Fork servicing

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
Noticed the forks leaking about 1,500 miles ago but wasn't sure if it just wasn't some accumulation of dust. However, it's back.

I intend to do the seals and replace the oil. At the same time, I'm going to service the header bearings because I'm starting to hear a clunk when I hit the brakes these days.

Is there anything else I SHOULD be aware of and take care of? Is there anything I COULD do with little additional cost?

Gonna get started on this today (ordering parts) and do the work on it next week.

Thanks in advance for your advice, guys and gals!

--Wag--

Last edited by a moderator:
Your steering head bearings are probably fine. I heard the same "clunk" when my fork seal was leaking. I believe the clunk is from the fork that is low on oil... but you might as well check the head bearings while it is torn down!
beerchug.gif

Wag, if you need help let me know! I have never changed fork seals before or have any tools to do it, but I watched a friend do it on his harley and he said I was very helpful standing around drinking his beer and watchind him work. So if you have lots of beer I can be very helpful
poke.gif

(warwgn @ Dec. 08 2006,08:09) Wag, if you need help let me know! I have never changed fork seals before or have any tools to do it, but I watched a friend do it on his harley and he said I was very helpful standing around drinking his beer and watchind him work. So if you have lots of beer I can be very helpful
poke.gif
Dude, I always have beer around for ya whenever you're ready! We don't need no stinkin' forks to work on for an excuse!

--Wag--

It's on then!! Just pm me with the details and I'll come give you a hand on it.
beerchug.gif

Stay tuned. Next week. I'm ordering up the part right now. If I can find them locally, I'll start the project on Sunday. Otherwise, I'm thinking Thursday or Friday next week will be the earliest. I still have to figure out how I'm going to support the bike at this point.

--Wag--

all I got is a rear stand
wow.gif
so no help there.

I'm either going to have to hang it from the ceiling (rigging time) or I'm going to set it on a 2x4 supported by a pair of jack stands.

Actually, now that I think about it, with no front wheel on it, it may set just fine on it's center stand. I'll know when I go to do the work.

--Wag--

I want to do this same work, post up some good pics since there will be a "clean" set of hands there.
laugh.gif

I'll be doing my usual photo documentary. Two reasons, of course. It could be helpful to others and if I make a mistake, hopefully, someone will catch it before I die from it!

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

(Wag @ Dec. 09 2006,07:59) I'll be doing my usual photo documentary.  Two reasons, of course.  It could be helpful to others and if I make a mistake, hopefully, someone will catch it before I die from it!

biggrin.gif

--Wag--
Can't wait to see the photos and finished results, Wag
super.gif
jump9.gif

Might put a heavier spring in it, too. Always seems to dive pretty hard, even if I'm very easy on the brakes for the most part.

--Wag--

(Wag @ Dec. 09 2006,19:26) Might put a heavier spring in it, too.  Always seems to dive pretty hard, even if I'm very easy on the brakes for the most part.

--Wag--
Might as well do the springs and valve kits...then you'll be ready for the track
biggrin.gif

(BA BUSA @ Dec. 09 2006,20:37)
(Wag @ Dec. 09 2006,19:26) Might put a heavier spring in it, too. Always seems to dive pretty hard, even if I'm very easy on the brakes for the most part.

--Wag--
Might as well do the springs and valve kits...then you'll be ready for the track
biggrin.gif
That's what I'm starting to think.

If it isn't too much $$$, I'll probably do exactly that. I'm not interested in creating a track bike, but I'd like to optimize it to some degree while I have it apart.

--Wag--

Charles did his, ask him how much better it handles
biggrin.gif

And you've got 85 lbs on him...you are WAY over the weight rating for the stock set up
tounge.gif

Just went on the Racetech website and used their spring rate calculator, even at a buck 70 (too much Honey-Baked ham Thanksgiving!) it says I need the .95 spring in place of the .85 stock.
SHOCKED.gif

So I'm guessing all you manly men types on the board REALLY need an upgrade when the chance arises! Like tax return time... $$$

Speaking of which, looking at $420 for parts with re-valving included, without tools and talent (mostly!) wouldn't parts and labor at a dealer cost about as much as a new Ohlins set of forks for about $950 from hardracing.com?

Wag, lemme know if you need to use my front stem stand, they make life so much easier....especially when you get to do fork R&R inside the house
smile.gif
If I have time I could offer an extra pair of hands, that'll allow warwgn to polish the beers (I rarely drink) and take pics
smile.gif
You could always knock off an about 30min of the job and pick up the Fork Service Tool Kit from Traxxion $89, has the manual compressor, fluid fill and checker, purge rod etc...

Charlie

smile.gif

Back