Frankenstein rear axle job

ZeePopo

Registered
So I'm trying to do a bit of a nutty job on my bird. I want to install a suspension mass dampener on my Gen 2. Problem is the guys that make the part don't make it for the Hayabusa. Here is the list of the models they do make-

So this is a simple device. Replaces the axle block on the nut side of the rear axle. So I can get a block and extension fabricated but it be great If I can use one of the models they make for other bikes. Which of these other bikes axle blocks do you think I may have the best shot at fitting on a Gen 2?

I know very little of the technology behind these. Have you spoken with anybody who has "real world" knowledge of products like these?
Are they race proven? Nobody likes a gadget better than me,but I wonder if there is a big enough advantage to be had with the time/energy/cash thats going to go into this. I confess I know nothing of the science behind it,but like you, I am anxious to learn.Is there a forum out there where perhaps some of the posters have a greater knowledge/understanding of these products.The claim to a 90% reduction in hi-sides sounds...

Things always move forward,technology always advances,it will never stop.Every great invention has to start somewhere and people have to take it out on the road so to speak,to prove its worth.If there is no visible down side I would say go for it,but for me personally I would collect more intel before pulling the trigger. I'm not sure,until maybe another member who has experience with these steps forward.
To more directly answer your question I would suggest it may come down to you and the manufacturer going back and forth to find out which of the products they have on the market is best suited for your needs.It may come down to crunching the numbers (accurate measurements,etc). If a current Busa owner has not gone before you and have already installed this devise on their ride,I don't see how anybody will be able to offer the answer you are looking for.Without product in hand,I'm not sure a proper evaluation could be offered.
Just my two cent's...and yes,I can make change. ;)
Rubb.

I know very little of the technology behind these. Have you spoken with anybody who has "real world" knowledge of products like these?
Are they race proven? Nobody likes a gadget better than me,but I wonder if there is a big enough advantage to be had with the time/energy/cash thats going to go into this. I confess I know nothing of the science behind it,but like you, I am anxious to learn.Is there a forum out there where perhaps some of the posters have a greater knowledge/understanding of these products.The claim to a 90% reduction in hi-sides sounds...View attachment 1619217
Things always move forward,technology always advances,it will never stop.Every great invention has to start somewhere and people have to take it out on the road so to speak,to prove its worth.If there is no visible down side I would say go for it,but for me personally I would collect more intel before pulling the trigger. I'm not sure,until maybe another member who has experience with these steps forward.
To more directly answer your question I would suggest it may come down to you and the manufacturer going back and forth to find out which of the products they have on the market is best suited for your needs.It may come down to crunching the numbers (accurate measurements,etc). If a current Busa owner has not gone before you and have already installed this devise on their ride,I don't see how anybody will be able to offer the answer you are looking for.Without product in hand,I'm not sure a proper evaluation could be offered.
Just my two cent's...and yes,I can make change. ;)
Rubb.
I'm hoping someone has one of the bikes listed and can measure the rear axle block or if they know what the rear axle diameter is for some of these bikes. I think I'll end up ordering one and the fabing something up. The science behind this device is used in architecture for massive structures and It's been banned in F1 so it must work hahaha. If you look up the videos of the F1 cars using it before the ban it's amazing how they ride over bumps. Bumps barely change the chassis geometry. Quite impressive. Many ways of creating a tuned mass damper. This is just one of them. Also I'm a sucker for suspension stuff lol.

Cool,I must research this.I cant get my head around the fact that the axle is fixed,doesn't move independantly from the only thing it is attached to(the swingarm),and yet there is a suspension performance enhancement that can accomplish something.Some Org genius will be along shortly to "tune me up" I'm sure. Thanks ZeePopo,
Rubb.

Yup,watched the video twice.I can see its usefulness in 2 joined objects that move.I just didn't think there was that much "play" between axle and swingarm?
Does this make any sense,or is this another topic for my next therapy session? :laugh:
Rubb.

Yup,watched the video twice.I can see its usefulness in 2 joined objects that move.I just didn't think there was that much "play" between axle and swingarm?
Does this make any sense,or is this another topic for my next therapy session? :laugh:
Rubb.
"Does this make any sense,or is this another topic for my next therapy session?"

. . . . . . 'therapy session' . . . hahahahahahahahahah!!
luvya bro. :beerchug:

I was tracking this too and was thinking it was pretty interesting. I have read that all suspension chatters, it's just a matter of how much. Apparently this "micro chattering" can greatly reduce traction so the high-side reduction claim is possible. So the science here is solid. My one apprehension is that it seems like getting the most impact out of this would require a pretty specific weight to the tuning mass. It does however indicate the unit can be "tuned" somehow. But I was thinking of trying it too. It looks like the R1 might work, or be close enough to be within some minor machining. If you make your own custom block, the Ducati one might be the ticket as it can just bolts on to the axle block you make. Anyway, I'll be watching this and may give it a try too.

If I remember right the R1 rear axle is same OD as the busa axle . Mayabe get on e bay and order a used R1 axle with its blocks ;) Last axle on e bay was 10 bucks I purchased

Yes! This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Do you remember what years of the R1?

Back