From Bagger to Busa

johnbort2

Registered
Hello all. I have been lurking in anticipation of purchasing a Hayabusa. My question is, I currently have a '17 Street Glide(put 12k miles on it) I have had VRod, Ninja 600 and a bunch of other bikes...riding for 30 years. That being said, I have never ridden a super fast sport bike such as this. Will the transition be a huge one for me? While I have lots of riding experience, do I need to go to a 750 or 1000 first. Thoughts? I'm keeping my bagger for long distance. Thanks in advance.

The Busa is very smooth, you wont realize how fast it is. I was actually little disappointed when I bought my 00 back in 01 If you are used riding a harley you will be fine on the busa, no need to start on a 750 or 1000. Ohh and welcome to the board, won't find more knowledge on the Hayabusa than here!

I came from Harley's and other bikes before I bought my 08 Busa. Now I am on my 3rd. I had no problems aside from getting used to the riding position. There are lowered pegs and bar risers to help with that.

Ok cool, thanks for the help! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't jumping to large too fast. I "try" to be responsible. lol

Ok cool, thanks for the help! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't jumping to large too fast. I "try" to be responsible. lol

I currently own a Hayabusa and a 2015 Roadglide Special. I previously owned a Vrod as well.

The bikes are different but you shouldn’t have any issues whatsoever. You’ve owned and ridden multiple bikes and have 3 decades of experience. It’s not gonna do anything that should surprise you or make you afraid to ride it.The Busa is fast but honestly there’s more myth and nostalgia with the bike than anything else nowadays. There’s plenty of newer faster lighter bikes out there.

A lot of guys who’ve never ridden Harley’s before complained about the overall size and weight of the Busa. But you coming from riding Harley’s it should feel light as a feather so you should have an advantage riding it. Versus someone who’s never ridden anything bigger than a dual sport or 600

I currently own a Hayabusa and a 2015 Roadglide Special. I previously owned a Vrod as well.

The bikes are different but you shouldn’t have any issues whatsoever. You’ve owned and ridden multiple bikes and have 3 decades of experience. It’s not gonna do anything that should surprise you or make you afraid to ride it.The Busa is fast but honestly there’s more myth and nostalgia with the bike than anything else nowadays. There’s plenty of newer faster lighter bikes out there.

A lot of guys who’ve never ridden Harley’s before complained about the overall size and weight of the Busa. But you coming from riding Harley’s it should feel light as a feather so you should have an advantage riding it. Versus someone who’s never ridden anything bigger than a dual sport or 600
Awesome, thanks 1Busa

The simple fact you are asking is an excellent assurance you will be fine, as opposed to the, "I'm 18, ridden dirt bikes before and if I treat the bike with respect, (as if the bike is not a mechanical device but a state trooper LOL ) i should get a busa as my first bike" posts that regularly show up around here.

cheers
ken

I went from vrod muscle to busa.. Nothing special.. :D Im still a chill rider..busa or not.. lol .
did you ever solve that ratteling issue??? Did you post an update? still curious what happened....!
(sorry for Hi jacking this thread...)

Came from a Harley Fatboy Lo and a Yamaha Stryker 1300CC (Still have it) to the busa. No big difference, busa is easy to ride at low rpm as its not jerky at all. Great bike and easy to ride, welcome to the club.

You know those idiots that are like “ I’m a big dude so I need a big bike cuz I don’t wanna look like a monkey humping a football” ?
I’m one of those idiots. Straight from the safety course the dealership to buy a 2019 busa.
My experience on bikes is limited. I’ve rode a couple Harley’s once each and a gsxr600 twice. For a total of about 1.5 hours of riding.

So with that understanding of how lacking I am in the common sense department....

I’ll say this, you will be 100% fine on a busa. I do a lot of urban riding with some interstate and long country roads. I put the riding mode to B and it’s a legit kitten. B mode takes a little of the bite out of your low end which makes city driving a bit more forgiving but leaves your top end the same for those straights and interstate.
It is a heavy bitch, comin off that Harley you shouldn’t have much issue adjusting. It will be different though, maintaining a bike this heavy that sits up this high seems to put more stress on the calves than it does when you sit lower on bikes like the Harley where it feels like you use your thighs more.
One thing I like is the extended handles past the grips. Throttle side I keep my pinky and ring finger around that when I’m city driving to help prevent accidental chopping of the throttle. With your 30 years though I’m sure you have much more control over that throttle hand than I do though, with my 30 days lol.

In short man, you’ll have no problem. Anything you’re not used to on this bike, the bike has amenities to help you adjust.

You know those idiots that are like “ I’m a big dude so I need a big bike cuz I don’t wanna look like a monkey humping a football” ?
I’m one of those idiots. Straight from the safety course the dealership to buy a 2019 busa.
My experience on bikes is limited. I’ve rode a couple Harley’s once each and a gsxr600 twice. For a total of about 1.5 hours of riding.

So with that understanding of how lacking I am in the common sense department....

I’ll say this, you will be 100% fine on a busa. I do a lot of urban riding with some interstate and long country roads. I put the riding mode to B and it’s a legit kitten. B mode takes a little of the bite out of your low end which makes city driving a bit more forgiving but leaves your top end the same for those straights and interstate.
It is a heavy bitch, comin off that Harley you shouldn’t have much issue adjusting. It will be different though, maintaining a bike this heavy that sits up this high seems to put more stress on the calves than it does when you sit lower on bikes like the Harley where it feels like you use your thighs more.
One thing I like is the extended handles past the grips. Throttle side I keep my pinky and ring finger around that when I’m city driving to help prevent accidental chopping of the throttle. With your 30 years though I’m sure you have much more control over that throttle hand than I do though, with my 30 days lol.

In short man, you’ll have no problem. Anything you’re not used to on this bike, the bike has amenities to help you adjust.
.....there is a "B" mode on this bike....???

See, I don't find the Busa a heavy bike...I always read about how much it is a big heavy pig and I just don't see it. Is it a Ninja 300? No, but it's not that heavy compared to many bikes. My old Bandit is as heavy and carries it's weight much higher.

Coming off a 650+lb Harley, the Busa will feel like a feather.

It's all relative I guess..

The simple fact you are asking is an excellent assurance you will be fine, as opposed to the, "I'm 18, ridden dirt bikes before and if I treat the bike with respect, (as if the bike is not a mechanical device but a state trooper LOL ) i should get a busa as my first bike" posts that regularly show up around here.

cheers
ken

I did this , and I babied my first busa for 2-3 years before I was able to enjoy it.

Those modes don’t even do anything. Once you twist the throttle past 1/4, it nullifies it lol.

Back