Frame Sliders Question

MoNoXiDe

Registered
I've been back and forth on frame sliders. I've had my good friend tell me that its pointless and others say they wouldn't have a bike without them.

Also, if I do put them on. Is there a way to put them on without cutting the fairing?

I've been back and forth on frame sliders. I've had my good friend tell me that its pointless and others say they wouldn't have a bike without them.

Also, if I do put them on. Is there a way to put them on without cutting the fairing?

Be ready for a 50/50 split in opinion here as well.

My 2 cents (actually my standard answer everytime the topic of FRAME SLIDERS comes up):
* ANY IS BETTER THAN NONE. Best for driveway tip-overs to help minimize damage to the fairing (no brand out there can give a 100% guarantee of ZERO fairing damage). Hence, NOT called FAIRING sliders
* nothing against the CUT version: but I cannot justify cutting holes in a perfect fairing to save it from scratches
* which is why I am partial to the T-Rex No Cut slider. Yes, I have crash-tested a set on my old 08 (a few riders here also have). Did its job to protect the FRAME as designed.

Lots of threads/posts with pictures here but below is a generic internet pic. This link has lots of pics by PASHNIT: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/136856-t-rex-no-cut-frame-slider-yes-no.html

197404d1281324630-t-rex-no-cut-frame-slider-yes-no-n608.jpg

My buddy said that if you wreck and have the sliders on, it can bend the frame. Once frame bent your SOL. You can replace the rest. My thinking is if I wreck hard enough to bend the frame im SOL anyway.

My buddy said that if you wreck and have the sliders on, it can bend the frame. Once frame bent your SOL. You can replace the rest. My thinking is if I wreck hard enough to bend the frame im SOL anyway.

BINGO.....frame/fairing damage is the LEAST of my worries (vs. broken bones, scraped skin, cracked skull or worse.). Thus far, none of the riders who crashed with CUT sliders (which mount directly onto the frame) reported damaging their frame. The detractors for the NO CUT version regurgitate 2nd hand reports of radiator damage (then again, none of the owners who used it reported any). And again, rad damage is the least on my mind in a spill.

FWIW, I added FORK SLIDERS (not sure about FUNCTION, more for FORM to match the frame sliders). And being the geek that I am, also used matching SPOOLS

N608FI.jpg
20820d1239156558-t-rex-10mm-spools-swingarm-sliders-trex.jpg

Ive heard bad things about frame sliders. They might save a fairing in a garage tip over or something like that but if your in an actual wreck at a high rate of speed is a different story. Some people get them for piece of mind but alot of posts I read about frame bending and how they werent designed for street use and cause the bike to flip etc etc. I decided to spend my money and time in better protective gear for myself for those just in case emergencies :whistle:

Be ready for a 50/50 split in opinion here as well.

My 2 cents (actually my standard answer everytime the topic of FRAME SLIDERS comes up):
* ANY IS BETTER THAN NONE. Best for driveway tip-overs to help minimize damage to the fairing (no brand out there can give a 100% guarantee of ZERO fairing damage). Hence, NOT called FAIRING sliders
* nothing against the CUT version: but I cannot justify cutting holes in a perfect fairing to save it from scratches
* which is why I am partial to the T-Rex No Cut slider. Yes, I have crash-tested a set on my old 08 (a few riders here also have). Did its job to protect the FRAME as designed.

Lots of threads/posts with pictures here but below is a generic internet pic. This link has lots of pics by PASHNIT: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/136856-t-rex-no-cut-frame-slider-yes-no.html

197404d1281324630-t-rex-no-cut-frame-slider-yes-no-n608.jpg
I've got the no cuts on my 06 Busa and tipped it over in the garage...yea it saved the new cowlings i just put on week before.. but the mount bent causing the bar going across to flex into a strap for radiator unbenownced to me... end result. fan shroud wore hole in rad. DO NOT buy a cheap $125 new one of ebay. THEY ARE CRAP ! dont fit right at all. Went thru 2 trying to get it running again. Ended up with used one at same cost that went right in and running within 30 mins vs the 1-2 hrs on other! T-Rex would not stand by the mount stating they are desgined to bend. I wasnt happy. When I tipped it over, went to pick bike up and it slid 8 inches as stand was partially under bike. small scratches on hump of cowling. I went with no cuts as the panels cost me $580 from RiverRat Motorsports in kingman az.. they were $750 where I live. good luck to all and safe riding.

