Friend says best way to wash bike is with only water... Sounds like BS...

So sleepless red I want to know what all you use to clean it like to get all the places. What's all in sleepless reds box of cleaning lol or is that top secret?

Mine has never seen water. Only pledge in the yellow can since new per RED's advice!!

BusaWhipped said:
Luci and Cherri get power washed followed by leaf blower dry to prevent the spots. I don't care if they aren't the cleanest bikes around.

That what I do as well, meguires then leaf blower!

Sent from my busa!

So sleepless red I want to know what all you use to clean it like to get all the places. What's all in sleepless reds box of cleaning lol or is that top secret?

I second that! my mechanic loves the no need for gloves when working on my bike. But that bike is gorgeous!!

Man, if sleepless_red's bike isn't THE endorsement for Pledge (and keeping the bike looking better than when it left the factory), I don't know what is. One question: does Windex or Pledge remove grease and road grime from wheels?

water and a few drops of dish washing liquid wash clean rinse with hot water and shimmy dry or air dry at hiway speed no chemicals allowed

Dish washing detergent will strip off all wax or protectant.
I hope you put a nice coat of wax on afterward?

How do you folks who don't use water get all the crud out of inside of bike?
How do you clean radiator, oil cooler, and other places?
I use a medium force hose not pressure washer and flush radiator and cooler from backside.
You'd be surprised how many bug pieces and other stuff comes out.
When I remove fairings little rocks and stuff fall out and I wash engine as well.

Just curious how waterless works for stuff like this?

How do you folks who don't use water get all the crud out of inside of bike?
How do you clean radiator, oil cooler, and other places?
I use a medium force hose not pressure washer and flush radiator and cooler from backside.
You'd be surprised how many bug pieces and other stuff comes out.
When I remove fairings little rocks and stuff fall out and I wash engine as well.

Just curious how waterless works for stuff like this?

This is my question too!

After 5 days on the road, with thick bug splats dried hard, brake dust all over the calipers, road grime under the nose cone, chain crap on the rear wheel, bug parts in the radiator and oil cooler, muddy stripes under the rear fender, and all that. How does Pledge make it all come clean again?

For me, it's car wash soap in a warm sudsy bucket, some S100 for the brake dust and hard to reach places, wash thoroughly, rinse, blow dry with the exhaust side of the shop vac and towel, short ride to heat it up and blow out the rest of the water, then a wax job (usually the next day).

I tidy up between washes with Meguires Ultimate Quik Detailer (or Pledge).

To those of you that avoid water... does your bike ever get filthy dirty?

Why should bike wash and detail be any different than automobile wash and detail?

This is my question too!

After 5 days on the road, with thick bug splats dried hard, brake dust all over the calipers, road grime under the nose cone, chain crap on the rear wheel, bug parts in the radiator and oil cooler, muddy stripes under the rear fender, and all that. How does Pledge make it all come clean again?

For me, it's car wash soap in a warm sudsy bucket, some S100 for the brake dust and hard to reach places, wash thoroughly, rinse, blow dry with the exhaust side of the shop vac and towel, short ride to heat it up and blow out the rest of the water, then a wax job (usually the next day).

I tidy up between washes with Meguires Ultimate Quik Detailer (or Pledge).

To those of you that avoid water... does your bike ever get filthy dirty?

Why should bike wash and detail be any different than automobile wash and detail?

If you let the dirt/bugs build up to extreme then it may need to be washed. Some wipe down before and after each ride. Suzi doesnt go that long without a wipe down.
I wouldnt let bug guts sit on clearcoat / paint very long, they have high amounts of acid which is hard on paint.

Yes pledge does remove grime from wheels.
I usually wipe my wheels down first with a micro fiber clothes to get the brake dust off, then I will spray the pledge and wipe em down... White wheels :banghead:

If you use the Dupont Chain wax properly you dont get "Chain Crap" all over

If you let the dirt/bugs build up to extreme then it may need to be washed. Some wipe down before and after each ride. Suzi doesnt go that long without a wipe down.
I wouldnt let bug guts sit on clearcoat / paint very long, they have high amounts of acid which is hard on paint.

