Friday Morning Commute

gammalight

Registered
Well it was a typical morning as I started my 20 mile commute to work, traffic was not heavy, morons driving under the speed limit in the left lane, yada yada yada. I exit off one highway onto another and I am cruising messing around with my newly installed throttlemeister trying to set the speed correctly. After a few attempts of adjusting the throttle and setting the speed I look up and about a half a mile up the road (maybe more) I notice another bike pulled over on the side of the road. At the point of passing him I am 100% sure I am not speeding as I noticed it was a motorcycle highway patrolman. Then without further a-do he pulls me over, and explains to me that I was driving 82 in a 65. I told him that I was trying to set my throttle lock for cruise control and my speed may have fluctuated while I was setting it, but he didn't seem to care to much and wrote me my ticket.

Anyway, has anyone had a similar experience with this, while trying to set their throttlelock or any other device that assists in setting a constant speed, they were pulled for speeding? My whole point is after adjusting the throttle and setting the throttlemeister I was not speeding, but since the throttle was locked back in an accelerating manner (not knowingly) I may have continued to accelerate above the speed limit. My whole intention was to set the throttle within a reasonable speed of the speed limit and cruise. But my bike continued to accelerate, and by the time I set the throttle and looked up and then back at the speedometer I noticed I was almost or may have been speeding and pulled back on the throttle. Mean while being clocked by the officer whom I did not see. As we all know on this site the Hayabusa accelerates quite fast, and it is possible to accelerate 5-10 miles/hour rather quickly, sometimes without realizing it. Basically what I am saying is it doesn't take much twisting of the throttle to make that thing go fast while you have your eyes off the speedometer for a couple of seconds.

I have also noticed my speedometer is way off, especially at higher speeds. But unfortunatley it is off in the wrong direction. The speedo says I am going faster than I really am, for example if the speedo says I am going 80 I am really going 75. I have checked this using a GPS unit. I don't know if that helps in the building of my potential improper equipment claim, but with these facts do I have a case for improper equipment? Is there anything I can do to help my situation? Please help!!

redcomprs2.gif

un, nope...nothing you can do but pay the ticket. you are responsible for the operation and maintence on your vehicle and any defect or cause of you breaking laws is considered in the eyes of the court as your responsibility. example: if you install new exhaust and then get a ticket for noise and claim you didn't think it will be that loud when you bought, installed and rode it...aint gonna work buddy. at least, in my experience...not option is too prove you were not speeding, and its usually word against word, and 99/100 the cop will win. good luck

Back