Fram Synthetic oil filter

stangman327

Registered
Do they make these for the Busa? Yes I did look but couldn't find.

Fram filter.jpg

Man, I don't know. i would think if they make them for bikes surely they make them for the busa. Check out a part store and see if they do or not. A quick call should get you an answer. I stick with k&N

This is the Fram filter that cross-references with the KN-138, and the only one they show for a Busa in their application lookup: Part Details

For $20, I'll sell you a DIY Fram kit. Elmers glue and metal soda can not included.

You realize that this is the Fram Ultra and not the standard Fram filter. I guys on the website - Bob is the Oil Guy seem to like them and most of them seem to know their stuff pertaining to filters and oil probably a bit better then most of use since that's what they do.

Have you done any research on oil filters or are you just going on what you've heard?

I'm looking for an alternative that has great quality and much more easily obtainable e.g. Walmart

If you order K&N oil filters online you can get them $5-10 cheaper than @ your local autoparts store. So I just buy a couple @ a time and keep them on stand bye for oil changes

I've used the zuki filters on both Busi exclusively. As far as Fram; I've been using them since 1975 without one issue.

Everyone complains about fram filters because they use a cardboard end cap as opposed to metal or plastic.
I've never once hear of anyone having any issues with the cardboard end cap.
Go ahead...try to get paper to stick to metal or plastic better than paper to cardboard using glue.
I used to use them all of the time on my race bike. Now I use purolator pureone filters.

You realize that this is the Fram Ultra and not the standard Fram filter. I guys on the website - Bob is the Oil Guy seem to like them and most of them seem to know their stuff pertaining to filters and oil probably a bit better then most of use since that's what they do.

Have you done any research on oil filters or are you just going on what you've heard?

I'm looking for an alternative that has great quality and much more easily obtainable e.g. Walmart

Soooo, is that a maybe on my kit? I don't know if I can sell it any cheaper, this single kit makes about 10 frame filters so you're looking at $2 a hit per filter. This is great value.

I've got a little can-opener tool that I've had for at least 12 years now, I've always opened every single oil filter of every single car I've bought, built, raced. Let it be Fram, Wix, Purolator, royal purple, no-name store brands, you name it. I do keep up on opinions, I do research failure rate of valves, flow rates, filter surface area, effectiveness. For some reason in my past experience Fram managed to have some of the best valving the prevents drain back. I do understand their higher quality line is worlds beyond their cheapest filter.

In the end we could sit and argue filters if we really wanted, but you know what? Doesn't prove anything to most people and if you're happy with your research then I'm happy you've done it. That and I have nothing to argue in this case anyway because I don't think it's a bad filter.

I'm still going to give them **** for that cheap filter though :) Mostly because those cheap ones leave such a bad taste in your mouth because they are way too expensive for the crap they are; and people still love them, buy them, and swear by them. I'll bypass an oil filter before I run their cheap ****. But like I said, I do realize their higher quality stuff is a different story.

That being said, let me know how many order I can put you down for, for my kit. I suppose I can do a 'buy 9 get the 10th free' deal.

If you order K&N oil filters online you can get them $5-10 cheaper than @ your local autoparts store. So I just buy a couple @ a time and keep them on stand bye for oil changes

Same here. I Buy 3 at a time, to get the most out of s&h charges. Use 1, keep 2 on standbye. Then repeat. :)

Soooo, is that a maybe on my kit? I don't know if I can sell it any cheaper, this single kit makes about 10 frame filters so you're looking at $2 a hit per filter. This is great value.

I've got a little can-opener tool that I've had for at least 12 years now, I've always opened every single oil filter of every single car I've bought, built, raced. Let it be Fram, Wix, Purolator, royal purple, no-name store brands, you name it. I do keep up on opinions, I do research failure rate of valves, flow rates, filter surface area, effectiveness. For some reason in my past experience Fram managed to have some of the best valving the prevents drain back. I do understand their higher quality line is worlds beyond their cheapest filter.

In the end we could sit and argue filters if we really wanted, but you know what? Doesn't prove anything to most people and if you're happy with your research then I'm happy you've done it. That and I have nothing to argue in this case anyway because I don't think it's a bad filter.

I'm still going to give them **** for that cheap filter though :) Mostly because those cheap ones leave such a bad taste in your mouth because they are way too expensive for the crap they are; and people still love them, buy them, and swear by them. I'll bypass an oil filter before I run their cheap ****. But like I said, I do realize their higher quality stuff is a different story.

That being said, let me know how many order I can put you down for, for my kit. I suppose I can do a 'buy 9 get the 10th free' deal.

In that case I'll take 9 and get one free deal!

I have no major problem with Fram and as a matter of fact I have a Fram filter on my Busa right now primarily because the shop down the street was closed and I didn't feel like driving 8 miles to another shop to get the K&N or the zuk filter and I was standing next to the Fram so I pulled the trigger and got it. Bike hasn't blown up so I guess it works, lol.

That's awesome that you actually take the time time to open them up and check them out.

I have to open them up on a few of my cars simply because of how I put the engines together. They (the engines) are so loose because they rev so high I make sure nothing is going wrong with my oiling or bearings by (among other things) checking the filter and sending in an oil sample. I've gotten so used to it and my setup allows me to pop open a filter without any mess in 3 seconds that I might as well just pop them all open from anything I have.

Just, try to stay away from the cheap ones when you can. I've only ever seen them fail on the internet, never in person, but because of their quality I would really rather ride an extra 8 miles to get even a cheaper (not the low end Fram) filter because it's probably going to have a better construction. I personally like Purolator (their gold line), Advance Auto sells them and they actually are a really nice filter. But I run Wix racing filters only when I need them (they filter out less but they have a higher flow rate, which I like for older Volkswagens that never used an oil filter element).

One last thing, funny story, I always check my oil filters before installing them, I was going to put a Mobil1 on a Triumph one day, looked it and it was missing all of the holes that allowed oil to pass through the filter element. It would have just gone straight to the bypass and still would have oiled my engine, but it wouldn't have been filtered at all. I don't know if I would have believed Mobil1 would have put out a filter like that unless it happened to me.

So yeah, just be careful obviously, don't be afraid to order some filters (and even your oil) from Amazon. They have some really killer deals on there, especially if you're a prime member.

I've used a K&N for the entire life of my Busa. Every one has 15K on each filter. (Every 3rd oil change gets a new filter). There is absolutely no difference in the condition of the filter, whether it has 5, 10 or 15K miles on it. Remember, an oil filter is more effective in trapping debris if it already has debris in the filter.

15K filter.jpg

15K filter.jpg

Back