frame sliders

busa854

Donating Member
Registered
Well my frame sliders came in today and I'm pretty nervous about the install (cutting holes in fairings). I think I read a thread about using a hole saw in reverse. Is that a good idea? Is there any special or particular hole saw I need to use or will a general hole saw from wal-mart work? Thanks in advance for any input.

I do a lot of wood work.........If I were to cut on my plastics(which is inevitable) I will purchase a holesaw at Home Depot or something. A quality tool....It would really flame me to mess up the fairing because of a cheap tool.

I had mine installed at the stealership, they did a great job plus they were responsible for the plastic. $80 and 3 hours

I used a hole saw from Loews, I did it from the back side instead of putting the drill in reverse. I was afraid it might bite and loosen the chuck holding the hole saw. i would say more importantly is to use a variable speed drill and go about medium speed. take a deep breath and jump.

Just put masking tape all over the area to drill. That will prevent paint chipping. Drill from the front or back. It won't make much difference.

I used a cheap 2" holesaw, but it was NEW. Don't use an old dull one. As long as it's sharp, it doesn't matter if it's a $4 drill or a $14. It's just cutting plastic.

Oh, and wait til you're done before cracking open that beer.
tounge.gif

I'm still one of those nervous guys. Thinking of taking it to the dealer and having them do it for me, that way they're responsible.

I just did this mod this weekend. Used a 2" hole saw and drilled from the painted side with masking tape over the area. Turned out real nice. See this thread:

That looks good abusad, I will tackle mine soon. When u say get the teeth of the saw on the same plane as the mounting bolt, what do you mean? Also, do you hold the drill parallel to ground (level) or do you hold it perpendicular to the plastic to be drilled?

busa854,

There is a recessed body mounting screw hole next to where you will drill the hole for your frame slider. It has a flat bottom. You need to angle your drill so that you are entering the plastic at nearly the same angle as the flat bottom of the mounting recess hole. It's a judgement thing, no particular science about it, but if you imagine that the body mounting screw is entering the frame at the same angle as the bolt that must mount the slider you will see what I mean. Study the way that body screw enters before you star your mods and you will see what I'm trying to describe.

This is the mounting screw you are sighting from:

the_hole.jpg

I called Suzuki-Yamaha of Texas and asked about installation. The guy said if I just wanted him to "punch" a hole and install it would be $60. But, if I wanted a really neat job it would be $100. I wonder if I could get a really ugly job for $40?

Back