If you fall over, your fairings are going to get scratched up....with or without sliders.

I had some on my 06 ....low speed fall over and still scratched up my fairings, pipe, cover, ...... So when I replaced them with new fairings, I chose not to cut up my new fairings trying to protect them.

With that said...like the ones Krom posted...you wont have to work on the fairings to install. But like #1Busa posted...if your slider grabs asphalt or dirt...flippy flippy.

To me they are point less. I've seen a simple lowside turn so bad because they hook into the ground and cause the bike to go tumbling. Also, they can damage the frame and engine. I don't care if your bike just tips over in the driveway, your fairing are still getting scratched up. Ask me how I know.

Well.... I don't necessarily hate the low profile ones. Its the ones that stick out you really have to watch.

I let my bike fall off the stand in the driveway. I got off to close the gate and apparently didn't have the stand agains the stop securely. $3000 insurance claim. No sh!t. The no cuts were on back order. I put cuts on before it came of the lift after I put it back together. I tested my right side slider by allowing a fall over in a parking lot at work. Price tag. $0 Go push you friend's bike over and ask him his opinion again.

My name is Fallen. I got that the hard way. People who say sliders don't work are just flat wrong. Frame sliders protect you in low speed crashes and standing still tip overs. Insurance protects you from more than that. Get the sliders, get insurance. This is a no brainer both because it's an easy right decision to add them to the bike and because it's brainless to not do it.

Yep, Arch and I had this conversation during one of the stops on a ride just a few hours before I posted. :)

How many can say that their bike fell over with sliders, and no damage was done to the bike other than the impact marks on the slider itself? Likely no one.
From what I see here, most are very particular about their bike. Even a small scratch means a new fairing.
As mentioned above, let a slider bite the road with a little speed, and the bike is flipped over, or flipping multiple times.
This always results in more damage than a lowside slide(unless there's a hard sudden stop that kills the bike anyway).
No one can predict what will happen in any crash, so I don't think that there can be a right or wrong answer.
You either want them on your bike or you don't.
The B-King I recently got came with some heavy duty frame mounted sliders(Puig I think). Given the mounting point and lengths of both, I can see them saving the engine from impact in a fall(it also sits higher than the Busa).
I personally hate sliders and I have never nor will I ever buy them(they remind me of training wheels:laugh:), but I have that feeling that as soon as I take them off, the bike will fall over and break something expensive that's needed to ride(scratches don't bother me).
I'de base it on looks, you either like the looks of them or you don't. Because they can help out in a crash, or help total the bike.

All valid points and well taken. I am not saying that I didn't get small scratches on the lower fairing when I parking lot tested them, because I did. I can live with those. The scratches on the intire left side of the previous drop were a different story. They way I ride, if the bike goes down in and off... it's probably going to be totaled anyway. :laugh:

I slide my busa 50-60 feet down the road on a rainy day drop at about 25-30 mph and the frame and case sliders saved it from any major plastic damage! I trashed my throttle lock bar end, scraped a lever on the road down side and the windshield broke one of the mounting holes. About $250 in damage. I use T-rex no-cut sliders and in 3 drops the bar running from one side to the other has never been bent or damaged in any way. At low speed the bike is probably not going to have enough momentum to flip even if it catches on something. Usually the bike will hit something like that and spin but not flip. Anything can happen in a crash, but sliders do work and they save damage cost in minor crashes. Sliders can catch in a higher speed crash and result in more damage but who is to say the bike wasn't going to be damaged anyway at high speed. There are racers who use sliders, so that says something. More important than the frame sliders are the case sliders. Good low speed crash protection includes frame sliders, case sliders and even fork sliders. Remember for a touring rider being able to ride away from a crash even with minor damage can be worth $1000 in just getting the bike transported home. So when on a trip I always take a roll of duct tape in my crash survival pack. Also, AAA has RV coverage that cover towing above 100 miles.

Back