Fork Service TIME! Need ur help..

BUSA_CHeMiST

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, so after an EXTREMELY long saturday at a buddy's shop trying to diagnose my front end problem, the conclusion was reached that it is time for me to service my forks. I purchased the bike (2002 model) with 6500 miles on it, it currently has 11,000 miles on it and I can't say with any certainty that the previous owner did any type of service on the forks (or anything else for that matter).

So, with that being said, I will perform the fork service myself and have a few questions...

1. What does everyone use to keep front end up??? I only have a front fork m/c stand and obviously that wont do.

Now, onto the list of parts/tools/fluids...please add to the list if I have left something out...

OIL SEALS (2) *approx $13.42 each*
-part # is 51153-02FA0

DUST SEALS (2) *approx $14.29 each*
-part # is 51173-02FA0

FORK OIL WASHER (2) *approx $2.67 each*
-part # is 51158-14200

Fork Oil -- 10W -- Suzuki dealer??

Tools of the trade...
Fork spring compressor kit from Traxxion Dynamics
-CLICKY LINK FOR KIT

So if anyone has anything to add, please please POST UP!!! I will be taking advantage of my service manual and the write-up CAT3 did (even though the pics dont look like they will be available)

Thanks!
Chemist.

I need this info too. I'm about to do the same rebuild do to a minor leak in the clutch side fork.

I need all the info I can get. I have torn apart just about everything, but I haven't pulled a set of forks. I have definitely not taken a set of forks apart. Now is the time to learn a new trick.

Revvv, not sure when u are plannin on doin urs, but I will have all the parts and info gathered by June 4th, the day I get off the rig. I will start it that day around lunch, FULL picture documentation for entire service.

Will also be picking up a speed bleeder to go ahead and change clutch/brake fluid as well.

bump.gif

There is a sticky on this with how to make your own 'special' tools and everything in the maintenance and do it yourself section.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=24;t=64545

There are many ways you can hold the front up. you can put a jack underneath, you could hang from the ceiling or rafters or possibly even a ladder. Ideally you need a stem stand.

from readin a few old posts, looks like the seals really don't have a good estimate on how long they last. some people claimed they had friends that wheelied the bike hard for 20,000+ miles and never had a problem, others said their seals went bad about 7'000 miles

Suzuki says to "check" both front a rear suspension every 7,000 miles or 12 months.

In my case, my front suspension settings on the forks are not doing any good, which should be a good indication that my fork oil is bad and/or my seals need to be changed. I havent had a seal actually leak yet, but with the play and problems i feel in the front suspension, im sure its about to reach that point...(no, i dont wheelie my bike AT ALL)

I used a rear stand and then floor jack to get front end in air. Once up I tied it off with straps from triple tree to ceiling. Just be sure straps are straight up vertically or bike will rock on stand.
Follow the manual to remove forks. Fairly easy job. I cheated and sent mine off to Traxxion Dynamics for a complete rebuild. Well worth the money.
thumb_up.gif

forks__5_.JPG

Thanks PD for the visual,

Even though i dont have any way of suspending anything from my ceiling in my garage, i' thing i can stabilize the bike enough with a jack and some wood blocks on the headers like u got. Looks like it will be fairly decent.

Yea I have a friend with an R6 that just popped his seals for the second time in 2 years and I kind of put the bike down hard when on one wheel, so I was just checking.

Good luck with your install chemist

Thanks PD for the visual,

Even though i dont have any way of suspending anything from my ceiling in my garage, i' thing i can stabilize the bike enough with a jack and some wood blocks on the headers like u got.  Looks like it will be fairly decent.
Overhead garage door opener? Or just throw some eye bolts into a beam? Just be careful using jack under headers, I strapped mine up so there wasn't constant weight on them. If you can get something so more weight is on oil pan it may be better?
dunno.gif
maybe one of our more enlightened techs will post soon.

I just got mine done at 11000 miles. I used the rear stand and eye hooks in the garage beamswith straps and just cranked the front end up with no jack (aftermarket exhaust). I think straps are the safest way to go no way the bike can fall unless a strap or hook breaks.

Oh yea, when out yesterday for the first time since its like a new bike no more wallowing in the corners in just falls over and runs in nice line.

Thanks PD, will use the garage door idea.

My garage has the popcorn sheetrock lookin stuff on the ceiling, but i might just bite the bullet and run a solid eye bolt into a crossbeam up there. Like u said, as long as I can split the weight between the straps going up and the jack underneath it should do it.

beerchug.gif
Ya'll really get my noodle workin overtime!
bowdown.gif

I'll post pics of everything when i get started on it.

Screw hanging from the ceiling...

Go out and buy a articulated front stand the has a pin that fits the steering stem from the bottom.

It does the same thing as the one B-12 showed, but is more portable.

Blue

If you've got a ladder big enough with high enough capacity you could use that too.  I've used a ladder to hold up the rear end before.  Just stradle the front of the bike with the ladder (if it fits) and use straps to hoist it up.

Not sure if it will work on the front, but here are pics from the back. I'd try to set the straps farther apart.

post-6-84608-busa_back1.jpg

post-6-84151-busa_side.jpg

Screw hanging from the ceiling...

Go out and buy a articulated front stand the has a pin that fits the steering stem from the bottom.

It does the same thing as the one B-12 showed, but is more portable.

Blue

I appreciate the response blue, and I am just as intent as the next guy to have the "right" tool for the job, but i've already got a front stand and really the idea behind me doing this myself is to NOT have to shell out the big bucks.

Not sure how much a stem stand is these days (i've had my stands for a few years now) but i think PD and BBB's ideas are fuctionally sound.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Back