FPS feet per second  at 60mph - how much ground do you cover

• 55ft.

Votes: 64 100.0%

• Total voters

UncleSteve

Gear good - roadrash bad
Donating Member
Registered
Knowing feet per second traveled at diff speeds helps you know when you are gettting in over your head.
Everyone should know how far it takes you to safely stop at diff speeds.

If your reaction time is slow, you can cover a lot of ground.
Big reason to identify a potential hazard early, cover brakes and slow down, prepare to stop or take evasive action. Have a way out. If not reduce speed as much as possible to reduce injury in the event you have a collision.

someone agreed with my pick
smile.gif
no spoiler here...

There is an easy way to figure this in your head.
I will post it up when more vote.

Well let's see....5,280 ft per mile, divided by 60 seconds.......hmmmm....88 ft / per second....then again when I'm covering three miles a minute it is a 3 multiplier which makes it....264 ft per second......movin' man....MOVIN' !!!!!
super.gif

Almost a football field per second.......
coolold.gif
...."oh yes I am"....
super.gif
super.gif
super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

we just round it up, much easier... and unless you are at 500mph not much error
laugh.gif

Used to travel alot with my dad alot as a kid so we covered alot of topics like the big white spots every tenth so the aircraft could time your speed & feet per second,seconds per mile, etc.

1.47 X mph = ft/sec 60mph = 88ft/sec Average driver reaction time is 3/4 second. If you are riding 60 mph (88 ft/sec) and something (deer) runs in front of you, you will travel approx 66 ft before you actually take evasive action (brakes etc). This is about the only thing I remember from Crash Management/Accident Investigation School back in the 80s..
guns.gif

1.47 X mph = ft/sec 60mph = 88ft/sec Average driver reaction time is 3/4 second. If you are riding 60 mph (88 ft/sec) and something (deer) runs in front of you, you will travel approx 66 ft before you actually take evasive action (brakes etc). This is about the only thing I remember from Crash Management/Accident Investigation School back in the 80s..
guns.gif
yes but there is even more bad news about reaction times..

Part of driver training (big rigs) requires you know what stopping a 40 ton truck entails....

Brain, realizes action is necessary .5 to 1 sec
Physical reaction time: the time it takes to move your hand or foot to appropriate device (covering brakes etc reduces this) and can take up to another second

Mechanical reaction time, you now have the idea you need brakes, you have moved your foot and now you got to wait for the brakes to work.. in a big truck this can take up to 2 seconds...

So if think cutting big trucks off is easy pickings, remember that they may need to travel 300+ feet before the brakes are working... Love people that have to pass the truck so they can take the next turn off...

I did the math and figured it out. Not too hard.....Makes you think though about higher speeds and what could happen?
rock.gif

simple way to figure, add half of your speed to your speed. gets you very close.

100mph plus 50 = 150 feet per second.

150mph plus 75 = 225 fps

football field = 300ft.

The formula is 1.466 x speed = FPS

Back