fork seals

It's not a tough job to replace the fork seals yourself. Oil seal $18, same for dust seal if you decide to replace it. Another $10 for fork oil. If the fork is off the bike it takes about 30 minutes to do the job (Per Fork Leg).

Man don't let the stealership rob you blind on this one!!!!

If you are mechanically inclined at all do a search on here for the tutorial ( I think the guys username is Cat3....forgive me if that's wrong)somebody here can give you the correct name if I'm wrong...

His tutorial is top-notch...you will have to make a couple of "home-made" tools to do it with..I spent about $15 to make them myself...bought the seals and dust covers for about $60 total and am just waiting on my stuff to arrive from Charles (StreetnTrack...one of our sponsors) and am gonna do it myself....

Don't trust the stealership to do anything to your bike...Buddy of mine took his new '08 in to get his first oil change done and a look over on the bike, and $160 bucks later he got it back.... I was looking at it this past weekend and looked down at the chain adjustment on the left side and his lock-nut on the chain adjuster had spun all the way out to the end of the adjuster... just free-floating around....dopes had not even remembered to tighten it....
guns.gif
stealerships.....

Don't mean to rant but they just are incompetent in some places...check your bike out if you let them do anything...

I had to replace a set on the road and paid $340 at a yamaha shop. The Vmax seals are the same! As I was stuck, without getting it done, I was glad I had the cash in my pocket.

Man don't let the stealership rob you blind on this one!!!!

If you are mechanically inclined at all do a search on here for the tutorial ( I think the guys username is Cat3....forgive me if that's wrong)somebody here can give you the correct name if I'm wrong...

His tutorial is top-notch...you will have to make a couple of "home-made" tools to do it with..I spent about $15 to make them myself...bought the seals and dust covers for about $60 total and am just waiting on my stuff to arrive from Charles (StreetnTrack...one of our sponsors) and am gonna do it myself....

Don't trust the stealership to do anything to your bike...Buddy of mine took his new '08 in to get his first oil change done and a look over on the bike, and $160 bucks later he got it back.... I was looking at it this past weekend and looked down at the chain adjustment on the left side and his lock-nut on the chain adjuster had spun all the way out to the end of the adjuster... just free-floating around....dopes had not even remembered to tighten it....
guns.gif
stealerships.....

Don't mean to rant but they just are incompetent in some places...check your bike out if you let them do anything...
thumb_up.gif

If you're time is more valuable to you and you want someone to do the work... almost 80% of all techs will and regularly do work on the "side" I have one doing mine.... I pulled mine off the bike and he did them for 50, including the seals....just another option out there

ha i had to have a fork seal replaced and i dont know what it cost but that and a full service ran me $300

Just get the spring compressor, cartridge bleed tool and fork oil level tool from traxxion dynamics. They will provide you with all the technical info you need. A centre pin style pit bull stand will make the job easier because you can pull the forks off. Sure there will be some outlay of cash initially but it will pay for itself with one seal change. Since you have it all apart, it might be time for that spring upgrade while you're at it, if you weigh over 200 lbs. There is another tool to remove the cartridge but you don't need it for a seal change.

Back