Frist Ride Impression:

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Got the new Diablo Rosso's mounted in the standard 120/190 sizes. It's been a long while since I had a 190 on the rear and now I remember why: it just feels bigger on 190.
smile.gif

Anywho, trying to keep in mind that new tires ALWAYS feel way better than the worn off buggers that were just replaced, I did notice a few differences. Compared to my previous Metzeler M3s, the carcus feels harder. I don't know if that is true or not but they feel pretty hard, not absorbing too many bumps and I plan to dial back my suspension a little as a result. That is not a bad thing to me. Personally, I like feeling everything on the road or track rather than having a wobbly carcus. Put about 140 miles on them over a 3 hours period and even without having the proper tire pressure in them, they felt great. There is something about "Pirelli" rubber to me that just makes me feel planted and secure... even on NEW unscrubbed tires. The pics show I didn't really get over on the edges, but you can there is nothing but rubber out there - no tread, just slick for the most adhersion. No one is going to be over that far in the rain unless they are complete morons. But the rubber I did feel never gave me the impression it was in for anything less than a full on ride. MOST of the time I was thinking of my corner speed and looking for police than worried about scrubbing in the new rubber - and for me that is amazing since I am usually really paranoid until I can SEE the tires are good and scrubbed. The Rossos just stuck and felt great [I know, I know... like all new tires do.

I had forgotten how 190s feel, but am used to them again already. Also, this morning I let the air down to 36psi and they STILL feel pretty hard. The profile is round which is what I like so things feel even, as opposed to the V shaped "Turn or nothing" tires. Nothing wrong with those, I simply prefer more overall use. Again, this might be a new tire thing, or harder tire thing but turning into a corner sort of locked you into turning... compared to my older M3s which seemed to blow around more like a slight wind hit them. I consider that a good characteristic but don't know if it's the tire or simply NEW TIRES in general

Overall, I think it's a great tire, and I don't expect to get long life out of them, just plenty great stick and road feel. They have already renewed my interest in riding her, since the M3s never really impressed me as being great, just good enough. I was not ever really happy with them. NOW I am happy again.

As time and mileage passes, I will post more about them since they are fairly new and I've not read much on here about them. At this moment [150ish miles on them] I would buy them again in a second. But, I am kind of a Pirelli fan. Always been impressed with their stick on cars and cycles.

Some say the Pirellis are more expensive, but priced locally, they are about the same as anything else around here. Maybe 10 more or something. If they wear down fast [as I expect they will] you can count that against it for great expense for faster replacement. Me, I like the stick which equates to SAFE when riding a two wheeled rocket sle.... er, vehicle.

some pics for no reason

rear.JPG

yeah, yeah chicken strips. after so many track days, I'm not a fan of knee dragging on streets [that's just me] AND these are brand new tires. excuses excuses
smile.gif
Neverthe less, I did get over on them and never felt slippery. I can't wait to really get them heated and working. hit a few 160s yesterday and everything was perfect. Tires seemed to enjoy that

sidewall.JPG

I tried those on different bike. Great tires,
beerchug.gif
Lasted 1500 miles. 500LB Busa + 250LB my azz is to much weight for them. I`d pump them up to 40psi for the street.

Second ride impressions.  been on a few weeks now and I love them a lot.  using pressure around 34 from and rear, went out and did "55" on a large number of long strait and high speed [55mph] sweepers out in the middle of no where.  the tires never flinched, coughed, barfed, argued or complained.  After the Metzeler M3s, these Rosso's have, once again, restored my faith in street tires.  For 1.5 years I never really felt like the M3's would keep up and this never really pushed them near their limits I'm sure.  My riding would be placed in the medium to high level of spirited danger zones.  These tires just stick and inspire the confidence I like that lets you enjoy the ride, and think about the road and riding, rather than wondering what the tires are up to - like I felt with the M3.  The M3 is a FINE TIRE, but it reminds me more of an SUV than a Sports Car.  Ever tried to drive sporty with an SUV?  no fun at all.

The Rosso feels harder overall and I had to back my suspension down because every bump was translated to my arms.  It feels much better now and I can't wait to get back on the outback to play.  I believe the M3s were much more forgiving of bumps, but didn't translate the feel as well as a result also.

With the Rosso, hitting the trottle hard either takes off like a bolt or brings the front up.  I haven't spun them once.  But I haven't TRIED to either.  But I go full pin trottle a lot in first and second.  MAN, that is satisfying to feel the tires bite rather than ponder and give way.

Will they last?  Probably not.  But that is not the point of my riding experience.  I'm usually ready for a new rear with every oil change, a new front every OTHER oil change.

I haven't gotten them on the race track yet and probably won't this year, but I suspect they will be as great as their older Diablos have treated me on track:  wonderfully.

There have been great reviews of Qualifiers, new BRidgestones and others, but there is something special about the feel of Pirelli rubber that keeps me coming back every time.   GLAD to get rid of the M3s even though they were "fine", much, MUCH happier to be on the ROSSO now

Addendum: pumped them up to 42 PSI Sunday just for kicks and to carry a passenger on a tour, and they felt just as planted as 34-36 range. I wasn't hammering on them, but they really didn't feel any different even though I am certain the contact patch was smaller. Still sticky and inspiring

no, they are a new addition to the Diablo family tree of street tires.

for the viewing audience, CIRCUIT or RACE TIRES [on the left] are NOT street legal and REQUIRE tire warmers for safe, warmed up use on race tracks, and designed to only last 5 to 10 [guessing?] heat cycles.

rosso.JPG

No, they are the replacement for the reg diablos. A little more grip but not a contender to the corsa. I responded on wwjd first post on the rosso's,my initial reaction was little improvement on the diablo. After more miles(1,000)I must say they are better than i first thought. The initial squirm from new rubber height is now gone and they feel great. I agree they do have a stiff sidewall and are a bit heavy,but that,I guess is why they have unparalled feedback;Imo. They still do not compare to the corsa so i will have to make do,I need to run a 60 series tire due to intercooler.
thumb_up.gif

do the corsas require much heat up on the street? I suspect they do, but I want to try them out. I don't get to railing around as often as I'd like so I go for the STREET tire.

No more heat up time,probably less. Since you like the rosso's you will love the corsa's,like in the first few miles.I have never taken to a tire so quickly! tires were fully broken in by 50 miles. I had the 65 series front tire(corsa)and much prefered it to the stock 70,enhanced turn-in and feedback(FEEL).Oh yeah,wear was on par to the reg diablo's. They did cup like any tire that is pushed, but behaved the same throughout the tires life and did not go off like other tires(including the diablo).
beerchug.gif

my freind has a set of corsa 3's dual compound. 3000 of straightline already showing cords. SO i told him well you got screwed. BUt he only commutes and do a few local rides with me and even on a ninja 6rr

Back