Frame sliders

dannyhirji

Registered
Hi, I'm new here.
been reading posts all week...... eyes hurt,
Well anyway, I'm sure this has been asked before but does anyone out there have any pointers or pictures/Know how on installing frame sliders ?.
It's seems pretty risky if I were to make a hole at the wrong spot...I'm screwed.
is it norm to just get it over to a bike shop and have them do it?
I am quiet handy....but then again I dont want to screw up my brand new ride.
Any help is appreciated

the best method I've heard so far was to
1) remove all side plastics
2) screw in extended frame slider bolt, leaving about 2" of bolt protruding
3) take playdough and stick it to the inside of the plastic, allowing the bolt to mark the hole by smushing the playdough
4) drill a small 1/8" pilot holt in the middle of the playdough marked hole
5) go to home depot and buy the 1.5" or 2" hole cutting saw (depending on size of frame slider, bring it with you to match it up) with pilot drill bit. They sell it to cut doorknobs, etc.
6) carefully and slowly drill the 2" hole out of the plastic, inside out on a think rubber mat

There is a post on here with pictures, it came out awesome.

I personally wouldnt put them on, thats what insurance is for

Mike

just thought I'd say that I have seen some very cool carbon look sliders from lockhart phillips

check out their site...

Danny welcome aboard, I have the same bike and live on Staten Island. Where are you in NYC? As far as the directions are concerned I think all is correct but I would suggest using the hole saw from the outside in as they tend to splinter on the exit and cut cleanly on the entry cut. I think the job looks scarier than it actually is .Good luck !

Someone on this board...uhh...I think it's SirUKBusa, who has frame sliders that mount directly into the fairing bolt hole. Now, I would love this. I'm kinda like mikey, and I'm not cuttin' sh^t on my bike.

Brian

Big Foot, I'm in Manhattan on 25th and Park Ave....Once the sun comes out (Hopefully sometime this year) we shoudl get together and ride.

the best method I've heard so far was to
1) remove all side plastics
2) screw in extended frame slider bolt, leaving about 2" of bolt protruding
3) take playdough and stick it to the inside of the plastic, allowing the bolt to mark the hole by smushing the playdough
4) drill a small 1/8" pilot holt in the middle of the playdough marked hole
5) go to home depot and buy the 1.5" or 2" hole cutting saw (depending on size of frame slider, bring it with you to match it up) with pilot drill bit. They sell it to cut doorknobs, etc.
6) carefully and slowly drill the 2" hole out of the plastic, inside out on a think rubber mat

There is a post on here with pictures, it came out awesome.

I personally wouldnt put them on, thats what insurance is for

Mike
Thanks a ton for the advise, it sounds easy using the steps you suggested, I'll give it a shot.....
I know about the insurance and stuff but if I were to lay her down lightly some unfortunate time and not cause much damage, I'm hoping the sliders would reduce that minimal damage a bit more.....I'm one of those guys that needs his bike spotless and totally scratchless all the time.
I have an all black bird with the carbon sliders and bar ends rear hugger ....getting as many carbon pieces as I can to replace the stock plastic ones......needless to say this is strictly for show.....no race or weight related reasons at all...hahahahah

G'day.

I ran a post a few weeks ago under modifications - heaps of response there.

I havent done anything yet about it as i cant find the right sliders here in Singapore so my bike is still intact.

I have the faring mount ones on at the moment but its true that the bolt is just too thin and will probably snap at the first slide. I put the on more for static drops - just in case (happened once - dont want it to happen again). If your bike slides - its gonna get damaged anyhow.

Paul.

Someone on this board...uhh...I think it's SirUKBusa, who has frame sliders that mount directly into the fairing bolt hole.  Now, I would love this.  I'm kinda like mikey, and I'm not cuttin' sh^t on my bike.

Brian
The sliders that go into the fairing bolt holes won't hold up if you lay it down. The bolt is to small and it will snap off.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

I do it a little different but it cones out clean fvery time.  

1.  Locate approx where you are going to put the slider with the fearing on the bike.  
2.  Drill a 3/8" hole from the outside (it doesn't have to be right on)  
3.  Enlarge the hole with a dremal tool to about an inch centering it arount the mounting hole as you go.
4.  Thread the bolt and fraim slider in and spin it.  (this will put a light mark in your paint)
5.  Use the dremal to cut out to the marks.  

Take your time and you won't even be able to see a seam between the slider and the plastic.

Sounds good guys - but scarey
wow.gif

I need to do this too. I have theft and liability ins. But if I do something stupid and put the beast down its all on me $$$
Got any pics gents?

this is my only pic.......cut the holes man, I'm sure it's worth it. It's not that tough to do either. Just take your time and mark everything and double check it before you cut anything.

right_side_slider.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back