frame sliders

tinbender0

Cool Breeze
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone have any Pics of their frame sliders actually saving the bike
rock.gif
..... My buddy just laid his bike down just wondering if they would have helped him out???Thanks

i haven't had any experience with them personally but there are several threads on this site that say they are used primarily to save your fairings if the bike is tipped over or dropped at low speed...don't do a lot of good in a crash
sad.gif

They won't save your plastics unless you're lucky and its just a tip over.

They save engine hard parts as long as speeds are on the low side.

Once up to speed, they won't be much help.

They are called Frame Savers for a reason. They are designed to save teh frame from grinding on the pavement during a crash. And, they do a pretty good job of it as long as the bike stays on the pavement. However, I have seen many bikes just brutilized when the bike slides off the pavement and into the dirt as the frame slider tends to dig into the dirt causing the bike to flip into the air and do the end over end thing. Not Good.

I see many of the racers cutting their frame sliders off flush with the plastic to try and keep the bike on it's side during a crash. Some have removed them all together figuring it was safet to buy new plastic than to crunch the bike with a tumble.

They work great for tip overs in a parking lot or pulling out of the driveway etc. If you teach your wife/girlfriend how to ride in a parking lot, Frame Sliders are a must.

I have/had the Vortex frame sliders, went down 2 month ago, the bike actually got draged by a box truck that never knew we hit him, but every pc of plastic was replaced and not one pc of motor so yes they saved my motor and frame from any damage........... I just got her back tonight and will install them during the week.......
smile.gif

They haven't been tested on the Busa but they are installed.

I've seen them save the plastics of smaller bikes.

I've seen them not save the plastics of smaller bikes.

I can tell you first hand that they saved my a$$.

I have the long 6" sliders and I went down at 80+ the frameslider kept the plastic safe except for the lower half.

That was until the bike slid off the edge of the road and flipped bending the rear subframe, denting the tank, breaking the mirrors, windscreen, and levers.

The sliders also saved the foot controls and exhaust from any damage.

As far as me, I can imagine that I would have been stuck under the bike if the slider was not there.

my .02

as someone already mentioned?....they are "FRAME" sliders...not "Plastic Savers"...however...just a couplke weeks ago?...i tossed my beloved Oren Ishii down my own freaking driveway at about 3-5mph....with me on it...and both me and the bike slid a good 2 1/2-3 feet as witnesssed by the 1/4-1/2" deep gouges in my cement driveway and?....

granted....it was a low speed go down but considering the hit and slide the bike took?...i feel that the vortex sliders (couples with the solid mount footpeg rearsets) pretty much saved the day in a huge way...considering.....and for bonus points?....get this....I thought i was gonna need help getting my 500lb busa back upright...but the damn thing was actually balancing on the vortex sliders and the cyclecat footpeg....and once i rocked the rubber down to the grass?...i didn't even hafta grunt to get'er back upright....matter of fact?...i probably could've lifted the bike back up with one arm...as the Frame Slider never allows the bike to actually get..."Flat Against The Ground"...which makes thing far easier to lift back up...and i'm just sorry that i know that.
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(I reduced the pic size just a little to fit the page better, jwc)

DAMAGE1__Medium_.jpg

I saw someone flip a busa at the track. Basically, left with only a broken windscreen and light scratches.

Hey Jinkster thanks for the pic,,,,Sorry about your bike though. My friends bike is alot worse than that. Along with the scrapes, he cracked the tail section and tail light assembly. He really hasn't told me how fast he was going but he said if it wasn't for the fence he would have slid into a pond!!! I guessing the pond is a least 50 feet from the road!! He's lucky he's not hurt and says the bike seems O.K. other than the plastics..I guess it's time for custom paint or something!
Still don't know if I'm going to get sliders or not?
rock.gif
?

(tinbender0 @ Sep. 10 2006,04:00) Hey Jinkster thanks for the pic,,,,Sorry about your bike though. My friends bike is alot worse than that. Along with the scrapes, he cracked the tail section and tail light assembly. He really hasn't told me how fast he was going but he said if it wasn't for the fence he would have slid into a pond!!! I guessing the pond is a least 50 feet from the road!! He's lucky he's not hurt and says the bike seems O.K. other than the plastics..I guess it's time for custom paint or something!
Still don't know if I'm going to get sliders or not?
rock.gif
?
well?...if it helps ya decide?...i know that my vortex sliders saved my left fairing (albiet in a low speed go down on concrete) but the bootom line is this...

The sliders saved me about $800-$1,000 in plastics and additional damage had they not been there...also?...i believe the sliders would "help" greatly to prevent any engine case violations such as cracked clutch or stator housings which would leave one standed at the go down location bleeding mobil1 all over the road...so?..

IMHO?..."Sliders"....is ALWAYS a great idea.

My damage will be resolved with a a little touch-up paint work and fortified with a woodcraft stator cover (which has it's own integral slider).

Nothing is going to save all and the day in a catastrophic go down but?...for low speed tip-overs and mild lowside go downs?..."sliders"...along with solid mount footpegs..can and do make a huge dif in how much annnnnd...how badly...yer shid gets damaged...and?...dramatically increases your chances of...

riding away.

JMHO and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

They work!  Lamb has dropped his on both sides.............. AARRGGHH!  Mind you, it was just a tip over in the garage area, but the damage was $0.  No scratched, broken, harrassed or dented plastics.  No broken clutch or brake levers and no broken mirrors.  In short, nothing...............................  Worth every penny in case of a "Doh" moment.

Lets face it! most of our mishaps are below 30 mph, and the majority of the OH sh*ts are from tip overs at gas stations, parking lots, or the safety of our garages! So the frame sliders if its the ones that add bling or the cheapy's that bolt to at least the top fwd eng mount is worth having. If it causes it to flip while in a grinding halt from 90 mph! Well who wants it anyway!!!  
sad.gif

Not a ho'post! Couldn't edit even within seconds! Tip over in garage and all i got was a bent clutch lever! I had put these on one week prior,even though i had em before going to the dragon for 4 days of riding. Put em on after asking on this site.. Yep you won't be sorry!!!  
rock.gif
AOL.com Images Not Available

Yeah it's funny how it works out! Lamb dropped his on his left side the morning after he installed the sliders..............................(gasp).....................(big breath out, whhoooooo)

Did you guys install them yourselves or did you pay to have it done...Do they bolt to an existing place on the frame or do you have to drill and tap em'?

(tinbender0 @ Sep. 10 2006,19:35) Did you guys install them yourselves or did you pay to have it done...Do they bolt to an existing place on the frame or do you have to drill and tap em'?
The frame sliders are mounted using the stock engine mount bolts behind the side panels.
DSC02688.jpg

Use a laser aimed directly at the engine mount bolt head. You will have to remove the side panels and have a chair or stool handy to place the lazer pointer or leveler onto, you might also need some books, clay or whatever to get the correct height for the laser to hit directly on your targeted spot. Once you get the lazer pointing directly on the engine bolt head proceed to place your side panel back on the bike (dont move the bike). The lazer will now be reflecting on the outside panel where you need to place a 2" hole drill saw. Besure to cover the area with some tape before you cut the hole and that you set it in a reverse motion.

Volia, now go upstairs into your wife bathroom cabinet and get some clear finger nail polish to seal up the inside edges so the paint will not flake off in the future.

My .02

Back