fork seals

bigmac0331

Donating Member
Registered
I just noticed that my wifes busa needs new fork seals. Not really sure why...the bike only has about 6k on it and it doesn't get abused at all...what does it take to replace them? How much do they cost? How much of a P.I.T.A is it?

The cost of the seal is less than twenty bucks. I think I pay around $16 at the dealer for genuine suzuki seals. It's the same seal as the GSXR1K. I keep a couple of seals in my tool box just in case and I change the seals and fork oil annually even if they don't leak. It also takes 480cc's of fork oil or 532cc's in the 08 forks. Oil is only about five bucks.

Replacing a fork seal is really very easy. Takes longer to get the fork off the bike than it does to change the seal. The biggest note is to make sure you have all the oil removed from the fork assembly so it's not over filled when you add the proper measurement of oil.

If you have a service manual, it will show you step by step how to get the job done. The only special tool you'll need is an 8mm hex wrench (has to be a long one in order to remove the bolt/drain plug in the lower fork leg)Use a torque wrench when reassembling the unit.

Give her a shot. There is not much you can screw up as the fork assembly is very simple.

Also, it will cost you much less if you take the forks off the bike and take them to your dealer for service. Once the fork is off the bike it's only about a twenty minute job to replace the seal.

Part Numbers:
Fork seal "“ 51153-02FA0
Dust seal "“ 51173-02FA0

If you are careful taking the dust seal out, you can easily reuse it.

I took my forks off, sent them FedEx to Traxxion Dynamics and had them rebuilt/resprung/revalved and shipped FedEx back for 650.00.
thumb_up.gif

If you don't have the tool to take forks apart, at least get them off bike and take to shop like that. That could be about 2 hours of charged labor.

If you follow the string that Cat 3 put together it shows the entire process as well as how to fabricate the special tools you'll need to compress the spring and disassemble the forks. That combined with the online manual was all I needed to do mine last year. Good luck!
-Jim

Back