Yes pledge does remove grime from wheels.
I usually wipe my wheels down first with a micro fiber clothes to get the brake dust off, then I will spray the pledge and wipe em down... White wheels :banghead:

If you use the Dupont Chain wax properly you dont get "Chain Crap" all over

Maybe I use my Hayabusa differently than most.

When I pull into the Sand Dollar Motel in Gold Beach after a 400 mile day, with a light mist and a fog rolling in, going over the bike with a rag and a can of Pledge somehow just isn't on the list of things to do :laugh:

She gets a good bath and a mani/pedi when we all make it home again.

Maybe I use my Hayabusa differently than most.

When I pull into the Sand Dollar Motel in Gold Beach after a 400 mile day, with a light mist and a fog rolling in, going over the bike with a rag and a can of Pledge somehow just isn't on the list of things to do :laugh:

She gets a good bath and a mani/pedi when we all make it home again.

Then yes, if you let the dirt sit for days then its going to need a bath..
I do many 3-5 day weekend trips in the mountains. Last one was NC got up early to ride, got rained on came back wiped down, went back out rained on again:banghead: wiped down, 3 rd time rain again then it was wipe down and beer time.
Everyone has there preference. multiple quick cleans, or one big clean. Which ever fits your style and works best for you.
Just was answering the question to how pledge will clean your description... Most people I ride with keep there bikes clean, clean before a ride and clean after the ride.. Pledge & microfiber clothes are used more as a detailer.

Everyone has there preference. multiple quick cleans, or one big clean. Which ever fits your style and works best for you.

Roger that.

I just don't understand how to get all the nooks and dark places clean without water. If I could figure that out, I'd convert to the "multi quick wipe down" method for sure. Sometimes I have to psych myself up for the big bath. It's very time consuming to say the least.

if you use compounds and wheels all the time you can wear out your clear coat because your applying friction to it, now using soap and water, pledge etc to clean it you are perfectly fine. Now on another note using armorall will dry out the plastic and can cause it to crack.. my stepdads a custom painter and ive seen good paintjobs destroyed and fish eyed from the use of armorall

Roger that.

I just don't understand how to get all the nooks and dark places clean without water. If I could figure that out, I'd convert to the "multi quick wipe down" method for sure. Sometimes I have to psych myself up for the big bath. It's very time consuming to say the least.

It's a labor of love. Who doesn't like sudsing up sexy girls?

For the plastics, wheels, and anything I can polish, I use Pledge and microfiber towel. For the chain, I use DuPont chain lube and the blue disposable shop towel.
Man, if sleepless_red's bike isn't THE endorsement for Pledge (and keeping the bike looking better than when it left the factory), I don't know what is. One question: does Windex or Pledge remove grease and road grime from wheels?
I've never used Windex before. With Pledge, it depends on how dirty the wheels are.
If it looks like like the one in the pic below, I'd wash it first.:laugh:

Oh yeah!!! The wheels get dirty sometimes.:rofl:
6fcc105c.jpg

.....FWIW: "For many years, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari, Porsche, Rolls Royce and Bentley together with other fine car manufacturers have recommended using only pure water to wash your car."

Detailing

He says that he's read that washing your bike with water and a rag will keep you bike cleaner and longer lasting than if you used a buffer gun or whatnot and used polishing compound, wax, etc...
He says that the chemicals ruin the paint on your bike and that water is better in the long run...
Is this true?
I only use water and microfiber towels to wash mine.....no hose, just damp cloth to wash and dry cloth to dry. Then a good wax or pledge every so often to keep the paint protected. Harsh detergents will dry out paint over time. And electric buffers will remove a lot more paint than you need to if not careful. As long as you're paint job is well maintained, you shouldn't need to use strong chemicals or power buffers on it regularly. Your paint WILL last longer the gentler you can be on it :thumbsup:

When I bought my busa, the salesman said that I'd never have to wash it because it goes so fast that the dirt would just fling off! :laugh:

I've had my '95 Mustang for 15 years, it's red, I have no garage to keep it in...I've ALWAYS just used water and while the rubber bumper paint is finally showing it's age, the rest of the red paint is still looking great for never being garage kept, for sitting in the sun so much...

I'd always heard just use water too, so that's pretty much what I've done with the Mustang and what I do with the Busa...

Back