Frame sliders...Love 'em or Hate 'em

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
People install frame sliders to prevent damage to the plastics.

But for me,installing them ruins the plastics.

On the Gen II I just bought/sold...I hated them so much I had to replace a lower fairing...not because it was damaged...but because it had a hole drilled in it for a slider.:banghead:

Who in their right mind replaces a fairing before it gets damaged.:cookoo:

I do.:laugh:

I have a line on another great deal. 2009 with low miles and some sweet goodies. One of the things holding me back...yup...frame sliders.:cursin:

Slide this:smileyexhibit: you fairing drillin' bastids...

RSD.

have you looked into the T-Rex no cut sliders? I have them on my Gen 1 and love it. I'm pretty sure another member on here has them on his gen 2

Yep! go with the T-Rex frame sliders. They go right on and no drilling or modifying, I have them on my bike and love 'em.
I also got a set of T-Rex front & rear lift stands. However I may have to take the front axle sliders off to use the front bike lift.

You know frame sliders was one of the very first things I had done. Had the dealership put them on. They did a good job cutting the plastics but if I had it to do all over again I wouldnt wasted the money on it. I mean if the bike goes down you are going to scratch the plastics anyway and frame sliders wont help. If its a bad get off then frame sliders probably wont matter anyways. I should have opted to get something like woodcraft stator covers and such to protect it if I crash cause that and the clutch cover is what is most vulnerable anyways. I think it would have been money better spent but oh well whats done is done and i dont have $800 to replace the plastics anyways.

I pay for insurance instead of putting fugly sliders on . If you go down you are gonna have to get them involved no matter what.

i love my extended sliders. when am on long highways, i rest my legs on em. You know, like the harleys guys lol

i love my extended sliders. when am on long highways, i rest my legs on em. You know, like the harleys guys lol

..........:rofl:

hd nutz.jpg

I'm with ya Rub, never had them on my '00 all those years of riding as thought it messed up the clean look of the bike.

But I did replace the lower panels several times through the years from tip overs. Would snag them off ebay whenever a gen-I blue/silver came up in decent shape. Just the price ya pay for those smokin' good looks. :thumbsup:

8162615354_03568bdba8_o.jpg

8429372098_79ab35dafc_o.jpg

I'm with ya Rub, never had them on my '00 all those years of riding as thought it messed up the clean look of the bike.

But I did replace the lower panels several times through the years from tip overs. Would snag them off ebay whenever a gen-I blue/silver came up in decent shape. Just the price ya pay for those smokin' good looks. :thumbsup:

8162615354_03568bdba8_o.jpg

8429372098_79ab35dafc_o.jpg

See even a guy that sells them doesn't want them.

i've heard horror stories about frames getting wrenched up in a wreck because of sliders. whether true or not? i don't know but i bowed out because of that and cutting my plastics. like mentioned above, my insurance will cover the damage when that time comes.

I have the cut type that I installed. I took my time and they look factory, however I do believe that i would pass on them next time.

IMG_20100822_132718.jpg

IMG_20100822_133210.jpg

oh yea, they have served no purpose (not a bad thing). i bought them because my bike tipped over, and the bike has not been down since.

Frame sliders don't save plastics, except for a garage or parking lot tip over. I have mine so the frame doesn't get too banged up if I go down.

Truth be told the bike will most likely be totaled out by the insurance.

You know frame sliders was one of the very first things I had done. Had the dealership put them on. They did a good job cutting the plastics but if I had it to do all over again I wouldnt wasted the money on it. I mean if the bike goes down you are going to scratch the plastics anyway and frame sliders wont help. If its a bad get off then frame sliders probably wont matter anyways. I should have opted to get something like woodcraft stator covers and such to protect it if I crash cause that and the clutch cover is what is most vulnerable anyways. I think it would have been money better spent but oh well whats done is done and i dont have $800 to replace the plastics anyways.

You hit the nail on the head with that one as i think that sliders end up doing more damage especially if the top slider snaps off the engine bolt after a spill.If anything spend the money on upgrading your insurance policy and cover your arse for all eventualities.

I had a set put on my 08, 2 years ago I had a get off and she hit the road going 85, I had scratches on the right side with a chewed up exhaust, they didn't total her out, am I saying there a guarantee, nope but they did save my right side from a lot more damage then if I didn't have them.

Don't like the look and why mess up the aerodynamics with some knobs poking out of your plastics. I'm sure my fat A$$ does more to screw up aeros than any frame slider would but it's the principle that gets to me.

Back