Friend of mine went down

ibified

Registered
Well, a friend of mine laid his 2007 R6 down yesterday - bad enough that I had to go pick him and the bike up with my truck. Sad, too, because it only has about 140 miles on it. He's fine, but the bike has pretty extensive damage. The damage that I found in shaking it down was as follows:

1) all plastics on left side scratched/scuffed
2) tail fairing destroyed
3) taillight destroyed
4) front stay snapped completely off
5) left side handle bar snapped off
6) frame slider on left side destroyed.
7) both front forks bent.

Now, I have a question for those of you who may have done this before....how hard are the front shocks to swap out? I have a head stand that I can lift the front with, so that isnt an issue. Also, where's a good place to get front shocks without paying an arm and a leg for them? I checked ebay and didnt see any.

Thanks in advance, all.

replaced some on a freids R1, They were quite simple but I am also a mechanic by trade. If the forks are bent VERY high possibility the tree is bent aswell. lay them on a straight surface to see that they remain flat in all areas.

KOK:

Thanks.  I didn't think about that, but the tree being bent is a definite possibility.  When you look at the front end all assembled and have the wheel straight, the lower tree is off to the left, and the wheel is also pointing left.  Is that an indication of the tree being bent, or is that just the shocks curving things off of straight? Also: the top tree doesn't line up with everything when i try to put it back together. I could get it back on, but it involved a lot of tugging and a some rubber mallet action.

Thanks for the well-wishes for him, guys. I'm frankly amazed that he wasnt hurt at ALL. he went down in a turn goin about 50 mph. I also think he got off light because by the time the bike hit the ground, it was on a nice level stretch of grass.

Glad he is o/k, now get that bike back together cuz the
best time to ride is on it's way (FALL).

140 Miles ? Was he a Begginer ? If SO don't let this Accident FREAK HIM OUT !! Tell him to get back on that FU.... Right Away. Otherwise FEAR will set in and he could lose 15 years of Good Riding
wow.gif

yes, hes a new rider. yes, I tried to talk him into getting something a little easier to ride, yes, i tried to talk him into at least taking the MSF course before he got on it. You can lead a horse to water, but...well, you know how it is.

And I don't think it's going to scare him away from riding, but i dont think he'll be back on a bike until next year. It'll take him that long to fix this one.

So far we have lost three people at work (killed) while riding 600 cc sports bikes--- they were new riders. Another guy bought a HD V-Rod the other day which is his FIRST bike also.

Motorcycle Riding is the Best Feeling that anyone can ever Experiance in this life. On the other hand, It's ALSO one of the Dangerous things you can do in life. In MY OPINION you have to be one of those People that Have Natural Common Sense. What I mean is that if you have NEVER ridden a bike before, Let the EGO and SELF PRIDE go and Ride within your Limits !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love My BUSA, but I still have a problem leaning the BEAST over During Turns. I REALIZE THAT !!! I have COMMON SENSE !! That means i don't hit corners that I feel Uncomfortable with !! PERIOD !!! I ease into turns untill I Feel Like it's SAFE. Sorry for the SERMON but WTF.... I am an ORDAINED MINISTER after all
SHOCKED.gif

Reverend ROB
bowdown.gif

Update:

Checked the forks and lower tree...both forks are bent as well as the lower tree. He bought a set off a wrecked R6 tghat are supposedly straight for $375, bought a tail light for 8 bucks, bought an undertail from hotbodies for 175 bucks, and bought a tail for 125 bucks. Still waiting to hear back from a guy on a handlebar - but once we get that, I can start rebuilding it for him.

using the international currency among friends, I'm rebuilding it for him for a case of Smithwicks. I think we're both getting a pretty good deal out of the whole thing.

He has insurance, but its only liability. His driving record isnt the greatest, and he's 24 yrs old. he called all over the place and the best rate he could get on full coverage was $688/month. Yes, you read that right, and no, I'm not joking.

(Bosshound @ Aug. 20 2007,03:41) Motorcycle Riding is the Best Feeling that anyone can ever Experiance in this life. On the other hand, It's ALSO one of the Dangerous things you can do in life. In MY OPINION you have to be one of those People that Have Natural Common Sense. What I mean is that if you have NEVER ridden a bike before, Let the EGO and SELF PRIDE go and Ride within your Limits !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love My BUSA, but I still have a problem leaning the BEAST over During Turns. I REALIZE THAT !!! I have COMMON SENSE !! That means i don't hit corners that I feel Uncomfortable with !! PERIOD !!! I ease into turns untill I Feel Like it's SAFE. Sorry for the SERMON but WTF.... I am an ORDAINED MINISTER after all
SHOCKED.gif

Reverend ROB
bowdown.gif
+1 I'm still taking corners slow, overall i may have 1000 miles of riding experience so no rush here. I wanna keep my baby nice for the long haul.

Glad he's ok, but maybe he should consider a different bike and a more relaxed riding style. If nothing else, just to ease his burden for insurance.

Back