Friend lost his thumb last night

Sorry about your friend Ron. I hope the doctors can help him heal up quickly.
sad.gif

NEVER EVER do maintainence on the drive gear while the bike is running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Between the momentum of the spinning wheel, and the torque that the tranny gear ratio produces can take your wrist clean off!

A chain can be cleaned and oiled turning the wheel by hand more thuroughly than with the engine running anyway. The oil gets a better chance to penetrate the metal if it doesn't get flung off right away. First gear can't even turn the chain slow enough to get proper penetration of the oil, so you waste more then you need to using that method.

That's about as smart as adjusting the driveline on a car while the engine is running, and it's in gear on a jack! One little wobble, and the car can take your life!

Riding a motorcycle is risky enough. You need to take safety precautions ALL the time, not just while your riding!

(TruWrecks @ Oct. 30 2006,17:48) Sorry about your friend Ron.  I hope the doctors can help him heal up quickly.  
sad.gif

NEVER EVER do maintainence on the drive gear while the bike is running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Between the momentum of the spinning wheel, and the torque that the tranny gear ratio produces can take your wrist clean off!

A chain can be cleaned and oiled turning the wheel by hand more thuroughly than with the engine running anyway.  The oil gets a better chance to penetrate the metal if it doesn't get flung off right away.  First gear can't even turn the chain slow enough to get proper penetration of the oil, so you waste more then you need to using that method.

That's about as smart as adjusting the driveline on a car while the engine is running, and it's in gear on a jack!  One little wobble, and the car can take your life!

Riding a motorcycle is risky enough.  You need to take safety precautions ALL the time, not just while your riding!
+1

Sorry to hear about your friend. I will keep him and his wife in my prayers. Thanks for reinforcing us in the matter of risk management. I know I sometimes get a little careless when working on the cars and motorcycles.

I went by my friends last night to see how we is doing.

I guess he has went to work the last few days.

He told me even on pain killers he feels pain.

Yesterday at work he said he bumped his thumb on something (he has it bandaged all the way up to his elbow and the entire hand is bandaged up)

Anyway, he said when he bumped his thumb, the pain was so great he threw up.

I have told him about this post and he said great, if someone could learn from his stupid mistake that would be awesome.

Last night was the first time I talked to him about it. Here are the facts:

It was late at night, he normally pulls the chain guard off and has a special rag he uses and holds it on top of the chain with the chain pulling away from him. he also has a special rag he uses that is good quality, not ragged or anything

But he said that night he was tired and wanted to hurry up and get it done, so he didn’t pull the chain guard off, so he decided to clean it from the bottom, couldn’t find his normal rag he used so he used another one that was all tattered up and had threads hanging from it.

So the key factors to this mishap were

1) Late at night (not using good lighting)
2) Tired
3) Not following normal (for him) cleaning procedures
4) Not using familiar cleaning tools

I told him I wanted to take a picture of his thumb so I could post it here. He said no problem. I will try to get one this weekend.

Also, he said that they had to cut the thumb down from where it was ripped off, so in the process they needed to cut back his thumb bone. He said they used something like you would use for cutting cats nails, they just but it on the end of the thumb bone and “SNIPâ€￾ clipped a piece, needed it shorter “SNIPâ€￾ clipped another piece off.

They did this a few times witling his thumb bone down. He was awake and watching the whole thing

ORM .....hehe

I won't swing a leg off the bed to the floor unless I think there's a chance I can make it to the bike before the wife catches me with her "to do list" !

beerchug.gif

that is why i let the dealership do it ..there is no 12 step program for stupid

Damn, this thread hit the point! Another friend of mine (Roc) he's a member also talked about this thread last week while greaseing my chain. I'm sorry to read about your friend. His accident has changed my way of doing things!! ORM!!!!NCpanther01

(NCpanther01 @ Nov. 21 2006,17:54) Damn, this thread hit the point! Another friend of mine (Roc) he's a member also talked about this thread last week while greaseing my chain. I'm sorry to read about your friend. His accident has changed my way of doing things!! ORM!!!!NCpanther01
If this thread can help anyone avoid any accidents it was well worth me posting it.. just wish my friend hadnt had the accident he did in the process

just a heads up..they now say DO NOT put lost extremities on ice,they have a harder time sewing everything back together if the piece is frozen.

(DEVLDOG @ Mar. 04 2007,05:44) just a heads up..they now say  DO NOT put lost extremities on ice,they have a harder time sewing everything back together if the piece is frozen.
yeah I found that out half way to the hospital that night (dont remember what I said or if I corrected myself)

But half way there I got a call from the hospital, the asked me if I had the thumb piece in direct contact with the ice and I said yes, they told me to pull it out and wrap it in something then put it in the ice.

They told me it needed to be in ice BUT it could not have direct contact with the ice becuase ass you said that could / would freeze the tissue.

I with you.... Let's use our heads here.... Putting hand in moving chain is a VERY VERY bad idea...

We are messing with some dangerous toys and we need to respect what can happen to us when we aren't thinking clearly...

Hope all works well.

Holy resurrected post, Batman...

I clean my chain on the stand with the motor turning it, but I have a brush and it has an 18" handle. Quick, efficient, and easy, no risk involved.
smile.gif

(TIMMYDUCK @ Oct. 27 2006,16:04) It's easier to clean chains on bikes if you are left handed.
At least the way I do it.
Hope your friend heals quickly.
Hey I'm left handed...maybe that explains why I never thought of putting my bike in gear on the stand to clean the chain. Turning the wheel with my right hand while cleaning or lubing with the left has just always made sense.

(Rayabusa0818 @ Jun. 26 2007,19:46)
(TIMMYDUCK @ Oct. 27 2006,16:04) It's easier to clean chains on bikes if you are left handed.
Hey I'm left handed...maybe that explains why I never thought of putting my bike in gear on the stand to clean the chain.  Turning the wheel with my right hand while cleaning or lubing with the left has just always made sense.
Dayum Don! I'm left handed too and that's how I do it!
cool.gif

my friend did the same thing in 1987 on a honda cm 400 his thumb looks like a toe and dosent bend at all

I clean the out side of my chain with it running, but never the inside( thats always a manual spin for me. sorry to hear about your friend.

<!--QuoteBeginRayabusa0818+Jun. 26 2007,19:46-->
(Rayabusa0818 @ Jun. 26 2007,19:46) <!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBeginTIMMYDUCK+Oct. 27 2006,16:04-->
(TIMMYDUCK @ Oct. 27 2006,16:04) <!--QuoteEBegin-->It's easier to clean chains on bikes if you are left handed.
Hey I'm left handed...maybe that explains why I never thought of putting my bike in gear on the stand to clean the chain. ?Turning the wheel with my right hand while cleaning or lubing with the left has just always made sense.
Dayum Don!  I'm left handed too and that's how I do  it!  
cool.gif
Me too, left handed people are the only people in their right minds.
thumb_up.gif

<!--QuoteBeginRayabusa0818+Jun. 26 2007,19:46-->
(Rayabusa0818 @ Jun. 26 2007,19:46) <!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBeginTIMMYDUCK+Oct. 27 2006,16:04-->
(TIMMYDUCK @ Oct. 27 2006,16:04) <!--QuoteEBegin-->It's easier to clean chains on bikes if you are left handed.
Hey I'm left handed...maybe that explains why I never thought of putting my bike in gear on the stand to clean the chain. ?Turning the wheel with my right hand while cleaning or lubing with the left has just always made sense.
Dayum Don!  I'm left handed too and that's how I do  it!  
cool.gif
Me too, Left haneed people are the only people in their right minds.
thumb_up.gif

Back