Fork Service How-To

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
First off, the fork seen in the pics if from a 2005 GSXR1k, the difference are min. but as follows:
- Busa has a larger 30mm hex ontop of the fork nut
- Busa has an Aluminum Spacer rather then the white plastic one seen on the 1k. As part of the 1k, there is a cup on the end of the fork nut to keep the spacer from getting chewed up. The Busa has a cup b/w the spring and spacer, not the spacer and fork nut.

Begining.... How to Make a Fork Service "Tool Kit"
I used a 2" I.D. galvanized pipe from Home Depot Plumbing Department. 2each 1/2" -13 24" long threaded rod, with 2 matching nuts. Drill a 1/2" hole in both sides of the pipe, as straight across as possible. Tap the holes with a 1/2" -13 tap. Grind down one end of each threaded rod, making it approx. 5/16" dia. Thread a nut onto each grounded end about 2", and thread the rod into the pipe. This is now your spring compressor.
Next, using a galvanized piece of steel, I drilled 7/16" hole, about the middle of the plate, and then cut it using a dremel, so there is a channel. This is the spacer-jam.

Now for the fun part. Remove one fork, grab a friend and enjoy!

**NOTE** IF YOU ARE ONLY CHANGING SPRINGS, FLUID AND OR SEALS, DO NOT TAKE THE CARTRIDGE OUT. JUST PUMP THE FLUID OUT AND SKIP TO THE SEAL, OR FLUID PART.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Loosen the fork nut, preferable while still bolted to the triple clamp. Then unscrew it from the upper fork tube as shown here.
Link Removed

Slide the upper fork tube down to the bottom position.
Link Removed

Slip your fork spring compressor you just made over the fork nut, thread the rods so the ground down end is inside the hole of the spacer (white plastic tube, but on the Busa its aluminum).
Link Removed

Have you assistant hold the fork tube steady, while you compress the spring. Once compressed your assistant needs to slide the spacer-jam over the spacer and below the jam-nut. This will capture the spring in a compressed state, allowing access to hold the jam-nut so you can unscrew the fork nut.
Link Removed

Looking down from the top, the pins engaged into the spacer.
Link Removed

Compressing the spring, not so easy for a lil 165lb stud like me but it can be done (FWIW the stock 1K springs are also .95kg springs).
Link Removed

Sliding the spacer-jam into position, again, below the jamnut and above the spacer.
Link Removed

Close-up of the spacer-jam
Link Removed

17mm wrench on the jam-nut, and socket on the fork nut, loosen it up man!
Link Removed

Remove the fork nut.
Link Removed

Link Removed

Remove the Rebound Adjustment Rod, simply pull up, watch out there is oil inside it.
Link Removed

Compress the spring again so you can remove the spacer-jam. It wont necessarily go shooting up out, but it will pop back up a little so keep control of the compressor tool.
Link Removed

Spring compressed and spacer-jam removed, carefully lift the compressor up and remove the spacer.
Link Removed

Next pull the spring out. *NOTE* on the Busa there will be a small metal cup ontop of the spring, make sure you check how it is placed on the spring.
Link Removed

Invert forks to drain oil.
Link Removed

Upside right, we slide the upper tube off the lower tube.
Link Removed

Invert lower tube, grab the cartridge and pump a few times to finish draining as much old fork oil as possible.
Link Removed

Link Removed

Invert lower fork, holding cartridge rod to the side, and remove the 10mm hex head bolt. There is a copper washed on the bolt.
Link Removed

Pull the cartridge out and pump to remove all oil.
Link Removed

The bolt and copper washer. Clean the bolt and replace the copper washer.
Link Removed

Carefully pull the dust cover or wiper out, careful not to scratch the inner fork tube.
Link Removed

Wiper out!
Link Removed

Remove the Seal retainer spring. Simply pull one side out, and rotate around, it is a split ring fitted into a groove.
Link Removed

Seal retainer ring out!
Link Removed

Carefully pry the seal out, again, dont scratch the inner tube area.
Link Removed

Seal seat, under the seal, just wipe it clean so you can inspect the inner race/bushing.
Link Removed

I used a Q-tip to clean the gasket area that the copper washer will seat, for the cartridge bolt.
Link Removed

Insert cartridge, and press the top over to one side. Locktite the bolt, insert in bottom of lower tube, and tighten to spec.
Link Removed

Tightened down!
Link Removed

Now THAT, my friend, was awesome!

