Fraudulent Cashiers Check in STL

That really sucks.. Sorry about your dilema. He should nailed to the cross. Can't be to careful these days.
E

how the heck can the bank say the check is ok and then take it back and say its not. i thought that was the reason you let things clear at the bank before you gave up your merchandise.
anyway, dont know the guy but i hope you find him. in the meantime id be calling a lawyer.

That sucks though and hope you find him. I would only take cash or certified check then go to his bank to cash it.

how the heck can the bank say the check is ok and then take it back and say its not. i thought that was the reason you let things clear at the bank before you gave up your merchandise.
anyway, dont know the guy but i hope you find him. in the meantime id be calling a lawyer.

They cannot tell you if it's good or bad at that exact moment.
I can write you a check on a cocktail napkin with all the proper #s such as the transit and account and it would be legit. The problem is when they go to pull the funds electronically they either wern't there or never were.

That really does suck and I'm hoping you are able to get your money or the bike back in one piece.

How long did you wait from the time you deposited his check until you gave him the bike and title?

Just saw this on Craigslist, I was even eyeballing your bike the other day! I did not know it was you.....

The way they do it is that they get a real cashiers check with someone elses info on it.

I take nothing but cash anymore because of that......

If the bank cleared the check and the funds showed in your Acct then it should be their mistake not yours? That's the whole point of the banks checks and balances isn't it?
What would the bank be saying if you withdrew in cash in full amount of check as soon as it cleared? Call me the money would be long gone.

Really sorry about what happened and what your going thru.
Technically I guess since he gave you a bad check it would still count as being stolen?
Did you have ins on it?

If the bank cleared the check and the funds showed in your Acct then it should be their mistake not yours? That's the whole point of the banks checks and balances isn't it?
What would the bank be saying if you withdrew in cash in full amount of check as soon as it cleared? Call me the money would be long gone.

Technically I guess since he gave you a bad check it would still count as being stolen?
Did you have ins on it?

Depending on bank policy, any check over a defined amount is subject to a hold on funds. I have had to wait up to ten days for larger checks to clear. The guy I bought my Busa from had to wait five days for his money, and we used the same bank! Lol.

After reading this story, I'm kinda glad they have that policy. Good luck, OP. I hope there is compensation for you at the end of this fiasco.

Good luck man I hope it works out. Cashiers checks are one of the most commonly forged checks out there. It's always good to get a driver license and car plate numbers when doing a sale like this.

I really hope it works out and you get cash or bike.

Always VERIFY the IDENTITY of the person making payment. Write down DL #, etc., so that it's easier for the police to find them and you verify they are who they say you are. Make sure a bill of sale is properly executed. If it's a bunch of $$, arrange for the transaction at the back. Last but not least, insist on cold hard cash - at back that can check to see if it's not funny money.

tell me u still have insurance on it, have u called the police?

Did you have ins on it?

No check equals cash, even cashiers or certified. Deposited doesn't mean cleared. There is always a hold, you can't walk in to a bank and cash one and walk out with a wad of green. Hold time is probably 24 to 48 hours as opposed to 10 to 14 for a personal check.

Back