Frame swap advice....

mehogfan

Registered
Some of you maybe read my previous post about the need for a frame swap on my busa. Well the time has come for me to start the process. I have worked on bikes, cars, etc along the way but have never done this. I am actually looking forward to it in a weird way. Especially since my kids plan to help me. With that being said I wanted to ask all of you vets out there for advice. Any of you guys who have done this alot, what are some things I should avoid? What are things that you guys over the years learned that could help me avoid a headache when doing this? Just maybe some simple tips that could make things smoother for me. For some of you guys this is easy and no big deal. For me and my limited experience wrenching on these it will be a bigger deal. Take that along with the fact I am OCC. So I am stressing already. haha.

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer. Have a great weekend!

Download a copy of the service manual. Take pictures of anything which might confuse you when you go to put it back. Clean up your work area of extra stuff before you begin. Keep fasteners and bolts in labeled cups or baggies. I've had mine apart several times, work at your own pace, pay attention to what you're taking apart because it goes back together the same way, and don't get in a hurry. It's not as difficult as it seems.

Put bolts/screws back into pieces one removed if possible. For example, once you take the seat off, but the left bolt into the left bolt hole and the right bolt into the right bolt hole before putting the seat away for reassembly.

Other than that, good luck and I am glad you are taking this route with your issue. When I read about it a couple of weeks ago I thought this was the right course of action for you.

It's easier to put the frame on the engine then start adding parts from there. Makes it pretty easy doing it that way.

I will give you a helpful hint... I have never did a frame swap with a busa, but i have on many other bikes, cars etc....
Buy plenty of cheap zip lock bags and a black sharpie marker. This was you can label the hardware and keep track of small parts.. Also I take digital pictures of components that have an orientation to them such as color coded wiring to devices that dont have an idiot proof plug.
This will help keep things organized and together when you go to put it back together. Its a fun project if you have never done it before. It becomes a PIA after about the 3rd time IMO.. I blew 5 engines with my previous VMAX after the 3rd time it was boring and considered work instead of interesting.

Take lots of BEFORE pics, LOTS! This way you can go back and study whatever may confuse you upon reassembly.

I agree with all the above statements!!!! clean work area, zip lock bags, tape, pics, loctite, manual, take your time, double and triple check everything. All listed is a must.:thumbsup: Good luck, if you run into problems, you have hundreds of people here that will help with whatever we can!!!

I can do it in a day! Just take your time and be patient!

I will give you a helpful hint... I have never did a frame swap with a busa, but i have on many other bikes, cars etc....
Buy plenty of cheap zip lock bags and a black sharpie marker. This was you can label the hardware and keep track of small parts.. Also I take digital pictures of components that have an orientation to them such as color coded wiring to devices that dont have an idiot proof plug.
This will help keep things organized and together when you go to put it back together. Its a fun project if you have never done it before. It becomes a PIA after about the 3rd time IMO.. I blew 5 engines with my previous VMAX after the 3rd time it was boring and considered work instead of interesting.

I concur. Taking digital pictures of components is so helpful, I thanked myself so many times for doing this. Service manual always doesn't have the best illustrations and can get pretty confusing.

GIXERHP said:
I can do it in a day! Just take your time and be patient!

Bring it to this guys house, he'll scare ya as he works, it it'll all, e okay.
Ps john,,fork seals still holding strong. :thumbsup:

Smellphone via Forum Runner

Back