--Wag--

Hold the rod up for easier filling. Start out with about a 1/4 qt. Then pump the cartrdige, it will drop level quickly as the air is removed from inside the cartridge.
Link Removed

Just a bonus shot
smile.gif

Link Removed

Install Seal seat.
Link Removed

Install seal, PN face you as your pressing them in.
Link Removed

Install seal retaining ring, press it into the groove and work it around. If its not in the groove the seal is not fully seated.
Link Removed

Install Dust wiper, simply press into fully seated position.
Link Removed

Installed view, lube the wiper and seal inside surface to prevent seal damage during assemby.
Link Removed

Carefully slide upper tube over lower tube, and work its way down to the fully seated position. If there is any resistance you may have a bent fork (this was the case on this particular fork set).
Link Removed

Go ahead and fill with fork oil. Once full, pump the cartridge rod about 10 times, and then let sit a few minutes to ensure all air is out of the system. After that you triple check fluid level, and make sure its full.
Link Removed

I used the Rebound adjustment rod to mark the 3.9" that the Busa requires the fork fluid to be at. Measurement is taken from the top, with the upper tube fully bottomed out on lower tube. Draw a mark at appropriate level.
Link Removed

Hold rod inside tube, and the bottom of the rod should barely touch the end of the rod when the mark is level with the top of the tubes.
Link Removed

Install new spring, or old one if you like. Lower it in so you dont splash oil everywhere.
Link Removed

Grab the spacer and compressor, place over the fork springs, and compress once again, and slip the spacer-jam into position. Before you compress, lift the rod to the fullest extended position, it will sink slowly as your compressing, so work quick. If its too low to get the jam plate in, thread fork nut onto rod and lift the rod while compressing spring.
Link Removed

Before final install of fork nut, measure to ensure there is 11mm of thread showing from end of the rod to top of nut. If not your adjustment range will be hindered. Also, locktite on the fork nut. Tighen fork nut while holding jam-nut.
Link Removed

Compress spring again to remove the plate. Let the spacer assembly ride up and engage the fork nut.
Link Removed

Lift the upper fork tube up, and tighten the fork nut to the upper tube. Congrats your done! Not really, you have one more fork to do. But dont you already feel better about this!
Link Removed

Wow! Didnt realize we'd use 52 shots, but hey, the more pics hopefully = less confusion! Enjoy. Making this tool, which I just brainstormed last night, and then rebuilding this one fork, pausing for photo ops took about 1.5hrs. Just doing the other fork, without photos took about 23minutes.

Safety tip...wear goggles when grinding! I just got back from the ER getting a piece of metal out of my pupil! Nothing like having an 18g needle used to scrape the debris out, followed by a light grinding (yes the irony...go to ER becuz a grinding incident and get fixed with a grinder!). So blurry vision in left eye for the next few days as the cornea heals. Oh well.

Dayyyuuuuum Cat3, this is probably one the best DIY second to the ones I do
biggrin.gif
  My only gripe is that you should have uploaded the photos to the site so they would be permanent along with the instruction.  Other than that  you did an excellent job.

Thank you

TY                

P.S. And somebody (MODERATOR) please make this a sticky.  
super.gif

Slip your fork spring compressor you just made over the fork nut, thread the rods so the ground down end is inside the hole of the spacer (white plastic tube, but on the Busa its aluminum).
[/Quote]

Did you have to drill the holes in the white tube or aluminum spacer on your Busa or are they already there ?

Nope, the holes are there from factory in both the nylon and stock busa aluminum spacers. Theres a set at top and bottom, so you can flip the Busa spacer upside down and it wont matter.

Don't know why it took me til now to find this but thanks for the walk through! I have been looking for this for a while.
beerchug.gif

No problem guys, glad I could actually contribute to the board in a useful, productive manner. Hope this helps others.

Just help BBBusa change out his fork seal and dust boots. Instead using the plate place beneath the lock nut we had to improvise with using two tie down straps hold the two handle on the compressing tool with a wire tied just below the lock nut when reinstalling to prevent the cartridge from sliding back into the shock tube.

Compression tool held in place with tie down straps.

DSC01021.jpg

Heres a photo of our specail tool (wire) tied just below the locknut for reinstallation.

DSC01025.jpg

This is great as I will be changing my springs soon, BTW do I have to pull the forks off the bike or can I just take them apart from the top after removing handle bar assembly?

(05BusaLe @ Feb. 04 2007,21:06) This is great as I will be changing my springs soon, BTW do I have to pull the forks off the bike or can I just take them apart from the top after removing handle bar assembly?
It'd be awfully hard to drain if you can't turn them upside down.

Back