power as it is... In fact, I bet that the number of guys here that can do it can be counted without taking your shoes off.... (and they are probably smart enough not to try it in the first place..)

You guys are making alot of "ass"umptions. Look deeper into the questions and stop trying to be my mom. I already have a gsxr 1000 a tlr1000 and soon a 200+ mph busa that I want linear power out of from just off idle to redline. Does that make more sense to the people you are stuck on the "twisties" word?
deadhorse.gif

Sounds like you know what you want--- a broad power and torque curve so you can really rip out of the corner to the next one. Don't forget the brakes, suspension set up and tires.
thumb_up.gif

xxx.jpg

You guys are making alot of "ass"umptions. Look deeper into the questions and stop trying to be my mom. I already have a gsxr 1000 a tlr1000 and soon a 200+ mph busa that I want linear power out of from just off idle to redline. Does that make more sense to the people you are stuck on the "twisties" word?
deadhorse.gif
[/quote]
welcome.gif

It seems you already know the answer.... Go with supercharger. And don`t forget updates on the progress.

I'll let you guys know about the goods and bads of my experience. So far a buddy and I going in on the busa together plan on going with california superbikes stage 1 supercharger kit: 240 rwhp from stock setup for $4250. Or the upgrade to this is $4500 and we get the SC setup thats upgradeable to the stage 2 good for 300 rwhp minus a adjustable cam gear and low compression spacer which you can buy later to up the hp. More later on.....

-Chad

Big bore is the way to go ! But I'm doing that soon and you can't copy me either So you are going to have to go turbo. Just kidding . You will get alot of different answers but I think NOS will give you the power you want when you want it and You already have more than enough power fo rthe twistys .

You stated "Twistie Road Friendly" and that may be rather hard to do.. sorry about the ASSumption you are referring too

Most engines lose low end torque and power when built to produce 25% more gross horsepower. There is a compromise in driveablitly that comes with that. Most drag race engines tend to get rather "pipey" and tend to "come on strong" as they start building power. That makes "twistie friendly" pretty tough to do.

A super charger could work but seems a waste of money to gain so little for so much compared to a turbo system. Lighter wheels, better brakes, good pipe and tuning could likely gain you better handling and more speed.

Big bore is the way to go ! But I'm doing that soon and you can't copy me either So you are going to have to go turbo. Just kidding . You will get alot of different answers but I think NOS will give you the power you want when you want it and You already have more than enough power fo rthe twistys .
MMMMMMMMMM, NOS.....
ThumbsUp.gif

You stated "Twistie Road Friendly" and that may be rather hard to do.. sorry about the ASSumption you are referring too

Most engines lose low end torque and power when built to produce 25% more gross horsepower. There is a compromise in driveablitly that comes with that. Most drag race engines tend to get rather "pipey" and tend to "come on strong" as they start building power. That makes "twistie friendly" pretty tough to do.

A super charger could work but seems a waste of money to gain so little for so much compared to a turbo system. Lighter wheels, better brakes, good pipe and tuning could likely gain you better handling and more speed.
dually noted Mr Bogus.

Back